Request for Samsung Nougat ROM port for P905

Search This thread

chudu1

Feb 17, 2017
Request one of our many gracious and wonderful developers to port a Samsung Nougat ROM for our beloved P905. I understand that porting a One UI based ROM would be very tough because of the deep changes. I hope porting a Nougat ROM from one of the many Samsung Nougat tablets would be a tad more do-able.

I once again acknowledge that our developers have their own lives to lead and priorities in life and are doing us a favor by spending their valuable time to develop ports and Lineage OS based latest android builds for our aging dinosaur.

A Samsung Nougat based ROM would be wonderful for the P905.

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
Request one of our many gracious and wonderful developers to port a Samsung Nougat ROM for our beloved P905. I understand that porting a One UI based ROM would be very tough because of the deep changes. I hope porting a Nougat ROM from one of the many Samsung Nougat tablets would be a tad more do-able.

I once again acknowledge that our developers have their own lives to lead and priorities in life and are doing us a favor by spending their valuable time to develop ports and Lineage OS based latest android builds for our aging dinosaur.

A Samsung Nougat based ROM would be wonderful for the P905.

Hi Chudu.

What are the Samsung specific features that you're looking for when it comes to One UI or Touchwiz?

chudu1

Feb 17, 2017
Hi shardsx,

By Samsung specific features, I mean mainly the Samsung Touchwiz/Grace UI and the myriad of settings and customization features unique to Samsung firmware.

And as a possible bonus, if the ported ROM is from another S-pen supported tablet/phone, then the included S-pen features would be the icing on the cake.

Developers like Valeria1978 have developed Lineage0S for this aging tablet based on Android 10 and it feels so much lighter on the resources. But inevitably, I find myself going back to the Note 7 ported ROM because I miss the stock Samsung firmware look and features.

Reactions: kalimah

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
Hi shardsx,

By Samsung specific features, I mean mainly the Samsung Touchwiz/Grace UI and the myriad of settings and customization features unique to Samsung firmware.

And as a possible bonus, if the ported ROM is from another S-pen supported tablet/phone, then the included S-pen features would be the icing on the cake.

Developers like Valeria1978 have developed Lineage0S for this aging tablet based on Android 10 and it feels so much lighter on the resources. But inevitably, I find myself going back to the Note 7 ported ROM because I miss the stock Samsung firmware look and features.

Unfortunately it appears that the best path forward is to go with the Lineage OS builds from Valera1978. There hasn't been any other developers taking up the mantle with the P905, so we're only here at Android 10 by the good graces of Valera and his work. This is why I was curious to see if there was something specific to Touchwiz ROMs that appeal to you which could be mimicked in software but allow you to continue using the latest Lineage builds. For example, there's online praise of SPenCommand which is a 3rd party app (outside of Google Play) that recreates TouchWiz's S-Pen functionality for Lineage and AOSP ROMs, (note that I haven't personally purchased or used this software). LectureNotes, which I do use, is a very good note-taking alternative to S-Notes.

Since knowledge emerged on how to fix the S-Pen palm rejection that has been broken since Lineage 15.1, Lineage 17.1 has been my daily driver and working pretty well. I would have liked to stick to Lineage 16.1 as I find it more stable and polished than 17.1 but I cannot get a successful compile of Valera's 16.1 ROM to boot on my tablet.

If anyone can figure that out, I can probably provide a Lineage 16.1 build that:
- enables S-Pen palm rejection
- enables Bluetooth pairing of PS4 DualShock4 controller without the associated nasty input lag

chudu1

Feb 17, 2017
I fully agree with you. I have not tried the Spencommand software, but now that you have mentioned it, I will try to find it and use it.

Apart from the comparative lack of customizability, there are 3 reasons which I find irksome about the 17.1 build.

First is the rotation bug. After a while, the tablet simply gets stuck in portrait mode and only a reboot gets the landscape mode working again.

Secondly, I need to swipe at least 3 or 4 times in order to pull down the quick settings and notification shade and it is extremely slow while it opens out.

Thirdly, I use my P905 a lot for making calls and in spite of trying everything, I'm unable to hear the voice of the person on the other line when on voice calls. I'm forced to use a Bluetooth speaker which is not always convenient.

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
I fully agree with you. I have not tried the Spencommand software, but now that you have mentioned it, I will try to find it and use it.

Apart from the comparative lack of customizability, there are 3 reasons which I find irksome about the 17.1 build.

First is the rotation bug. After a while, the tablet simply gets stuck in portrait mode and only a reboot gets the landscape mode working again.

Secondly, I need to swipe at least 3 or 4 times in order to pull down the quick settings and notification shade and it is extremely slow while it opens out.

Thirdly, I use my P905 a lot for making calls and in spite of trying everything, I'm unable to hear the voice of the person on the other line when on voice calls. I'm forced to use a Bluetooth speaker which is not always convenient.

The telephony aspect of this tablet is something that I am unable to provide any alternatives. My carrier appears to be incompatible with my tablet so I never looked into this at all.

In terms of the rotation bug, I use an app called Ultimate Rotation Control and manually rotate using its Notification widget. This bug exists with all versions of Lineage OS and this was the only workaround I've found which consistently works.

For the notification shade, this is one area that I think Lineage 16.1 offers a smoother experience. I found that certain apps like Youtube, TunedIn Radio, or any apps that utilizes a background image for its notification card will cause the notification shade to lag. Once an affecting app generates a notification card that causes the stuttering behavior, there's no way to recover other than to reboot. Even if the affecting app is closed, the notification shade continues to be slow and stuttery. The only workaround I've found is to disable all notifications for the affecting apps and then reboot.

In terms of quickly pulling down the notification shade with everything expanded in one go, there is an option in Lineage OS in the Settings app, under System > Status Bar -> Quick Pulldown. Enabling this option will allow a single swipe from the status bar to display a fully expanded notification shade with all the toggles and cards expanded.

I know the biggest problem for you is the telephony and call volume. Unfortunately nothing I have said is going to help with that. I hope perhaps Valera or a new developer may be able to help you. At least I hope my words would help anyone else with similar problems who happens to stumble upon this post.

Lastly, I'd like to share that to get the experience of a fullsize keyboard similar to Touchwiz, Hacker's Keyboard is probably as close as you can get with so little developers producing keyboards that are appropriate for tablets of this size.

chudu1

Feb 17, 2017
Thank you so much for all this information. I will definitely try out the spencommand apk and hacker's keyboard.

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
Thank you so much for all this information. I will definitely try out the spencommand apk and hacker's keyboard.

Hi Chudu,

I'm afraid to report bad news. I tried SPenCommand downloaded from the developer's page but it doesn't seem to launch on my device using Lineage OS 17.1. If you are going to try and switch ROMs to try this software, please be aware of this potential snag.

chudu1

Feb 17, 2017
Hi shardsx,

Can you provide me a link to the download page? I'll try it out on my weekly off and see if I'm able to launch it.

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
Hi shardsx,

Can you provide me a link to the download page? I'll try it out on my weekly off and see if I'm able to launch it.

The developer of this app is called @emandt. He had a thread about this app here at XDA.

His website is http://www.emandt.net/Android/SPenCommand/Website/. On this page you can find the download links. This is a paid app hosted outside the Google Store and relies on an in-app purchase to unlock. As I mentioned, this app seems to instantaneously close on me so it seems to do nothing. The author seems to have last updated this app to support Android Oreo or Lineage 15.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi shardsx,