• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[REQ] Need help. Unbrick phones with locked bootloader, oem unlock disabled

Search This thread

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Thought you guys might find this interesting. I myself have been effected by the bug on my 6p, so I thought I'd share this for you guys here on the 5X community..

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-o...-by-a-particular-hardware-malfunction_id88231

Wait a sec, the 6p has a hardware bootloop issue also?

The LG bootloop issue is either being caused by substandard solder or eMMC chip failure. Given the rate of failure it is more likely solder issue.

BIGSAMDA1ST

Nov 29, 2012
Brooklyn,Ny..
Wait a sec, the 6p has a hardware bootloop issue also?

The LG bootloop issue is either being caused by substandard solder or eMMC chip failure. Given the rate of failure it is more likely solder issue.
Well according to the number of RMA'd 6P's I would have to assume so. I had the same issue a month ago where my phone went into a complete bootloop and nothing that I tried would revive it. As a last resort I ended up contacting Huawei and they wound up sending me a brand new device as I was still under warranty.

plopingo

May 12, 2010
Paris
after reading all this thread no way to get back your phone up :(

I'm stuck with a phone bootloader locked and twrp and I can't do nothing..... I think the correct way is to sent it back to google .....

Nov 26, 2016
I fixed his problem. Something was preventing the phone to boot up even if the modem, boot, recovery and system images were flashed succesfully by using the tot file. I havent found out what caused the boot to stop. So I enabled oem unlocking. Unlocked the bootloader and flashed the stock rom using fastboot and eventually the phone booted up. According to simionpetrus he never disabled oem unlocking once he enabled it, but for him when he locked the bootloader the eom unlocking also get disabled preventing him unlocking bootloder again.

I dont want get into details how I enabled the oem unlocking whit a system not wating to boot up, because I am afraid of thieves will abuse it and which will make google to disable download mode in a future bootloader update like they did for Nexus 5. So you guys wont be abale to use tot files anymore if that happens.

I will update the OP soon sharing the flashtool, drivers, and the tot files for both usa and global 32gb variant of nexus 5x.

I recently used this guide to do this to a Nexus 5x that won't boot up either. Can you help? It's a H790 variant.

RusherDude

Aug 24, 2012
Unfortunately it doesn't work for the time being. Lg introduced a challenge response requirement for laf and this is getting in the way. Maybe some time in the near future smarter guys will figure it out. Right now, I'm back at modifying the tot provided by Bitdomo in order to right that bit at the end of the persistent partition so we can unlock the bootloader.

More info on this?
@bitdomo does this work?

marioemp2k7

Feb 16, 2011
Unfortunately no. I couldn't find a way to manipulate the tot file in the way I wanted. I did however managed to boot the phone. I used an option in z3x lg tool 2g-3g while in download mode (laf) to "Reset security data". After this the phone was reset and booted fine. After 2 months my phone booted up and was able to unlock the bootloader after this (toggle the OEM unlocking option in developer options).

marioemp2k7

Feb 16, 2011
Well, I didn't so I can't share it or provide a download location. All I can say is that the latest version using a loader is 9.1 and can be easily found.

aidenfry89

Dec 9, 2016
how can i revert my phone from "firmware update" mode?
I tried this method but couldn't get it to work due to 0x2000 error on LGUP.
Phone is now stuck in the "firmware update" screen when loading, even blocking access to bootloader mode.

Gave up and phones google for a replacement, I have to now send this one back to them and I would like to get it back to the normal mode rather than booting into this firmware update screen so that there is n problems with them accepting ths device.

Tia

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Glad that worked for you. I thought about putting it in the fridge as well, but I just sent it in for warranty service. Hopefully they give me full refund phonearena.com/news/LG-offering-full-refunds-to-Nexus-5X-owners-affected-by-a-particular-hardware-malfunction_id88231

When you sent it off, was it still in the firmware update mode on screen, I had the same issue and are now sending it off. concerned they will charge me if the device is still in this state because iv been messing about with it. Any way to turn the device off this mode?

aalleexxnn

Sep 10, 2015
Unfortunately no. I couldn't find a way to manipulate the tot file in the way I wanted. I did however managed to boot the phone. I used an option in z3x lg tool 2g-3g while in download mode (laf) to "Reset security data". After this the phone was reset and booted fine. After 2 months my phone booted up and was able to unlock the bootloader after this (toggle the OEM unlocking option in developer options).
i was hoping "Reset security zone" in LG G2-3G Tool reset "NO PPMB" state, but no success

PS and now i notice, IMEI is set to zero!!!

