• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

RESOLVED! [SOS!] Phone can't boot past bootloader

Search This thread

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines
My phone is having a bowl of bootloops right now lol.

I have a unlocked htc 10, i unlocked the bootloader (S-on since leedroid thread didn't say it was necessary), flashed the latest TWRP formatted data part, rebooted recovery again, swiped allow modifications, flashed the marshmallow version of the ROM and nothing but bootloops. what am i missing? thanks

first time HTC owner here coming from a 6p so show mercy :)

Last edited:

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5

I have a unlocked htc 10, i unlocked the bootloader (S-on since leedroid thread didn't say it was necessary), flashed the latest TWRP formatted data part, rebooted recovery again, swiped allow modifications, flashed the marshmallow version of the ROM and nothing but bootloops. what am i missing? thanks

Are you on MM firmware or N?
Also S-OFF is the way to go. :)

Reactions: drago10029

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines

I was on latest stock nougat before I started the process. since the I have tried flashing both leedroid marshmallow zip and the nougat magisk zip also. and what's the deal with s-off?

Everywhere i look they're all how to's about s-off lol. seems hard to find a thread on what s-off is, if it's needed to for a specific ROM or not :/ that being said leedroid it wasn't needed as quoted below. thanks!

If you wish to s-off first, please follow >> THIS GUIDE << by @jcase & return when your device is back up and running.

First boot will take approximately 15 minutes due to Art optimization

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines
UPDATE: things have gotten worse.... I was attempting to relock the bootloader since RUU was failing with error 155, someone in a diff HTC thread said locked bootloader was needed for RUU. now phone flashes HTC logo then powers off. buttons pressed not going to recovery right now :( anyone wanna chime in? please...

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
I was on latest stock nougat before I started the process. since the I have tried flashing both leedroid marshmallow zip and the nougat magisk zip also. and what's the deal with s-off?

Everywhere i look they're all how to's about s-off lol. seems hard to find a thread on what s-off is, if it's needed to for a specific ROM or not :/ that being said leedroid it wasn't needed as quoted below. thanks!

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1680928

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines

hmmmm according to that post the TWRP i flashed should have reverted on reboot and that hasn't been the case at all since it has survived multiple reboots... any thoughts on that?

"...Basically, all changes made to these partitions while the phone is running is not permanent, and will be reset upon a reboot..."

EDIT: also does that mean unless I have S-off none of the custom ROMs will flash? so what's the point of unlocking a bootloader is that needs to be disabled also :(

Last edited:

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
hmmmm according to that post the TWRP i flashed should have reverted on reboot and that hasn't been the case at all since it has survived multiple reboots... any thoughts on that?

"...Basically, all changes made to these partitions while the phone is running is not permanent, and will be reset upon a reboot..."

EDIT: also does that mean unless I have S-off none of the custom ROMs will flash? so what's the point of unlocking a bootloader is that needs to be disabled also :(

Keep in mind the date on that post is from a few years back (2012). You can't put all your eggs into one basket, so to speak. I was just giving you 1 article I found from a simple Google Search. Encryption and TWRP have changed quite a lot, especially since Nougat.
From my small amount of time, I think you may be confused about what the difference is between an unlocked bootloader and S-OFF, which I'd need to even go back and read that article, but thought it touched a little on it
The 10 has changed quite a bit too from past phones. Before you'd need to be S-OFF and unlocked bootloader. Now S-OFF unlocked and S-OFF locked are basically the same, but that can be found in threads if you'd like to find more info on that.
Most the info is there, you just need to search. If you need help finding articles, I can try and help with that. I've been surprised with the great info I've found after awhile of coming up empty.
I'm just now seeing all the new posts that came from before I posted and have been on my phone and don't have the time to catch up on it all right now.
Hope things get squared away for you soon, I'll check in when I can.

It seemed you were in a simple bootloop, but I'm not 100%. I think your issue was flashing MM ROM on N firmware. Can't do that.

Also, Verizon doesn't allow us to unlock bootloader on Htc-dev. So if we want to root, we must S-OFF.

Last edited:

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines
Keep in mind the date on that post is from a few years back. You can't put all your eggs into one basket, so to speak. I was just giving you 1 article I found from a simple Google Search. Encryption and TWRP have changed quite a lot, especially since Nougat.
I'm just now seeing all the new posts that came from before I posted and have been on my phone and don't have the time to catch up on it all right now.

gotcha and thanks! so for anyone else who wants to help. I have regained access to download mode and bootloader. when attempting to run latest official RUU.exe from HTC's site, i get error 155. via HTC the error means I'm using the wrong update but my phone reports SW 2.48.617.1 and I'm trying to update it to SW 2.48.617.3.

also i have relocked the bootloader and have s-off.

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
gotcha and thanks! so for anyone else who wants to help. I have regained access to download mode and bootloader. when attempting to run latest official RUU.exe from HTC's site, i get error 155. via HTC the error means I'm using the wrong update but my phone reports SW 2.48.617.1 and I'm trying to update it to SW 2.48.617.3.

What method have you tried for the SW?
is it an RUU or just firmware?
I suggest the sdcard method.
Make sure to have the correct htc_fastboot.exe over the standard fastboot.exe, this could be the cause of your failure.
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24545065934258327

Either remove your current fastboot.exe and rename this one to it, or keel it as htc_fastboot.exe and use the correct, htc_fastboot flash, over fastboot flash

Last edited:

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines
Make sure to have the correct htc_fastboot.exe over the standard fastboot.exe, this could be the cause of your failure.

