ReRun Root/Write Protection Removal for a variety of ZTE devices

Search This thread

riverstyxxx

May 9, 2015
I still can not gain temp. Root as is step 2. Run towelroot, gain temp. Root, check with root checker.
Well towelroot says I should have root but root checker still says the same as before no root. Per my earlier posts.
Any advice??

Make sure you have the right model of phone (Not saying you dont, but pull out the battery and be sure it says Model Z796C) and the android versions for all of the ones I have are 4.1.2. You need an internet connection in order for towelroot to run, current version is 3 @ towelroot.com.
It helps to wait about 30 seconds before running root checker. If that still doesn't do it, reboot your phone and try again because I had problems about 30% of the time with towelroot.

EDIT: There's ONE other possibility, and this affected one of the phones I rooted because it kept popping up with google play store errors and the screen timeout wouldn't set any higher than default. Reboot into recovery (adb reboot recovery) then do a complete system wipe and restore. Then install the apk's and try again.

Last edited:
Reactions: XxAmyJo87xX

XxAmyJo87xX

Jan 29, 2015
Lanexa
Make sure you have the right model of phone (Not saying you dont, but pull out the battery and be sure it says Model Z796C) and the android versions for all of the ones I have are 4.1.2. You need an internet connection in order for towelroot to run, current version is 3 @ towelroot.com.
It helps to wait about 30 seconds before running root checker. If that still doesn't do it, reboot your phone and try again because I had problems about 30% of the time with towelroot.

EDIT: There's ONE other possibility, and this affected one of the phones I rooted because it kept popping up with google play store errors and the screen timeout wouldn't set any higher than default. Reboot into recovery (adb reboot recovery) then do a complete system wipe and restore. Then install the apk's and try again.
Thank you thank you....finally I was able to get root .....recovery....then factory reset did it....as much as I didn't want to do it...but thank you ...now if I could just get a WiFi hotspot app to work I'd be just peachy

Sent from my Z796C using XDA-Developers mobile app

riverstyxxx

May 9, 2015
Thank you thank you....finally I was able to get root .....recovery....then factory reset did it....as much as I didn't want to do it...but thank you ...now if I could just get a WiFi hotspot app to work I'd be just peachy

Sent from my Z796C using XDA-Developers mobile app

That's great news, glad I could help. The phone I activated needed the same thing. Once you have temp root, keep following the steps and you'll have permanent. If you need the exact script quotes for the x and y thing, let me know. It's a nice phone, underrated and unappreciated. Needs a custom rom, for sure. Another problem is that it takes two rings for the caller to get my phone to ring, probably a network thing though (I'm on pageplus, real cheap).

If any developers have an interest: I have two extra ZTE Majesty phones, rooted, available for testing.

Last edited:

riverstyxxx

May 9, 2015
OK now I'm trying to remove some system app but it says they are read only...I'm still showing I'm rooted but I won't let me remove system app like chrome came pre installed but it sucks on this phone

If you're talking about the app called "Uninstall" and its an icon of an arrow with a trashcan, uninstalling system apps don't work for me either. What will work is "App quarantine" to freeze whatever's bugging you. Don't enable advanced options unless you really know what you're doing. I bricked the first phone this way (I have 2 more) because I didnt know there was no more system recovery, I wasn't as careful and paid the price. This phone really needs a custom recovery/rom, it has a lot of potential.

XxAmyJo87xX

Jan 29, 2015
Lanexa
If you're talking about the app called "Uninstall" and its an icon of an arrow with a trashcan, uninstalling system apps don't work for me either. What will work is "App quarantine" to freeze whatever's bugging you. Don't enable advanced options unless you really know what you're doing. I bricked the first phone this way (I have 2 more) because I didnt know there was no more system recovery, I wasn't as careful and paid the price. This phone really needs a custom recovery/rom, it has a lot of potential.
OK so I'll leave them be for the moment....you by any chance know about barnacle WiFi tether do ya??..It seems to work i think my iPhone 6 can see and connect and I can surf the web ...but my laptop can see it but it says it can not connect to network..when I try to connect to it.....any thought on this

riverstyxxx

May 9, 2015
OK so I'll leave them be for the moment....you by any chance know about barnacle WiFi tether do ya??..It seems to work i think my iPhone 6 can see and connect and I can surf the web ...but my laptop can see it but it says it can not connect to network..when I try to connect to it.....any thought on this

No, I don't know anything about it. I also discovered that there's a ring lag with these phones. I linked it to google voice and it seems to have fixed it, for the most part, plus I enabled voicemail.

