[REQ] Calling for support for Dedicated iTouch-like Android build for HD2

Search This thread

arikyeo

Jul 31, 2010
Singapore
Just telling you guys the story first.

I have this spare HD2 lying around after getting the Sensation which also has a severely cracked screen (LCD working, and screen protector on top to prevent injured fingers when using :) ). A thought occurred to me: Why not build Android to function like an iTouch? I.e: Remove anything related to the SIM card/ remove everything that involves making calls, SMS, etc but retain the functionality of Android apps etc(As I will be using DATA SIM). Most importantly, I want it to be fully optimised for those (I believe that the phone/sms functions running in the background would affect the full potential for the HD2 running music, video, and other apps). I do know how to flash ROMS, and customise downloaded ROMS (e.g: Slipstreaming apps I want, remove some apps I don't want, customise build.prop, etc) and also some programming (a bit of obj-C, a bit of C#, and lots of VB.NET). However, I do not know how to build Android from scratch. Hence I would appreciate if:
-I can get devs to assist me in building Android from source code and customise it so it fits my expectations
-I can get support for this project as I plan to release my work to the public when its done

I will give credit to those who helped. Thanks.

Rick_1995

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2009
Santa Clara

I have this spare HD2 lying around after getting the Sensation which also has a severely cracked screen (LCD working, and screen protector on top to prevent injured fingers when using :) ). A thought occurred to me: Why not build Android to function like an iTouch? I.e: Remove anything related to the SIM card/ remove everything that involves making calls, SMS, etc but retain the functionality of Android apps etc(As I will be using DATA SIM). Most importantly, I want it to be fully optimised for those (I believe that the phone/sms functions running in the background would affect the full potential for the HD2 running music, video, and other apps). I do know how to flash ROMS, and customise downloaded ROMS (e.g: Slipstreaming apps I want, remove some apps I don't want, customise build.prop, etc) and also some programming (a bit of obj-C, a bit of C#, and lots of VB.NET). However, I do not know how to build Android from scratch. Hence I would appreciate if:
-I can get devs to assist me in building Android from source code and customise it so it fits my expectations
-I can get support for this project as I plan to release my work to the public when its done

Reserved for future use.

Sir, i seriously doubt your state of mental stability.
And as for your request, the best you can do is use in Airplane mode and switch on wireless. Works for me when i don't want to waste my battery.

Just so that you know, the Qualcomm processors have 2 ARM CPUs on the die, 1 for Radio(Wireless/bluetooth/GSM etc) and 1 for the General purpose/Logic etc... I don't think GSM functions and the phone app running in the background would even mean or translate into anything near a burden or even something which would affect the performace for the CPU in your HD2.

Last edited:
Reactions: stirkac

stirkac

Dec 16, 2008
the Internet
you're pretty much dead-end on this one mate.
android is built ground-up for use in mobile phones. look at those cheap shenzen tablets..they all have no network icon in top bar, and com.android.phone must be running. removing this will only result not working phone as these also include core services-market access etc
only hope you have for doing what you want is to somehow get honeycomb workin' on qsd8250 and tiny fingers to interact with it.

imho best bet would be to just install CM or MIUI, and hide phone etc from launcher.

refer to post above for "very exact explanation" of everything you are trying to do

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Reserved for future use.

Sir, i seriously doubt your state of mental stability.
    And as for your request, the best you can do is use in Airplane mode and switch on wireless. Works for me when i don't want to waste my battery.

Just so that you know, the Qualcomm processors have 2 ARM CPUs on the die, 1 for Radio(Wireless/bluetooth/GSM etc) and 1 for the General purpose/Logic etc... I don't think GSM functions and the phone app running in the background would even mean or translate into anything near a burden or even something which would affect the performace for the CPU in your HD2.