[Request help] Making flashable zip to add carrier mbn files

Search This thread

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
I have a Pixel 5.
The stock rom does not have South Korean carrier mbn files.
I managed to source the files from the Internet.

I tried to copy paste it into
/system/vendor/rfs/msm/mpss/readonly/vendor/mbn/mcfg_sw/generic/Pixel
but it doesn't work (I can't change folder properties to write).

I tried using the volte_switch.zip from this guide
and modified the files to add the mbn files of my choice but flashing the zip deletes all folders under generic/Pixel/ except my country's folder.
Removing the "module" from magisk manager and rebooting brings everything back.

Is it possible to make a flashable zip to add the mbn files?
Or does it require repacking the radio.img?
Or does the volte_switch.zip install the mbn files systemlessly?

Attachments

• Korean Carriers mbn.zip
    18.1 KB · Views: 23
  • VoLTEswitch_edit.zip
    246.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
If you post your Magisk module it might be easier to say why it doesn't work.

But if the Pixel directory is emptied out it sounds like you have a replace file in there causing issues. Just guessing though...

Thanks for the suggestion. I've uploaded the flash zip file as well. When I went through the install script, I did notice the "replace" code in there. How should I change it to?

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
Ok after much googling, I figured out.
I added in all my original mbn folders as well and then typed in:

REPLACE="
/system/vendor/rfs/msm/mpss/readonly/vendor/mbn/mcfg_sw/
"

into customize.sh

This Replaced the folder with all the original and new mbn files.

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
Ok, I thought it worked but it's not actually working.

The new mbn files seems to be there but when I force a mbn reload by changing sim cards, it still loads the "original" files as if the new files aren't actually there.

For countries/carriers that's not listed in google's official supported list, the phone uses a 'generic' carrier mbn which is located in the generic/pixel/common/wildcard/pixel_wildcard/mcfg_sw.mbn.
This wildcard mbn is the generic carrier file that has 5G disabled by default. So in theory, all I need to do is replace the wildcard mbn with a different carrier's mbn which has 5G enabled by default. Then create magisk module and flash it to have it replaced.
My module appears to replace the files but the new files don't actually get loaded. When I change sim cards to force a reloading of mbn file, It still loads the old files.

What can I do to fix this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attached is my module.

Attachments

• Pixel-Ultimate-Carrier-Patch.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Reactions: fobtob387

Didgeridoohan

Retired Senior Moderator
May 31, 2012
Gone
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
Calling @Didgeridoohan good sir, if you could kindly provide me with knowledge about the post above, if possible. Thanks.

Busy life...

In theory you shouldn't at all need to do that replace function and add back all the stock files with the module. Magisk should take care of mounting or replacing only the files you need, so anything else is just redundant... But if it works, sure.

But it seems like it doesn't.

If you can verify with a file explorer that the files have been replaced with the ones from your module and the values still are taken from the original files that very likely means that there's more to it than just replacing those files.

You could provide the module install log and the Magisk log (Canary release so that it's actually useful) to see if there's anything wrong there.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, I thought it worked but it's not actually working.

The new mbn files seems to be there but when I force a mbn reload by changing sim cards, it still loads the "original" files as if the new files aren't actually there.

For countries/carriers that's not listed in google's official supported list, the phone uses a 'generic' carrier mbn which is located in the generic/pixel/common/wildcard/pixel_wildcard/mcfg_sw.mbn.
    This wildcard mbn is the generic carrier file that has 5G disabled by default. So in theory, all I need to do is replace the wildcard mbn with a different carrier's mbn which has 5G enabled by default. Then create magisk module and flash it to have it replaced.
    My module appears to replace the files but the new files don't actually get loaded. When I change sim cards to force a reloading of mbn file, It still loads the old files.

What can I do to fix this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attached is my module.