Last edited:

marioemp2k7

Feb 16, 2011
Well that was not my issue. My issue was that I restored a corrupt EFS backup and flashed through LG UP afterwards, thus locking the bootloader. In your case I think the rpmb partition is empty. I don't know if it can be flashed with one from a device that has it in working order. I can try to dump it from my device.

Last edited:

Light_Ben

Dec 12, 2016
Hi everybody,

Hi =)

I saw this topic about unbricking. I have a bricked phone and I wanted to know if this procedure can unbrick it. Also, I'm not sure (I'm not a native English speaker) if you got the solution or not yet. I couldn't follow everything you all said.

Here is my problem:
I got a Nexus 5X 16Gb white.
My phone was on 7.1 and was waiting for 7.1.1 (needed to free some space, but the reminder for the update was waiting for me).
So I'm not sure if it's because of the update or not.
When I started my phone, it got stuck at the logo and then bootloop. Now, it gets stuck on the Google Logo, or the colorful transition, or maximum the desktop but freezes directly.
I could flash a factory image but I'm stuck because I didn't allow OEM before. Now, I can't enter the phone so I can't unlock OEM.

Do you have a solution for that?

Thanks a lot

Domin_PL

Feb 26, 2016
Hi everybody,

Hi =)

I saw this topic about unbricking. I have a bricked phone and I wanted to know if this procedure can unbrick it. Also, I'm not sure (I'm not a native English speaker) if you got the solution or not yet. I couldn't follow everything you all said.

Here is my problem:
I got a Nexus 5X 16Gb white.
My phone was on 7.1 and was waiting for 7.1.1 (needed to free some space, but the reminder for the update was waiting for me).
So I'm not sure if it's because of the update or not.
When I started my phone, it got stuck at the logo and then bootloop. Now, it gets stuck on the Google Logo, or the colorful transition, or maximum the desktop but freezes directly.
I could flash a factory image but I'm stuck because I didn't allow OEM before. Now, I can't enter the phone so I can't unlock OEM.

Do you have a solution for that?

Thanks a lot
Seems like a hardware bootlop, common problem. As you have mentioned you have locked bootloader and if you have still warranty go on RMA

Sent from my Nexus 5X using XDA-Developers mobile app

Domin_PL

Feb 26, 2016
You can flash factory but if it's truly hardware bootlop it will nothing help.
I had touched bootlop when I had my bootloader unlocked and I flashed thrive factory and after last flash phone turned on but was very lagging and after reboot neither turned on.

So, you can try by flashing *tot file (1st post), try adb sideload (oh, check if your recovery is working, if no then you will be ensure that's hardware bootlop)
And third, if you are able, warranty

Fourth is about dissemblessing device and putting it into cooler, heard that works for a while

Light_Ben

Dec 12, 2016
You can flash factory but if it's truly hardware bootlop it will nothing help.
I had touched bootlop when I had my bootloader unlocked and I flashed thrive factory and after last flash phone turned on but was very lagging and after reboot neither turned on.

So, you can try by flashing *tot file (1st post), try adb sideload (oh, check if your recovery is working, if no then you will be ensure that's hardware bootlop)
And third, if you are able, warranty

Fourth is about dissemblessing device and putting it into cooler, heard that works for a while

Thanks for your answer.
1st, my warranty is over...
2nd, I have access to recovery and download modes without problem.
3rd, seeing my 1st and 2nd, do you think I should try the procedure described in the first post? Anyway, my phone is not usable right now, so if I succeed good, if it fails, it means it's hardware, am I right?

Last question, the first post is complete? The author finished to write anything people need from A to Z? My phone is Nexus 5X 16Gb

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have made some success with the help of @gee one providing me the necessary files needed for making tot file for both H790 and H791 32GB varaint Nexus 5X.
    It was tested on @JaCh0o's bricked H791 32GB Nexus 5X
    I am still waiting for somebody with a 16GB Nexus 5X to make me a dump of the Primary GPT (first 512 kb of the emmc) and the Backup GPT (last 512 kb of the emmc) to make tot file for the 16GB Nexus 5X too.
    If sombody is in this situation please follow the guide.

