(Request) Partition Backups

Search This thread

anotherdj

Mar 2, 2018
Silicon Valley
Sure

put your phone into edl mode for me its hold power and volume down wait for the reboot then tap volume up as fast as i can.

open qfil tick "flat build" and make sure storage is set to ufs.

click browse and select your particular firehose file

under the tools menu select "Partition Manager" then click ok

right click the partition you want to backup then select "Manage Partition Data"

select "Read Data..."

the backup will start and status will show below in the status box and also show you where exactly the file was saved on your computer.

i just did that 94 times for each partition leaving out "user data".. hope this helps

Herb, would you happen to have a script to rename all those files ReadData_ufs_* by their corresponding labels? Am dumping Sprint firmware.

anotherdj

Mar 2, 2018
Silicon Valley
Stock Sprint Pie (20g) Partitions

Stock Sprint LM-V405UA ROM version Pie 20g (V405U20g). Dumped with QFIL after factory reset.

[Mirror 1] [Mirror 2]

V405U20g on slot A.

partitions patched to remove identifying details:
  • ftm // wiped IMEI, S/N
  • IMEI 15 bytes at offsets 0xD000, 0xE00044 replaced with "012345678901234"
  • S/N (serial number) 14 bytes at offset 0x12000 replaced with "DUMMYSERIALNUM"
  • carrier // Contained phone #, so I deleted databases on filesystem under carrier/apps, carrier/omadm
Partitions not included:
  • userdata
  • drm (includes SIM card ICCID and wifi MAC) // drm is an ext4 partition, you can create a blank one of right size, loop-mount it and copy stuff into it yourselves
  • modemst1
  • modemst2
  • fsg
  • els // encryption stuff
  • encrypt // encryption stuff
Everything else included: slot A partitions and common partitions.

Per steadfasterX salt.vars
Code:
# known to be dangerous to flash (in terms of locking/unlocking state and device specific data
# like IMEI etc
export PDEVICE="@(devinfo|drm|misc|modemst1|modemst2|persist|persistent|sns)"
Per N4cr2k: "skipping modemst1&2, fsg, eri (so i don't mess up my imei)"

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

I welcome anotherdj, I myself am not good at this, but I can tell you about the instructions using python, if you understand this, it will help you https://github.com/bkerler/edl#for-ufs-flash

@lexih - thanks for the heads up, man! I already dumped partitions by Windows QFIL before I saw your message. Will try it out this week - looks super-useful :good:

Last edited:

lexih

Sep 22, 2010
Stock, untampered Sprint LM-V405UA ROM version Pie 20g (V405U20g). Dumped with QFIL after factory reset.

[1]

V405U20g on slot A, V405U20f on slot B

Partitions not included:

• userdata
  • drm (includes SIM card ICCID and wifi MAC)
  • modemst1
  • modemst2
  • sns
  • fsg
  • ftm (includes IMEI and S/N)
Everything else included.

Per steadfasterX salt.vars
Code:
# known to be dangerous to flash (in terms of locking/unlocking state and device specific data
# like IMEI etc
export PDEVICE="@(devinfo|drm|misc|modemst1|modemst2|persist|persistent|sns)"
Per N4cr2k: "skipping modemst1&2, fsg, eri (so i don't mess up my imei)"

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

@lexih - thanks for the heads up, man! I already dumped partitions by Windows QFIL before I saw your message. Will try it out this week - looks super-useful :good:
thank you, success and respect to you!!!

lexih

Sep 22, 2010
in general, such a thing: I tried to put a backup from the sprint that yesterday I posted the respected Anotherdj and does not install, more precisely, everything is installed, but the size of OP_a / OP_b does not match the size of the partition as a result of the absence of the OP folder, it seems there are messages here on how to fix this problem, but it's difficult and it's not clear! how to solve this problem, who will tell you? I think that those who made crossflash will not be able to roll back to the sprint without creating rawprogram0.xml / patch0.xml! in general, I need help installing this backup

lexih

Sep 22, 2010
Just to follow up in case anyone is in the same boat as me. With 9008 mode and Qfil, this phone in almost un-brickable. This method will also let you restore original AT&T system firmware (or probably any) if you want to upgrade or get wifi calling back. By using the fh_gpt_entries, fh_gpt_headers and the gpt_main0 from my original at&t firmware and a kdz I was able to reconstruct the gpt partition table for LUN 0 that would allow a 648MB OP_a/b partition. I flashed this via Qfil using the partition manager raw address feature. Blocks 0-6 (24K) contain the gpt partition table of each LUN. The gpt backup goes at the end of the LUN (5 blocks 20k). Then I could use the amazing partition backup @herb9876 provided (Thanks again!!). skipping modemst1&2, fsg, eri (so i don't mess up my imei) to get back to a virgin AT&T image. Once it booted up and did an erase, I did factory reset just for good measure. From there you can use the regular software update to OTA to android 10!
According to the item "partition manager raw address feature" - what values should be entered to equalize the size of OP_a, b and the partition?the range to enter is from 0-6 or 0-1 and what other data needs to be entered to correctly edit the location and size?

