[Req] Gingerbread Keyboard for ICS

Search This thread

EnginEAR

Mar 19, 2008
Tel Aviv
Can somebody please make an APK allowing installing the GB keyboard alongside the ICS one?

With all due respect- the ICS stock keyboard sucks. The GB stock keyboard was awesome!

Please help!!!

EnginEAR

Mar 19, 2008
Tel Aviv
Actually, I extracted the LatinIME.APK from a CyanogenMod 7 file.
Then used Root Explorer to install it.

My fear is, and I have yet to check, that installing a new nightly (which I do whenever a new one become available) will reinstall the ICS keyboard over it.

Although I could go through the process of manually reinstalling the Gingerbread keyboard, I would much rather have a solution which doesn't require that.

Last edited:

EnginEAR

Mar 19, 2008
Tel Aviv
Updates:

Switched from the KANG version to the official nightly.
My workaround seemed to work on the KANG version, but doesn't on the official nightlies.

I agree that the ICS keyboard looks better.

I would very much appreciate it if anyone could create an APK for the ICS keyboard which allows swiping the space bar in order to switch languages.

I don't really know why this feature was dropped. Maybe I just don't know how to set it up. If you do- please educate me.

Thanks!

platinumandroid

Apr 5, 2010
Orange County
You can toggle multiple language support in the keyboard settings,Then just long press the space bar

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1330892787255.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1330892787255.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 165

platinumandroid

Apr 5, 2010
Orange County
Duh...

I don't want to long press the space bar. I want to swipe it.

Well from your original post you did say swipe but you didn't make it clear that you were aware of the long press feature,I was just trying to be helpful & being rude or a smart ass isn't helpful nor does it earn you brownie points!!!

Besides,Swiping & long pressing aren't exactly day & night.It takes maybe a millisecond more to long press than to swipe.

Last edited:

EnginEAR

Mar 19, 2008
Tel Aviv
Well from your original post you did say swipe but you didn't make it clear that you were aware of the long press feature,I was just trying to be helpful & being rude or a smart ass isn't helpful nor does it earn you brownie points!!!

Besides,Swiping & long pressing aren't exactly day & night.It takes maybe a millisecond more to long press than to swipe.

I was neither rude nor a smart ass.
Just to be clear- long pressing the space bar isn't enough. You need to select the language too (yet another redundant press).
I don't know about day and night, but for me the difference is noticeable.

I'm still looking for a better solution than my current one. Would very much appreciate help, wherever and whoever it comes from.

platinumandroid

Apr 5, 2010
Orange County
Just to be clear- long pressing the space bar isn't enough. You need to select the language too (yet another redundant press).

I'm still looking for a better solution than my current one. Would very much appreciate help, wherever and whoever it comes from.

Right on,Maybe I took it the wrong way.Yeah that's true,It's definitely not ideal.What about a ICS themed GB keyboard,That way you will have the functionality you seek while maintaining the ICS look? If that sounds good I could do that for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: EnginEAR

EnginEAR

Mar 19, 2008
Tel Aviv
Right on,Maybe I took it the wrong way.Yeah that's true,It's definitely not idea.What about a ICS themed GB keyboard,That way you will have the functionality you seek while maintaining the ICS look? If that sounds good I could do that for you.

That sounds awesome, but I wouldn't ask that of you.

I'm thinking of requesting the swipe functionality from the guys at work on CM9. I'm pretty sure they can handle it.

Thanks for your help anyway. It is indeed much appreciated.

Simer03

Apr 17, 2010
Oh no....u have to take an extra second to do something! Better go tell Google to stop ics updates...

Sent from my Nexus Prime

EnginEAR

Mar 19, 2008
Tel Aviv
Oh no....u have to take an extra second to do something! Better go tell Google to stop ics updates...

Sent from my Nexus Prime
Last time I checked the guys working on CM9 aren't Google employees.

Although, even if they were, I just wrote I was thinking of requesting it. Requesting. Not demanding. Just requesting.

Thanks anyway!

psak

Oct 13, 2010
swiping the space bar in order to switch between languages.
indeed was very convenient and fast.
is there a possibility to mod ICS keyboard and bring back the feature of swiping space bar/switch between input languages that way.

Thanks in advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Right on,Maybe I took it the wrong way.Yeah that's true,It's definitely not ideal.What about a ICS themed GB keyboard,That way you will have the functionality you seek while maintaining the ICS look? If that sounds good I could do that for you.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone