[Request]List for the set of supported devices which will be recieving Android 'L'

Search This thread

Gokulbalram

Apr 22, 2013
Pune
As the title says, it'd be great if there was an updated list with the supported device which will be recieving 'L' from Omni.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
As the title says, it'd be great if there was an updated list with the supported device which will be recieving 'L' from Omni.

There won't be, since L is not out and we have no idea what changes it is going to entail from a device support perspective.

As far as devices that are likely to receive "focus" from the team - Oppos and the Sony Xperia Z family. (Probably Z1/ZU also) - Because of how well Oppo and Sony have treated the open source community, in general, team members are more motivated to grab "older" devices they don't use any more in order to work on them.

However here's a list of devices that are likely to be dropped:

All Exynos 4210 devices (i777/n7000/i9100) - No active maintainers remain for these devices, they've been on minimal life support for two years now since Exynos-gate and the Superbrick fiasco of 2012.
I9300 - No active maintainer

Unknowns:
N80xx - Of 3 maintainers, the only one who remains is Humberto and he's kinda spread thin. So highly likely to get removed.
maguro - This didn't have an active maintainer for ages, but I think one did step up. I need to talk with the team.

Honestly, I'd love to just kill Exynos4 with fire with L and be done with that goddamned hell platform once and for all... But that is only my personal opinion.

Last edited:

iKillCypher

Jul 28, 2012
There won't be, since L is not out and we have no idea what changes it is going to entail from a device support perspective.

As far as devices that are likely to receive "focus" from the team - Oppos and the Sony Xperia Z family. (Probably Z1/ZU also) - Because of how well Oppo and Sony have treated the open source community, in general, team members are more motivated to grab "older" devices they don't use any more in order to work on them.

All Exynos 4210 devices (i777/n7000/i9100) - No active maintainers remain for these devices, they've been on minimal life support for two years now since Exynos-gate and the Superbrick fiasco of 2012.

Unknowns:
N80xx - Of 3 maintainers, the only one who remains is Humberto and he's kinda spread thin. So highly likely to get removed.
maguro - This didn't have an active maintainer for ages, but I think one did step up. I need to talk with the team.

Honestly, I'd love to just kill Exynos4 with fire with L and be done with that goddamned hell platform once and for all... But that is only my personal opinion.

I have still yet use oppo device but from what I have seen so far it is a pretty much quite a kickass device as for sony I main yuga from time to time as this is the only device I got and we all know what happened back in the days of exynos4

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Oh wow, even MediaTek is getting better. Meanwhile, this Bull****.

So @Entropy512, I read all the 100 posts, and I finally understand you.

As bad as Exynos is... MTK manages to actually be significantly worse. :(

Even if you have complete access to all of the source they give to an OEM (let's just say I've seen a complete leak for one MT6589 device), it's still a blob-ridden disorganized mess.

Gokulbalram

Apr 22, 2013
Pune

Even if you have complete access to all of the source they give to an OEM (let's just say I've seen a complete leak for one MT6589 device), it's still a blob-ridden disorganized mess.

There's only one source for a MediaTek chipset, the one in Android One. At least MediaTek is getting better, they're taking steps.

aidfarh

Sep 17, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi OmniROM devs,

While waiting for Lollipop to arrive, can you please get around to updating the yuga kernel and blobs? There's no point of Sony going to the trouble of publishing the up-to-date kernel sources if the roms are not going to take advantage of it.

ahmedelhofy

Apr 12, 2012
Shebin El-Koum

Unknowns:

S2/S3/Note take a huge percentage in the download counts of any custom ROMs

it's a bad platform... But there is still lots of users using them regularly... Hopefully you guys can give us some L builds... I won't be that sad if you stopped since I know how hard it's to still even offer us some builds for KitKat...

Thanks..

Gokulbalram

Apr 22, 2013
Pune

it's a bad platform... But there is still lots of users using them regularly... Hopefully you guys can give us some L builds... I won't be that sad if you stopped since I know how hard it's to still even offer us some builds for KitKat...

Thanks..

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AndrewDodd/posts/cdPnNjLAb4F

Even I own an S3, but after reading this, I really wouldnt be pissed to see it being dropped

Reactions: Zurukubeng

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
The key message here is that the core team can't maintain every device!

