• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Request] Please make a guide/ tutorial on how install GSI ROM on the latest firmware.

Search This thread

blazzer12

Jun 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018)
The phones keeps getting updates and the procedure to install GSI ROM might change. There are a bunch of guides in here but none of them worked for me.

If you managed to run GSI ROM on the latest Samsung firmware please share how you did it. Or is it even possible now?

itmr

Mar 22, 2021
this method was tested on my SM-A750F with lineageOS 17&18 (android 10&11).

1. download the AB VNDKLITE variant (should be called something with arm64-ab-vndklite.img or arm64_b??-vndklite.img)
2. if the image is in a .xz format, extract it using xz or 7zip/winzip
3. download the zip file i attached to this post
4. copy the zip and the extracted image into a SDCARD, then move the SDCARD into the phone.
5. install a custom recovery (for SM-A750FN, use TWRP by ashyx; for SM-A750F or SM-A750GN/DS, use PBRP)
6. boot into the custom recovery by holding the power button + volume up while restarting.
7. swipe to allow modifications
8. click install
9. on TWRP, you will need to click Install Image
10. navigate to your SDCARD folder
11. click on the .img file
12. it should ask you where do you want to install this image. click system
13. wait for it to flash.
14. click install again, then select the zip file you downloaded from your SDCARD.
15. click flash
16. after you finished flashing it, click install, navigate to /data/tmp and install Magisk.zip (you can delete this file after flashing it).
17. Click wipe > format data, then format data
18. After formatting data, click reboot>reboot system. you should now boot into your new OS!

Attachments

• GSI_Fixer.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 15
Reactions: blazzer12

blazzer12

Jun 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018)
Thank you for the guide!!!

It booted to Lineage OS 18 but after rebooting it's stuck at the lock screen: Screen Lock, Fingerprint and Camera are not working. Is this to be expected for Lineage OS 18?

Last edited:

itmr

Mar 22, 2021
did you make sure to wipe data before you installed the new OS?
what do you mean by screen lock? password?
What model do you have? (e.g. SM-A750FN, SM-A750F, etc)
can you send me the logs when the camera crashes/when setting password? (to get logs, run adb logcat -f logcat.txt, then upload logcat.txt)

blazzer12

Jun 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018)
What model do you have? (e.g. SM-A750FN, SM-A750F, etc)

Device: SM-A750GN

Tried: GSI - Lineage OS 18 [arm64-ab-vndklite]

did you make sure to wipe data before you installed the new OS?

Yes I made I sure I followed your instructions. Question: Is it enough if I format the data partition once? If first attempt failed and I want to flash another ROM will I have to format data partition again? I am doing this everything just to be sure for now.

what do you mean by screen lock? password?

During the initial setup if I try to set a PIN or Fingerprint it bootloops or the setup crashes.

Outcome of each ROM:

Lineage OS 17: Bootloop = The logo keeps moving.

Lineage OS 18:Camera, GPS not working. Error when setting PIN for lockscreen.

Please check attachments for logcats and screenshots.

Attachments

• logcat_09-04-2021_23-52-59_camera.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 4
  • logcat_09-04-2021_23-54-24_lockscreen_pin.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210904-235242_Camera.png
    Screenshot_20210904-235242_Camera.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210904-235252_Camera.png
    Screenshot_20210904-235252_Camera.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 5

itmr

Mar 22, 2021
Can you send me a logcat of the boot proccess? (start logcat when powering up the phone, close it after camera crashed/pin setting crashes)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this method was tested on my SM-A750F with lineageOS 17&18 (android 10&11).

1. download the AB VNDKLITE variant (should be called something with arm64-ab-vndklite.img or arm64_b??-vndklite.img)
    2. if the image is in a .xz format, extract it using xz or 7zip/winzip
    3. download the zip file i attached to this post
    4. copy the zip and the extracted image into a SDCARD, then move the SDCARD into the phone.
    5. install a custom recovery (for SM-A750FN, use TWRP by ashyx; for SM-A750F or SM-A750GN/DS, use PBRP)
    6. boot into the custom recovery by holding the power button + volume up while restarting.
    7. swipe to allow modifications
    8. click install
    9. on TWRP, you will need to click Install Image
    10. navigate to your SDCARD folder
    11. click on the .img file
    12. it should ask you where do you want to install this image. click system
    13. wait for it to flash.
    14. click install again, then select the zip file you downloaded from your SDCARD.
    15. click flash
    16. after you finished flashing it, click install, navigate to /data/tmp and install Magisk.zip (you can delete this file after flashing it).
    17. Click wipe > format data, then format data
    18. After formatting data, click reboot>reboot system. you should now boot into your new OS!
    u need to downgrade to the oldest same sw bit firmware, no other options works