• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Repurposeing Google Assistant button.

Search This thread

ScorpioViking

Dec 14, 2014
Any suggestion on how to remap Google Assistant button on Sony Xperia 1 iii to take screenshots instead of having to press volume down button at same time as power button?

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2

alternatively, just press the button and tell google assistant to take a screenshot.

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
I was able to remap my assistant button. I do not know if my previous uninstall of Google as well as the Google assistant App(s) had any bearing on the results...but I did use ADB to uninstall those things and it did disable the button, because when the phone was unlocked pressing the button did nothing at all. However, I did notice that when the phone was locked if I pressed the assistant button it would call up the login screen, so evidently it was still doing something!
At any rate this is how I did it:

github.com

Release 0.6.0 · ivaniskandar/shouko

Add Assistant Button Override support for Xperia 1 III and 10 III (Thanks to @malibcia, @TheNetAdmin and @andreidobrica for testing) Fix Assistant Button Override not working when Google app is uni...
github.com

I want to thank each and every person who provided all this information as well as for the technical know-how to make this work!!!

I just wanted to add that when I press the assistant button the app I chose (for now the settings app) opens immediately with no hesitation at all.

ScorpioViking

Dec 14, 2014
Folks: Sorry to disappoint but regrettably I'm not digitally savvy enough, yet, to understand your responses; but does this entail having to root my phone with the possibility of it being bricked at some point? In these Covid-19 times can't afford that, essentially, having to buy a new one.

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
Folks: Sorry to disappoint but regrettably I'm not digitally savvy enough, yet, to understand your responses; but does this entail having to root my phone with the possibility of it being bricked at some point? In these Covid-19 times can't afford that, essentially, having to buy a new one.
The post/link by jaseman is also discussed in the thread link I posted. xda has been deleting duplicate threads, and your thread maybe a duplicate of the thread I posted which is why I redirected you there.

Anyway, as recommended, you should use the app above, Shouko / XPERI+. I quote from their github readme:
  • Assistant Button Override
    This feature is available on Xperia 5 II, Xperia 10 III, Xperia 1 III.
    Launches an app or a shortcut when the Assistant button is pressed. You can also disable the button completely.
    This feature needs READ_LOGS and WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS permission granted manually with ADB or root. A guide to grant this permission is available in the app.
As mentioned, root is optional. You can use ADB if you don't want to root your phone. I didn't root mine, I used ADB and it works nicely when I tried it out. There are also instructions posted in the app on how to grant those ADB permissions, but if you need more help, feel free to ask.

Btw, If you use side sense as I do, you can also set a gesture to take a screenshot. I went back to this as I wanted to use the button for Google Assistant after all.

Last edited:

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
I have disabled my google button, i never use it.
I can't stand to have a button there and not use it for something. Since I use a Spigen rugged armor case I suppose I could just cut off the rubber part that covers the button and then it would basically not be there, but I prefer to assign it to a hidden, encrypted, password app that I have been using for years. I press the button and open the database with my fingerprint. Works great!

Reactions: bricky23

aaronbs

Aug 22, 2018
Hello,

Anyone knows why it is show me an error when I try to do the Read permissions?

"Error: no permission specified"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can't stand to have a button there and not use it for something. Since I use a Spigen rugged armor case I suppose I could just cut off the rubber part that covers the button and then it would basically not be there, but I prefer to assign it to a hidden, encrypted, password app that I have been using for years. I press the button and open the database with my fingerprint. Works great!
    I was able to remap my assistant button. I do not know if my previous uninstall of Google as well as the Google assistant App(s) had any bearing on the results...but I did use ADB to uninstall those things and it did disable the button, because when the phone was unlocked pressing the button did nothing at all. However, I did notice that when the phone was locked if I pressed the assistant button it would call up the login screen, so evidently it was still doing something!
    At any rate this is how I did it:

github.com

Release 0.6.0 · ivaniskandar/shouko

Add Assistant Button Override support for Xperia 1 III and 10 III (Thanks to @malibcia, @TheNetAdmin and @andreidobrica for testing) Fix Assistant Button Override not working when Google app is uni...
    github.com

I want to thank each and every person who provided all this information as well as for the technical know-how to make this work!!!

I just wanted to add that when I press the assistant button the app I chose (for now the settings app) opens immediately with no hesitation at all.