As much as we hate to remove devices, there will be a significant number removed, if there's no active maintainer for it. No device will be enabled for L nightlies (and thus official support) if there's nobody active and competent who is maintaining it.

If you've always wanted to get involved, now really is the time - L is upon us, and good things are happening :)

Going forward, if there is sufficient interest from the community (i.e. go out there and talk to devs and contributors from other projects please!), we are more than happy to facilitate making the 4.4 branch of Omni an ongoing project.

For this to work though, it would require enough developers to come together on legacy devices to make it viable. With new major Android versions, a lot of custom ROMs simply don't continue support for devices "left behind", but we're willing to try this out as an experiment. If there are sufficient (experienced) developers, we'll have 4.4 as an active project which will accept features and patches as normal.

For this to work though, it does require everyone to play their part - we'll need reliable people to review and approve changes etc, as well as active maintainers for devices.

Olivier

Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 6, 2011
Hi OmniROM devs,

While waiting for Lollipop to arrive, can you please get around to updating the yuga kernel and blobs? There's no point of Sony going to the trouble of publishing the up-to-date kernel sources if the roms are not going to take advantage of it.

Hi,

that's not really necessary if you ask me. We could always bring the kernel in sync with CAF, but that's it. This is also what OEMs do when updating their kernels (apart from fixes and such). Jerpelea, a Sony Mobile developer, agrees (see this post).
Also there aren't many "active" Xperia fusion3 (Z, ZL, Tablet Z) maintainers at the moment , and I haven't had enough time for such things.

BUT: Contributions are always welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: andrewwright

Hunter1998

Jan 10, 2014
Help

I don't know much of anything about developing but am fairly competent and comfortable with flashing ROM's and kernels. I own an N5, and would be willing to help however possible.

Last edited:

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I don't know much of anything about developing but am fairly competent and comfortable with flashing ROM's and kernels. I own an N5, and would be willing to help however possible.

In that case - file bugreports in JIRA, since your device does have a maintainer. One does not gain the skills to be a maintainer overnight. Most people I know, including myself were "co-maintainers" (assisting with bringup but not solo) on devices for a year or more before their first time "flying solo".

Reactions: Hunter1998

Gokulbalram

Apr 22, 2013
Pune
In that case - file bugreports in JIRA, since your device does have a maintainer. One does not gain the skills to be a maintainer overnight. Most people I know, including myself were "co-maintainers" (assisting with bringup but not solo) on devices for a year or more before their first time "flying solo".
I became one overnight ._. (Nowhere near a skilled maintainer though.) I only know how to compile. Nothing other than that :/

Jayanttyagi

Feb 4, 2013
lg e450

sorry if this the wrong thread to post.
I have an old lg e450(mtk 6575), and all the sources has been released by lg. Can anything be done to make this device alive?

Last edited:

Hunter1998

Jan 10, 2014

Who do I need to contact to help?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Unknowns:

Oh wow, even MediaTek is getting better. Meanwhile, this Bull****.

So @Entropy512, I read all the 100 posts, and I finally understand you.

The key message here is that the core team can't maintain every device!

As much as we hate to remove devices, there will be a significant number removed, if there's no active maintainer for it. No device will be enabled for L nightlies (and thus official support) if there's nobody active and competent who is maintaining it.

If you've always wanted to get involved, now really is the time - L is upon us, and good things are happening :)

Going forward, if there is sufficient interest from the community (i.e. go out there and talk to devs and contributors from other projects please!), we are more than happy to facilitate making the 4.4 branch of Omni an ongoing project.

For this to work though, it would require enough developers to come together on legacy devices to make it viable. With new major Android versions, a lot of custom ROMs simply don't continue support for devices "left behind", but we're willing to try this out as an experiment. If there are sufficient (experienced) developers, we'll have 4.4 as an active project which will accept features and patches as normal.

For this to work though, it does require everyone to play their part - we'll need reliable people to review and approve changes etc, as well as active maintainers for devices.

Thanks..

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AndrewDodd/posts/cdPnNjLAb4F

Even I own an S3, but after reading this, I really wouldnt be pissed to see it being dropped