N4cr2k

Jun 9, 2015
LG V60 ThinQ
You need to edit the GPT partition table to resize the any partitions, OP_a,b are no exception. This can be done by hand, the layout is well documented. Or if you can get an existing GPT that has the sizes you need, its probably easier to just flash that.

lexih

Sep 22, 2010
You need to edit the GPT partition table to resize the any partitions, OP_a,b are no exception. This can be done by hand, the layout is well documented. Or if you can get an existing GPT that has the sizes you need, its probably easier to just flash that.
ok!Thank you! I just flashed each batch by pre-installing the open kor 409n firmware (the size op_a.b is larger than that of the sprint, this made it possible to install the op_a sprint) now I have a full-fledged lg v40 sprint !!! Thank you all, good luck !!

anotherdj

Mar 2, 2018
Silicon Valley
ok!Thank you! I just flashed each batch by pre-installing the open kor 409n firmware (the size op_a.b is larger than that of the sprint, this made it possible to install the op_a sprint) now I have a full-fledged lg v40 sprint !!! Thank you all, good luck !!

@lexih The Sprint dump I posted does include GPT partition layouts for all LUNs, I believe - those fh_gpt_header*, fh_gpt_entries* should be it.

That bkerler/edl you suggested does describe itself as capable of generating rawprogram0.xml, rawpartition0.xml. Lemme run it when I find time...

Last edited:

lexih

Sep 22, 2010
@lexih The Sprint dump I posted does include GPT partition layouts for all LUNs, I believe - those fh_gpt_header*, fh_gpt_entries* should be it.

That bkerler/edl you suggested does describe itself as capable of generating rawprogram0.xml, rawpartition0.xml. Lemme run it when I find time...
Thanks for clarifying! regarding the creation of rawprogram0.xml, rawpartition0.xml - it would be great, because in fact it will be a stock firmware! we look forward to your results on generating rawprogram0.xml, rawpartition0.xml

Alibaba0101

Apr 28, 2008
Anyone have a backup for ATT 30c? somehow my slot A does not boot and just stays onthe lg v40 splash screen.

Already restored abl_a and boot_a from b but that didn't seem to make any difference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Anyone have a backup for ATT 30c? somehow my slot A does not boot and just stays onthe lg v40 splash screen.

Already restored abl_a and boot_a from b but that didn't seem to make any difference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

This is a link to att30c boot with twrp injected.I'd suggest to flash it to boot_a and see if it boots. Having twrp in it shouldn't stop it from booting, assuming that's enough.

If it's not enough, here's what may be the problem: You have att phone, you have had it for awhile. It has had updates? Then if that's the case, when you restored abl and boot from other slot, you restored the previous versions.

I have 30c files (I think, they may be 30b - have to look), try above, if that doesn't work let me know which ones you tried to restore as it looks like that may be prob.

cheers

Last edited:

Alibaba0101

Apr 28, 2008
This is a link to att30c boot with twrp injected.I'd suggest to flash it to boot_a and see if it boots. Having twrp in it shouldn't stop it from booting, assuming that's enough.

If it's not enough, here's what may be the problem: You have att phone, you have had it for awhile. It has had updates? Then if that's the case, when you restored abl and boot from other slot, you restored the previous versions.

I have 30c files (I think, they may be 30b - have to look), try above, if that doesn't work let me know which ones you tried to restore as it looks like that may be prob.

cheers
Thanks, i think i killed slot a which had 30c on it. It wouldn't let me apply the 30c boot image above because the size was too large. I am running on slot b which still has 30b and was able to root it by extracting boot_b and patching it. It takes a long time to do anything with this phone since every time you want to try something you have to 9008 and qfil the engineering bootloader to get into fastboot.

If you do have a backup of att 30c would appreciate it. Is there a way to get fastboot back on the att phone with a 30c bootloader?

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Thanks, i think i killed slot a which had 30c on it. It wouldn't let me apply the 30c boot image above because the size was too large. I am running on slot b which still has 30b and was able to root it by extracting boot_b and patching it. It takes a long time to do anything with this phone since every time you want to try something you have to 9008 and qfil the engineering bootloader to get into fastboot.

If you do have a backup of att 30c would appreciate it. Is there a way to get fastboot back on the att phone with a 30c bootloader?
I'll look to see shortly.

