[REQUEST] B&N Nook Simple Touch forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
Would like to request a forum for the Barnes & Nobles Nook Simple Touch. It runs Android 2.1, and has been rooted. It is the first e-Ink reader with a full-fledged OS, and is eminently hackable. Its SoC is the same as the Nook Color, and CM7 will likely be ported to it. It has a 2-month battery life and daylight-readable screen, at a low cost of $139. It is shipping now.

http://barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp

Rooting instructions: http://nookdevs.com/NookTouch_Rooting

Reviews: http://barnesandnoble.com/nook/reviews/index.asp

Last edited:

CoolBone

Jun 12, 2010
Agreed! Already rooted my Touch, but there seem to be no forums dedicated to this thing. This will be the ultimate e-reader when you can put Kindle/Kobo etc. on it!

Reactions: e.mote
B

bmn65

+1

+1. The device is already rooted,and the forum link above is holding discussions on getting a launcher on there. Roms are soon to follow.

harlik

Mar 12, 2011
+1
Right now I'm thinking on how to get this nook. It should be very interesting - kind of e-ink tablet :)

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
Heh, we're skeptical about adding this. The Nook Color was easy because it's a full color Android tablet, and once rooted, it's a pretty great device. But the new monochrome Nook, even once rooted, can really play back videos, browse the web very well, etc.

But...if there's enough interest, we might have to oblige. :cool:

Feb 19, 2011
Heh, we're skeptical about adding this. The Nook Color was easy because it's a full color Android tablet, and once rooted, it's a pretty great device. But the new monochrome Nook, even once rooted, can really play back videos, browse the web very well, etc.

It would be great if we could convince you to overcome your skepticism. I have a rooted Nook Color and just got the Simple Touch for my mother. It's a great little ereader, but my idea in getting it for her was to root it and set her up with some basic Android goodies like email, calendar, Facebook, other ereader apps like Kindle and Aldiko. Videos clearly out, but that's fine for this kind of device.

Please chalk me up as interested! :)

Michael.Rose

Mar 21, 2006
Huntington, NY
Another vote for a specific Nook Simple Touch forum!

It has been rooted, it is similar under the hood to the Nook Color, and it runs Android. Just because it has an e-ink screen and can't do full motion video doesn't mean the machine isn't capable of being utilized for more than what was intended. The sooner we get a dedicated forum the better. If there isn't one, we are going to end up with a flood of posts in the Nook Color forums where they don't belong.

stelph

Sep 14, 2006
It would be great if we could convince you to overcome your skepticism. I have a rooted Nook Color and just got the Simple Touch for my mother. It's a great little ereader, but my idea in getting it for her was to root it and set her up with some basic Android goodies like email, calendar, Facebook, other ereader apps like Kindle and Aldiko. Videos clearly out, but that's fine for this kind of device.

Please chalk me up as interested! :)

I agree, I don't think anyone is expecting the touch to ever be able to work like a "standard" tablet with angry birds (despite the demo, lol) or video playback. What would be excellent however would be development of a ROM or guides to aide loading that allowed additional apps that increase the usefulness of the nook touch, for example:

Additional ebook readers/distribution services like the kindle app (the lack of access to the kindle bookshop is the main criticism highlighted in reviews)

Word processing/editing applications on the go

Web browsing/social networking like Facebook

Simple gaming, for example chess or draughts or turn based strategy games like uniwar.

Essentially giving you an ereader that can also do a few extra functions when you are out and about

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011

Svetius,

I agree, the Nook Touch has its limitations as compared against conventional tablets. But that is what makes it interesting. As said, it's the only e-Ink product that has full-fledged Android and can be hacked to run regular Android apps. It's not a conventional tablet. It has its drawbacks, but it also has its unique strengths. It's very cheap, very light and compact, its battery lasts forever, and it can be used anywhere, indoors or out.

I've always thought of XDA as a place where we can talk about interesting tech toys, not just toys that are popular, or toys that have to be the same as other toys. Rather than adding yet another me-too Tegra 2 tablet, why not have something different and interesting for a change?

HP

Reactions: WakeArray and rev0l

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
I think that what we're looking at here is not simply an e-ink tablet (write mail, surf,etc), but the "One Ring" of e-ink readers. One e-ink device for all formats. Add my request for a NST forum please.

trovatrice

Jan 11, 2010
Picked one up at the bricks&mortar store tonight... It definitely has potential!!

Haven't had a chance to root it yet, but managed to load all of the Adobe Digital Editions books that I had collected on my 1st gen s-l-o-w kobo... (from several different bookstores) The browser needs work (I could see my gmail messages, but attempting to reply shut down the browser) There is no zoom or rotation for pdfs yet, and some obvious file formats (.jpg, .png ??) don't seem to be recognized consistently... but the screen isn't bad and it's relatively snappy. It's light, and really small... wifi works flawlessly, kb is pretty good.