• Download TOT file for your device
    • Download LG usb drivers
    • Download LGUP tool
    • Download 8994 dll for LGUP
    • Install LG usb drivers
    • Install LGUP tool
    • Install 8994 dll for LGUP
    • Turn off your phone
    • Press and hold the volume_up key while you connect the phone to the PC with usb cable.
    • Wait for Windows to install the new drivers
    • Start LGUP
    1148370271_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

• Either select refurbish (will wipe userdata) or upgrade (wont wipe userdata)
    5761782792_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

• Click on the line where it says BIN file to make the button with "..." appear and click on it then select the tot file.

1709748164_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

• Click on start
    This here is not important
    I have a solution in my head for those who have locked their bootloader and disabled oem unlocking with a modified system and now they are stucked in bricked condition with their phones
    To make this idea to a real solution I need some help from you guys as I dont have nexus 5x. My idea is enter to LG's download and flash a tot file for nexus 5x using lg flashtool. Since there are no leaked tot files for nexus 5x yet, so I will do one. I have dll file which will probably work for nexus 5x (90%).

First of all before I jump in head first to making a tot file, please let me know are you able to boot your nexus 5x to LG's download.
    According to my sources to enter download mode you have to turn off your phone then plug the usb cable to the phone wile you keep pressing the volume_up key. If this key combination gets you into LG's download then it is great. To exit from LG's download just keep pressing the power key and the phone will shutdown. If it does not work then it is still possible to enter download mode but with using LG's 910kOhm usb cable.

The next things I need are dump files of Primary_GPT (first 512 kb of the emmc), misc partition (to see LG's version numbering for nexus 5X, it is important for tot files), laf partition and Backup_GPT (last 512 kb of the emmc). For GPTs I will need both the 32 gb and the 16 gb variants of the phone.
    If it's form official LG distribution, you should have global warranty.
    In my case, phone rebooted ONLY once, near to end (approx 80%), did you installed drivers before? Can you change cable? Please redownload files before flashing. After flash wait 5-10 minutes on colorful bubbles screen. Under bootloader what parameters does it shows?

Wysłane z mojego Oppo Find 7 przy użyciu Taptalka

I fixed his problem. Something was preventing the phone to boot up even if the modem, boot, recovery and system images were flashed succesfully by using the tot file. I havent found out what caused the boot to stop. So I enabled oem unlocking. Unlocked the bootloader and flashed the stock rom using fastboot and eventually the phone booted up. According to simionpetrus he never disabled oem unlocking once he enabled it, but for him when he locked the bootloader the eom unlocking also get disabled preventing him unlocking bootloder again.

I dont want get into details how I enabled the oem unlocking whit a system not wating to boot up, because I am afraid of thieves will abuse it and which will make google to disable download mode in a future bootloader update like they did for Nexus 5. So you guys wont be abale to use tot files anymore if that happens.

I will update the OP soon sharing the flashtool, drivers, and the tot files for both usa and global 32gb variant of nexus 5x.
    16gb lgh791, lgh790 tot

Hello all,

I have finally acquired the 16GB variant of LGH791 and LGH790 TOT flashing files. Use 7-Zip to uncompress the archive(s):

Description:
    16GB LGH791AT Nexus 5X
    16GB LGH790AT Nexus 5X

DOWNLOAD:
    LGH791AT, LGH790AT TOT flashing files

Note:
    32GB LGH790AT Nexus 5X TOT is also included in the download link.

Conclusion:

• If you have a LOCKED bootloader, then you need to flash LGH791AT TOT (I can confirm that this WORKS).

• If your bootloader is UNLOCKED, then you may have some luck flashing LGH790AT TOT.
    Post your results and let us know if you had any success with the above files.
    Boots into download mode. Shows up in Device Manager as USB serial on COM3.

attachment.php

So the key combination have worked?
    Do you see something like this on your screen?
    Download-Mode-LG-G21.jpg
    SOLVED FOR ME:

I am one of the #@%$^! who managed to lock their bootloader on a fully setup encrypted daily driver.

I had TWRP recovery on it but couldn't do anything because of the encryption.

Using the LG UP tool and flashing the TOT file did not make my phone bootup again (stuck at GOOGLE-logo) BUT it did get me a fully working stock recovery back!

In the stock recovery I could sideload a full-OTA 7.1.1 NMF26F zip downloaded from Google, which overwrites all partitions 'unconditionally' and voila! Phone returned to fully stock and booting!

Then you can enter developer options and set "allow OEM unlocking", reboot, oem-unlock the bootloader again and you're all set!