Request for development of other operating systems

What operating systems do you want to see ported?

• Ubuntu Touch

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Tizen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sailfish OS

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • LuneOS

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • KDE Plasma 5 Mobile (based on Ubuntu Touch)

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

win8linux

Oct 30, 2014
General Santos City
This is a request thread for developers to port non-Android operating systems to the Nexus 6P.

Hello there, Nexus 6P users and developers!
Here in this thread, I will put forward the rationale for developers to port mobile operating systems that don't have a robot as a logo to our device.

The Nexus 6P is a device with an incredibly active developer and user base, akin to those of prior Nexus devices. Being a Nexus device, it has relatively good support from Google,the source code necessary binaries can be found on Google's official repositories and developer websites; the custom ROM development scene is very much alive and vibrant as a result. The only thing lacking are the ports of other platforms. We have the install base to test ports (probably), we have CM/LineageOS support (useful reference base) and we very likely have devs who can do it (you know who you are).

As for the users, please comment down below for what operating systems you would like to see on your Nexus 6P so that we can grab the attention of those heroes rattling away at their keyboards! Developers can reply to a request directly or PM me if you want to talk. It would be nice if the coders would respond.

Additional stuff:

Thanks towards developers for making users happy with ROMs, kernels, etc. The community is grateful for your support! :good:

EDIT: I mistakenly indicated on the poll that KDE Plasma Mobile was based on Ubuntu Touch. Apparently, this is no longer the case. My sincerest apologies.

Last edited:

rohit25

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi
Google Pixel 2 XL
Would like to see Ubuntu touch being ported to it.. but it seems like even Canonical has also abandoned it... So don't see anything else coming to life except Android and iOS...

win8linux

Oct 30, 2014
General Santos City
Ubuntu Touch Canonical support

Would like to see Ubuntu touch being ported to it.. but it seems like even Canonical has also abandoned it... So don't see anything else coming to life except Android and iOS...

It seems that they're holding off until the new Snap-based system is fully in place. Until then, it'll probably stay in maintenance mode.
Maybe go see Plasma Mobile? :D

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
Y tho

Attachments

• yNlQWRM.jpg
    yNlQWRM.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 208

win8linux

Oct 30, 2014
General Santos City
Plasma Mobile and Ubuntu Touch

Plasma! Plasma! Plasma! Although for Plasma we also need Ubuntu Touch! Ubuntu Touch! Ubuntu Touch!

The other ones are cute too... :)

Plasma Mobile is no longer based on Ubuntu Touch proper. It uses a customized Ubuntu container, but it's not the one from UT. It's (as if time of posting) using an AOSP/LineageOS core as a base. However, it doesn't use ART or Dalvik; this is what makes it a non-Android system.

I actually mistakenly believed this outdated information for a while (see original post) until I did more research into it.

From a technical standpoint, this means that a Plasma Mobile port doesn't need a pre-existing Ubuntu Touch port to be brought over to our device. However, its development could help Ubuntu Touch and other OSes (e.g. Sailfish OS, LuneOS, etc.) come afterwards :D .

Last edited:
Reactions: phoenix560

win8linux

Oct 30, 2014
General Santos City
On the (probable) end of Ubuntu Touch

Despite various users and developers planning on continuing UT to some extent, for now it seems that Ubuntu Touch is essentially dead.

What would you want in place of Ubuntu Touch?

Update: Ubuntu Touch lives on in the form of UBports, a community fork of Ubuntu Touch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exodusche

win8linux

Oct 30, 2014
General Santos City
Spurring other OS development

To help kickstart bringing other OSes to the Nexus 6P, I've made an initial port of Halium for future ports of non-Android Linux distributions to build upon.

Ignore this; this is an accidental double post.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a request thread for developers to port non-Android operating systems to the Nexus 6P.

Hello there, Nexus 6P users and developers!
    Here in this thread, I will put forward the rationale for developers to port mobile operating systems that don't have a robot as a logo to our device.

The Nexus 6P is a device with an incredibly active developer and user base, akin to those of prior Nexus devices. Being a Nexus device, it has relatively good support from Google,the source code necessary binaries can be found on Google's official repositories and developer websites; the custom ROM development scene is very much alive and vibrant as a result. The only thing lacking are the ports of other platforms. We have the install base to test ports (probably), we have CM/LineageOS support (useful reference base) and we very likely have devs who can do it (you know who you are).

As for the users, please comment down below for what operating systems you would like to see on your Nexus 6P so that we can grab the attention of those heroes rattling away at their keyboards! Developers can reply to a request directly or PM me if you want to talk. It would be nice if the coders would respond.

Additional stuff:

Thanks towards developers for making users happy with ROMs, kernels, etc. The community is grateful for your support! :good:

EDIT: I mistakenly indicated on the poll that KDE Plasma Mobile was based on Ubuntu Touch. Apparently, this is no longer the case. My sincerest apologies.
    Contacting porters

Has anyone been able to contact a porter? I'm just posting to check.

I'm currently in contact with someone who can attempt to port Plasma Mobile to the Nexus 6P.
    Plasma! Plasma! Plasma! Although for Plasma we also need Ubuntu Touch! Ubuntu Touch! Ubuntu Touch!

Plasma Mobile and Ubuntu Touch

Plasma Mobile is no longer based on Ubuntu Touch proper. It uses a customized Ubuntu container, but it's not the one from UT. It's (as if time of posting) using an AOSP/LineageOS core as a base. However, it doesn't use ART or Dalvik; this is what makes it a non-Android system.

I actually mistakenly believed this outdated information for a while (see original post) until I did more research into it.

From a technical standpoint, this means that a Plasma Mobile port doesn't need a pre-existing Ubuntu Touch port to be brought over to our device. However, its development could help Ubuntu Touch and other OSes (e.g. Sailfish OS, LuneOS, etc.) come afterwards :D .
    On the (probable) end of Ubuntu Touch

Despite various users and developers planning on continuing UT to some extent, for now it seems that Ubuntu Touch is essentially dead.

What would you want in place of Ubuntu Touch?

Update: Ubuntu Touch lives on in the form of UBports, a community fork of Ubuntu Touch.