Would love to see what can be done with it.

Last edited:

rev0l

Sep 3, 2008
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
iam interested too!!
eink tablet would be awesome :D

thinking of text based services/apps like ssh, icq, irc, twitter, email, electrodroid, wikipedia...

I've always thought of XDA as a place where we can talk about interesting tech toys, not just toys that are popular, or toys that have to be the same as other toys. Rather than adding yet another me-too Tegra 2 tablet, why not have something different and interesting for a change?
My thoughts exactly!

Last edited:

3lj

May 23, 2006
Edinburgh/London
another one requesting this forum !

At the moment little bits of information are being scattered here and there, would be great to have them all in one place!

eagle132

Feb 22, 2010
Another vote for a Nook Simple Touch forum!

I picked mine up yesterday and it's a fun little device. I'll be rooting it soon, and this thing definitely has lots of potential with a good community of developers!

For instance, how to unlock that gig of storage space that's reserved for bought B&N books... hehe

Michael.Rose

Mar 21, 2006
Huntington, NY

Come on! Get moving on a forum for the Nook Touch!

I just got ADW and K9 e-mail running on this thing! Reading e-mail is beautiful on this thing!!! We need a proper Android distribution that gets around the menu and launcher navigation issues.

Jyveafk

Jan 2, 2009
Maybe rename the Nook Color main section to be 'Nook devices' and drop this underneath as a sub-forum?

But aye, looks hackable, is a /really/ neat device. Deserves one forum hopefully, not sure (for now) needs the usual 'general/qa/dev/accesories' splitting.

stelph

Sep 14, 2006
So from the various threads that are around in the Nook Color thread, so far people have managed to

- root the nook touch,
- access superuser permissions,
- Work out there is 728mb usable ram and 228mb program memory,
- Install and run ADWLauncher and LauncherPro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4dMZvff9qg- Install and run FBReader
- Install and run the Kindle app http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4MJungKIxY
- Suggest that the CPU is the same as the Nook Color?!?
- Suggest that the Nook Touch has Bluetooth but it is disabled
- Suggest that devs will start work on a CM7 port

Some excellent developments already and an exciting future for the device, please may we have a forum/sub-forum now? Pretty please with sugar and cherries ontop? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Would like to request a forum for the Barnes & Nobles Nook Simple Touch. It runs Android 2.1, and has been rooted. It is the first e-Ink reader with a full-fledged OS, and is eminently hackable. Its SoC is the same as the Nook Color, and CM7 will likely be ported to it. It has a 2-month battery life and daylight-readable screen, at a low cost of $139. It is shipping now.

http://barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp

Rooting instructions: http://nookdevs.com/NookTouch_Rooting

Reviews: http://barnesandnoble.com/nook/reviews/index.asp
    Ridiculousness of the lack of a Nook2 sub-forum...

It is a bit ridiculous that we still don't have a sub-forum for the Nook2. It is bothersome to the Nook Color owners whose forums are being overrun and it is also hampering the development on the Nook2. We are all aware at this point of the merits of the device, it runs Android 2.1, it is extremely hack-able, while it can't do animation or video it can do things other Android devices can't. For those of us that are using the device it has unique benefits over other Android devices because of the readability of the screen and lengthy battery life. I use the Nook2 far more than any of my other Android devices specifically because of this. We really want to focus on development for this device because of its unique attributes. Applications need to be optimized (or at least some consideration) to make the best use of the eInk screen. Right now, this draconian lock against creating a separate subforum is stifling development for the Nook2 AND Nook Color. I hate to say this, but if the XDA administrators will not create a sub-forum ASAP, does anyone have any suggestions for another place to host Nook2 development forum? It is a real shame because it has a lot in common with the Nook Color and it can benefit from collaboration from existing Nook Color development, but right now this forum structure is just hampering the development for BOTH devices.
    So from the various threads that are around in the Nook Color thread, so far people have managed to

- root the nook touch,
    - access superuser permissions,
    - Work out there is 728mb usable ram and 228mb program memory,
    - Install and run ADWLauncher and LauncherPro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4dMZvff9qg- Install and run FBReader
    - Install and run the Kindle app http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4MJungKIxY
    - Suggest that the CPU is the same as the Nook Color?!?
    - Suggest that the Nook Touch has Bluetooth but it is disabled
    - Suggest that devs will start work on a CM7 port

Some excellent developments already and an exciting future for the device, please may we have a forum/sub-forum now? Pretty please with sugar and cherries ontop? :)
    I second that request.

Nook Simple Touch, once rooted, is the first eink Reader that doesn't bound hardware and manufacturer's software together. It has great potential to be the ultimate reading device.
    I second this request.