• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

requesting a more detailed article on anti roll back

Search This thread

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8

nice article, although it only pertains to xiaomi phones. id like to humbly request some more articles for other phones as well.

honestly it was all beginners luck when i fastboot flashed stock A9 from LOS A11 before even knowing about ARB and AVB (TM). thankfully i could reflash stock back then and here i am using another A11 ROM from an A9 official firmware, after discovering the evils of ARB and AVB (TM) bros.

when i restarted back i noticed my phone was still locked with my xiaomi and google account. thankfully that hidden partitions a nice security measure in case a thief was smart enough to reflash.

Solution
in theory as long as its the same OS version one should still be able to flash chinese on global if its the same ARB index. dont think there is a legit way to restrict region/global firmware yet.

i mean reflashing an entire original stock ROM from recovery. yeah im old school, for heavy duty flashing shouldnt fastboot be preferred? do people these days prefer flashing via recovery instead of fastboot?
No, this theory isn't even close to reality. Just thinking about flashing chinese on global would hard-brick your device, you can google it.
Any brand that has multiple regions ROMs (OPPO, Xiaomi, Huawei, etc.) strictly prevent that, especially chinese ROMs of said brand.

And...

XDHx86

Nov 1, 2017
openuserjs.org
Samsung Galaxy Star
Anti roll back is a feature present only in Xiaomi phones.
You can roll back on Samsung on the condition the ROM uses the same bootloader version.
You can roll back freely on other phones as well (Huawei, Honor, Pixel, Nexus, OPPO, etc..) on the condition that the phone supports or was launched with that old android version.

XDHx86

Nov 1, 2017
openuserjs.org
Samsung Galaxy Star
ah, and here i thought other brands were also going to be harsh in hopes of people borking their phones more often. xiaomi was actually pretty lenient with how ARB works. a full original firmware flash via recovery sounds suicidal IMHO...
Xiaomi didn't do so in hopes for people to break their devices, they did it so you can't flash chinese on global it's one of the measures they took to prevent that.
I don't think Xiaomi was anywhere near lenient with their policy, they basically said fk your device.
What's suicidal in flashing ROM through recovery? That's how it's usually done.

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8
Xiaomi didn't do so in hopes for people to break their devices, they did it so you can't flash chinese on global it's one of the measures they took to prevent that.
I don't think Xiaomi was anywhere near lenient with their policy, they basically said fk your device.
What's suicidal in flashing ROM through recovery? That's how it's usually done.
in theory as long as its the same OS version one should still be able to flash chinese on global if its the same ARB index. dont think there is a legit way to restrict region/global firmware yet.

i mean reflashing an entire original stock ROM from recovery. yeah im old school, for heavy duty flashing shouldnt fastboot be preferred? do people these days prefer flashing via recovery instead of fastboot?

XDHx86

Nov 1, 2017
openuserjs.org
Samsung Galaxy Star

No, this theory isn't even close to reality. Just thinking about flashing chinese on global would hard-brick your device, you can google it.
Any brand that has multiple regions ROMs (OPPO, Xiaomi, Huawei, etc.) strictly prevent that, especially chinese ROMs of said brand.

And it's not about old school, it's about what works best. TWRP is better than fastboot, but that doesn't mean fastboot is redundant.
I personally prefer TWRP, but if the device supports fastbootd then I'd use it instead.
If the device doesn't have a working TWRP or any other recovery then I'd use fastboot. So in summery fastbootd>TWRP>fastboot.

If you meant stock recovery of any device, you can't flash from it anything except updates. On some brands like OPPO and Huawei you can flash older version, again on the condition the device supports or was released with this version.

Reactions: fonzacus
Solution

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
And it's not about old school, it's about what works best. TWRP is better than fastboot, but that doesn't mean fastboot is redundant.
I personally prefer TWRP, but if the device supports fastbootd then I'd use it instead.
If the device doesn't have a working TWRP or any other recovery then I'd use fastboot. So in summery fastbootd>TWRP>fastboot.
TWRP under the hood simply is a ( touch screen driven ) menu that lets you run ( some ) ADB and Fastboot commands, as any other Custom Recovery and even the devices Stock Recovery, too.

Comparing TWRP with Fastboot means comparing apples with pears, IMO.

Reactions: fonzacus

XDHx86

Nov 1, 2017
openuserjs.org
Samsung Galaxy Star
TWRP under the hood simply is a ( touch screen driven ) menu that lets you run ( some ) ADB and Fastboot commands, as any other Custom Recovery and even the devices Stock Recovery, too.

I totally agree. Which is exactly why I prefer it, because it's easier to use.
I get that fastboot can't compete although they're basically the same and comparing this to that is just a waste of time, but for simplicity sake TWRP is just better.
I mean, who would hate using the touch screen they paid for with a nice GUI ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you meant stock recovery of any device, you can't flash from it anything except updates. On some brands like OPPO and Huawei you can flash older version, again on the condition the device supports or was released with this version.