Y

Yonigz

I have tried Everything to root My ZTE 610Dl . Is rooting possible for this model please?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all,

Today I present you with Rerun Root for the ZTE Majesty!

Disclaimer
    The usual. I am not responsible for any damage done by YOU to YOUR device. As always, anything can brick your phone! Be careful!

What is the ZTE Majesty?

It is an extremely cheap, low end 2013 phone that, honestly, very few people probably have.

Why are you making this?

ReRun isn't about this device in specific, the Majesty was just the only ZTE phone I had in hand. The vulnerability that ReRun relies on (Thanks to Justin Case & Beaups! Without them this wouldn't be possible) is present in nearly all ZTE devices! This allows you to reboot to a mode where Write Protection will be disabled, and it can be re-enabled with a simple reboot (Or not! Your choice!)

Does this work on a Locked Bootloader?

I can't speak for every device, but on most, yes. I.e. ZTE Max, ZTE Blade, ZTE Majesty

I want to port this to x ZTE device?

Read the readme in the attached .zip. It honestly isn't too complicated. If you have a device that you have tested it on that works, send me a PM with your Boot.img, Recovery.img, and their corresponding blocks on the eMMC, and I will add support to ReRun.

What Black Magic is this?
    We are taking the boot partition (kernel, ramdisk, etc.) and writing it to the recovery partition, then rebooting to recovery. The reason this works is:
    1. The Boot& Recovery images are signed in the same way by ZTE, meaning that the phones don't known the difference, they just see that the signature is valid.
    2. When the recovery kernel is booted, it is booted with permission to re-mount system RW, side-stepping Write Protection.

How do I use this?
    Open rerun.bat and follow the instructions, you will need to have temp-root (i.e. TowelRoot), and SuperSU installed before running the tool, though, it will walk you through all that.

Supported Phones:

As of now, only the Majesty, but like I stated above, PM your device's Boot.img, Recovery.img, and their corresponding blocks on the eMMC, and I will add support to ReRun.

NOTE:
    On several Straight Talk ZTE Phones, there are no Factory Restore Images, and FastBoot is disabled, meaning that if you boot loop, you have close to a 0% chance of recovery. BE CAREFUL!

Downloads:
    v1.0: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1rm1VFiz_2FN1BXZWFBYzc2ZFU/view?usp=sharing

XDA:DevDB Information
    ReRun Root/Write Protection Removal, Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    npjohnson, npjohnson

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v1.0
    Stable Release Date: 2015-05-25

Created 2015-05-25
    Last Updated 2015-05-25
    Great job!

Doesn't work with ZTE's more tightly locked down phones though, such as Zinger, Whirl 2, Quartz, etc.

The recovery is write protected on these phones.... I'm working on the Quartz now, released in June of 2014.

ZTE saw this coming.

Good job though
    Thanks @npjohnson

I downloaded this, read the read me, decided to try the script, a number of times. It kept copying to external sd, then internal when I removed external. I then tried the adb steps, went well until step 2.e. Guessed the partition for recovery, it seemed to be mmcblk0p16. Pasted that in for the next step and continued steps as listed in read-me. Finally seemed to work, so if this may help anyone. Thanks again.
    Also, I believe to be able to write to system after these steps, you need to boot to pretend recovery, i.e. power off, volume up + power.

Update: Yes root is retained after shutdown/reboot. Busybox installs as does viper4android.

Good to hear. What phone?
    How do I get temp root I tried towelroot but it didn't work
    What phone, what firmware, what android version?
    So when someone gets the partitions and images from the Axxon Phone this exploit will work?!
    Any ZTE phone made after October 2014 is likely not vulnerable

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    I still can not gain temp. Root as is step 2. Run towelroot, gain temp. Root, check with root checker.
    Well towelroot says I should have root but root checker still says the same as before no root. Per my earlier posts.
    Any advice??