The thing most people do is flash the v35eng abl to the unused slot abl. Then use twrp to switch slots, boot to bootloader, use v35 eng fastboot. Then, in fastboot, set the other slot active and fastboot reboot.

You can also get a 'watered down' version of fastboot by erasing the laf. You'd then get to that fastboot by going to download mode. But to get DL mode (lgup) back, you'd have to reflash the original laf partition. iirc the 'watered down' version at&t gives is pretty good, what it won't do though is lock or unlock the bootloader. Pretty sure it can flash a partition and set active slot, etc.

cheers

Alibaba0101

Apr 28, 2008
I'll look to see shortly.

The thing most people do is flash the v35eng abl to the unused slot abl. Then use twrp to switch slots, boot to bootloader, use v35 eng fastboot. Then, in fastboot, set the other slot active and fastboot reboot.

You can also get a 'watered down' version of fastboot by erasing the laf. You'd then get to that fastboot by going to download mode. But to get DL mode (lgup) back, you'd have to reflash the original laf partition. iirc the 'watered down' version at&t gives is pretty good, what it won't do though is lock or unlock the bootloader. Pretty sure it can flash a partition and set active slot, etc.

cheers

Many Thanks!
I can't seem to get twrp to boot at all so I haven't been able to flash it. I just get the lg v40 splash screen every time I try it. So right now every time i want to try anything i boot to 9008, apply engineering laf, boot to fastboot, try changes and then reapply stock pie laf (since it doesn't appear to boot with engineering bootloader at all in pie).

I may try to delete laf and see how that works but the stock att laf does not give me any fastboot commands whatsoever, it just reboots back to the OS.

In case anyone else needs root without twrp, here is a general guide:

MUST BE BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED ALREADY

Boot to 9008 and use QFIL to backup active boot partition (boot_a or boot_b) - note backup location and filename
change the boot filename.bin to boot_a.img or boot_b.img so you don't mix it up with the others
boot to the os and copy the boot.img file over to the phone
use the magisk app to patch the boot.img file (disabling preserve encryption)
boot back to 9008 and use qfil to write the patched boot.img file to active slot boot_a or boot_b
boot back to the os and verify the magisk app that you are rooted

manjr

Feb 9, 2015
Xiaomi Mi A1
LG V35
Hi, I was wondering if you would be able to provide a step by step on this. I am guessing you did the same thing as me which was to "erase entire flash" or the "gpt" I mis-clicked what I wanted in my half awake state and now have a brick that can access 9008 mode and can still use qfil to connect.

I kind of understand what you are saying with rebuilding the gpt partition, but at the moment I am having difficulty in figuring out how to determine the values. I also have an AT&T phone, I believe I have a TWRP back up of the original Firmware/software information, and not sure what else would be useful in solving my issue.

Edit: I found some of the values for rebuilding extracting the KDZ then DZ, but am unsure where to find these values "fh_gpt_entries, fh_gpt_headers and the gpt_main0 from my original at&t firmware"
I'm not an IT or very tech-savvy person but I'm really new to unlocking bootloader on an LG phone. This is my first time and I happen to face this as you were! But mine is v35 I think the method to recover is partially the same.

Can you share your step-by-step solution on how you recovered yours?

I really appreciate you!

RioBlazer

May 16, 2022
LG V40
Hello guys I know this thread is old thread. But can I get att stock firmware. I just cross-flashed mine without unlocking and now my sim card is locked. I cant find its kdz anywhere. I tried restoring the backup I got from a guy on telegram. But when I try to restore it via QFIL. It gives firehose error.

Thanks for the Help in advance.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Hello guys I know this thread is old thread. But can I get att stock firmware. I just cross-flashed mine without unlocking and now my sim card is locked. I cant find its kdz anywhere. I tried restoring the backup I got from a guy on telegram. But when I try to restore it via QFIL. It gives firehose error.

Thanks for the Help in advance.
You'll never find an at&t kdz, it doesn't exist. Neither does one for sprint.

so the next step is to figure out why you're getting a firehose error, what it is specifically, and try to fix ea error until you can get the backup installed with qfil.

RioBlazer

May 16, 2022
LG V40
You'll never find an at&t kdz, it doesn't exist. Neither does one for sprint.

so the next step is to figure out why you're getting a firehose error, what it is specifically, and try to fix ea error until you can get the backup installed with qfil.
Well i get the error as "

Download Fail:FireHose Fail:FHLoader Fail:process fail"​

I just backup my files using the same file and and unlocked the bootloader using same file. But i cant flash the backup.

I tried some fixes
1: Run qfil from installation folder as administrator.
2: Reinstalled qfil and lg drivers.
3: Spme other fixes that i found online but i can't remember them right now.

Can it be a firehose file error or might be that backup files are currurpt?

Really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts