[Request] New Launcher

Search This thread

joeavery2

Nov 9, 2007
Hello,
I have a idea for a launcher but don't have the programing experience to make it. Unless a launcher is much easier to do then I think. I have done some light app dev in eclipse for android and would be willing to try it my self if someone can point me in the right direction.

I'll put the idea out there and anyone who wishes to use it I only ask to be credited with the original concept.

I call it "No Home"

The idea is that I am constantly hitting back or home to return to the home screen before I press the power button and put the phone to sleep. But the home screen provides nothing I really need, at least not necessarily. So Instead pressing home button will open a app drawer, I like the one Zeam uses since on return you are back where you left it. Also Some of the others allow changing of the number of Icons wide and tall are displayed, This would be a nice addition since I have a EVO and four by four has a lot of wasted space. Also it needs to be able to do folders. This allows for apps to be organized.
On boot you are opened to the App Drawer/screen. Then from there you just leave the phone at what ever app it is in when letting it sleep, if you need to open a new app either long press home for a recent app or press it to get to the app drawer/screen.

There would be no widgets unless they could go in the app screen, The notifications will have to do. I'm sure a always running notification that provides some kind of folder or something for widgets could be developed.

I know this would not be the launcher for everyone, maybe not even you. I also realize it sounds like this or that launcher or that I could achieve the same thing by not pressing the home button, but I think as a App it would be faster and lighter then any home screen launcher could be.

tbo-art

Jun 26, 2010
Apeldoorn
Nice!

Hello,
I have a idea for a launcher but don't have the programing experience to make it. Unless a launcher is much easier to do then I think. I have done some light app dev in eclipse for android and would be willing to try it my self if someone can point me in the right direction.

I'll put the idea out there and anyone who wishes to use it I only ask to be credited with the original concept.

I call it "No Home"

The idea is that I am constantly hitting back or home to return to the home screen before I press the power button and put the phone to sleep. But the home screen provides nothing I really need, at least not necessarily. So Instead pressing home button will open a app drawer, I like the one Zeam uses since on return you are back where you left it. Also Some of the others allow changing of the number of Icons wide and tall are displayed, This would be a nice addition since I have a EVO and four by four has a lot of wasted space. Also it needs to be able to do folders. This allows for apps to be organized.
On boot you are opened to the App Drawer/screen. Then from there you just leave the phone at what ever app it is in when letting it sleep, if you need to open a new app either long press home for a recent app or press it to get to the app drawer/screen.

There would be no widgets unless they could go in the app screen, The notifications will have to do. I'm sure a always running notification that provides some kind of folder or something for widgets could be developed.

I know this would not be the launcher for everyone, maybe not even you. I also realize it sounds like this or that launcher or that I could achieve the same thing by not pressing the home button, but I think as a App it would be faster and lighter then any home screen launcher could be.

Nice idea. But I don't have the programming skills either. Good luck with it and I hope that someone can make this soon!
Tbo-art

Aashed

Sep 28, 2010
I think you´re idea sounds a lot like iOS :rolleyes:
I personally don´t like it, but I´m sure some will!

joeavery2

Nov 9, 2007
have you tried vlauncher
search for it in the market

Good call. It is not far off, and I'd consider it, but I'm not going for a iOS Home screen, I like the vertical drawer very much over horizontal and, I'm not sure if it is just my phone but I saw serious lag on vlauncher.

I guess What I'm looking for is really just a launcher missing the home screen. A striped down launcher. I need a app drawer that will allow me to get to my apps fast, and I have about 200 apps on my phone. Having to go home then press the app drawer button is two steps vs my proposed one. Also 16 apps vs 25 (for higher res screens like the EVO) makes a big difference.

I think I saw a how-to in a starting with android lesson that had a home screen lesson. Maybe I'll give that a shot... Have to find it again.

Still welcome any other suggestions or help, thanks for the ones so far.

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Good call. It is not far off, and I'd consider it, but I'm not going for a iOS Home screen, I like the vertical drawer very much over horizontal and, I'm not sure if it is just my phone but I saw serious lag on vlauncher.

I guess What I'm looking for is really just a launcher missing the home screen. A striped down launcher. I need a app drawer that will allow me to get to my apps fast, and I have about 200 apps on my phone. Having to go home then press the app drawer button is two steps vs my proposed one. Also 16 apps vs 25 (for higher res screens like the EVO) makes a big difference.

I think I saw a how-to in a starting with android lesson that had a home screen lesson. Maybe I'll give that a shot... Have to find it again.

Still welcome any other suggestions or help, thanks for the ones so far.

AWD Launcher (and I think other launchers as well) has an option to launch the drawer when pressing the home button.
(You can still go to the desktop by tapping a on-screen icon: convenient for incedental consult of some widgets)

joeavery2

Nov 9, 2007
AWD Launcher (and I think other launchers as well) has an option to launch the drawer when pressing the home button.
(You can still go to the desktop by tapping a on-screen icon: convenient for incedental consult of some widgets)

Ah, I found the home button binding setting in AWD Launcher, I forgot how configurable AWD was, and how much I liked it. This is close, When you press home it brings you to the home screen and a second tap brings up the app launcher, which you can set the number wide and tall the icons are.

This will work, between this and just leaving the phone at it's present state vs. pressing home before putting it to sleep, it basically solves my issue.

It would be a neat add on of AWD to Reverse the order of the home screen operation, maybe I'll suggest a option for that.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Reactions: next_lv2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ah, I found the home button binding setting in AWD Launcher, I forgot how configurable AWD was, and how much I liked it. This is close, When you press home it brings you to the home screen and a second tap brings up the app launcher, which you can set the number wide and tall the icons are.

This will work, between this and just leaving the phone at it's present state vs. pressing home before putting it to sleep, it basically solves my issue.

It would be a neat add on of AWD to Reverse the order of the home screen operation, maybe I'll suggest a option for that.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.