Either remove your current fastboot.exe and rename this one to it, or keel it as htc_fastboot.exe and use the correct, htc_fastboot flash, over fastboot flash

bear in mind I'm still learning all this HTC stuff lol

is it an RUU or just firmware? It's an RUU.exe for HTC 10 unlocked edition that i got from there website
I suggest the sdcard method. you mean installing custom ROM zip from sd card? otherwise i'm not sure what you mean.
Make sure to have the correct htc_fastboot.exe over the standard fastboot.exe, this could be the cause of your failure. hmmm well I used fastboot.exe from minimal adb & fasboot to unlock bootloader and that worked fine, and should i still i just replace fastboot in platform tools folder with fastboot.exe from htc website?

also so s-off shouldn't be needed to install the ROMs? just bootloader unlock?

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5

is it an RUU or just firmware? It's an RUU.exe for HTC 10 unlocked edition that i got from there website
I suggest the sdcard method. you mean installing custom ROM zip from sd card? otherwise i'm not sure what you mean.
Make sure to have the correct htc_fastboot.exe over the standard fastboot.exe, this could be the cause of your failure. hmmm well I used fastboot.exe from minimal adb & fasboot to unlock bootloader and that worked fine, and should i still i just replace fastboot in platform tools folder with fastboot.exe from htc website?

Keep in mind this is me helping in my free time. :)
Use the linked htc_fastboot.. It's made for htc, it's why I mentioned it..
I've seen many ppl have RUU fail by not using this.

Also an RUU/firmware have 3 methods to install.
I suggest the sd-card method. Safest.
Search. Search. Search. ...

Option 1

Copy 2PS6IMG.zip (THIS IS FOR VERIZON, YOUR CARRIER WILL NEED TO BE RENAMED CORRECTLY) to root of a physical SD formatted to fat32. No exfat! No internal storage! Must be external SD formated to fat32!

Reboot phone to download mode and follow prompts once RUU is detected by phone.

Option 2
EXE option. Download EXE file below (for windows) and simply double click to start. You can either be booted to OS with USB debugging enabled OR booted into download mode for this to start.

Option 3

Fastboot RUU mode . This method assumes you have a working ADB/Fastboot directory on your PC. Download RUU zip file and place in your working fastboot/adb directory. Boot your phone to download mode and connect to PC. Issue the following commands.

htc_fastboot oem rebootRUU
###while in this mode your phone will display an HTC logo on the screen

htc_fastboot flash zip 2PS6IMG.zip
##while in this mode you will see an HTC logo on the screen and a green status bar across the bottom of the screen. When command output ##completes it may say reboot required to flush etc... if that's the case issue a "htc_fastboot reboot-bootloader" command and restart option 1 again.

## assuming flash completes and no further flushing/reboots are requested from the cmd output you can now reboot IF you simply wish to reboot the system you can issue "htc_fastboot reboot" which will reboot system.
## expect a good 5 minute plus first boot!

--Taken from

Also read here. This is a great thread.

There's a lot of info out there.
Just search and do your homework.
It's easy to turn that device into a useless brick.
Especially being S-OFF... Secuirty-off..

I know it can be overwhelming, but the info is out there, and if not, just ask, as others most likely have the same question and this will help them.
:cool:

And correct, with S-OFF isn't needed to flash ROMs. Only bootloader unlock.

Last edited:

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines

Option 1

Copy 2PS6IMG.zip (THIS IS FOR VERIZON, YOUR CARRIER WILL NEED TO BE RENAMED CORRECTLY) to root of a physical SD formatted to fat32. No exfat! No internal storage! Must be external SD formated to fat32!

Option 2
EXE option. Download EXE file below (for windows) and simply double click to start. You can either be booted to OS with USB debugging enabled OR booted into download mode for this to start.

Option 3

Fastboot RUU mode . This method assumes you have a working ADB/Fastboot directory on your PC. Download RUU zip file and place in your working fastboot/adb directory. Boot your phone to download mode and connect to PC. Issue the following commands.

##while in this mode you will see an HTC logo on the screen and a green status bar across the bottom of the screen. When command output ##completes it may say reboot required to flush etc... if that's the case issue a "htc_fastboot reboot-bootloader" command and restart option 1 again.

## assuming flash completes and no further flushing/reboots are requested from the cmd output you can now reboot IF you simply wish to reboot the system you can issue "htc_fastboot reboot" which will reboot system.

--Taken from

I know it can be overwhelming, but the info is out there, and if not, just ask, as others most likely have the same question and this will help them.

my bad, i hope i didn't come off rude or anything. i do appreciate all your help and i understand it. I do the same here when i have the free time.

I will ask some question's on both those threads you linked. I came across one of them but no s-off and didn't wanna pay for sunshine app. also topjohnwu thread about stock and guides would be helpful if it listed which phones the code names correlate to.

in the end I see your point, keep researching and asking. and I do that very often and promise. today was different since a bunch of PC failed to install updates at work (post wannacry) lol and dealing with my bootlooping phone, my mind was scattered. iv'e bricked before but never on a phone this expensive *__*

thanks again andy!

JUST AN UPDATE: i restored via twrp after i got the bootlooping to stop. I completely forgot I had made one -__- (more scatter brains) so I'm good to go now.... kinda.

Reactions: andybones

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
my bad, i hope i didn't come off rude or anything. i do appreciate all your help and i understand it. I do the same here when i have the free time.

I will ask some question's on both those threads you linked. I came across one of them but no s-off and didn't wanna pay for sunshine app. also topjohnwu thread about stock and guides would be helpful if it listed which phones the code names correlate to.

in the end I see your point, keep researching and asking. and I do that very often and promise. today was different since a bunch of PC failed to install updates at work (post wannacry) lol and dealing with my bootlooping phone, my mind was scattered. iv'e bricked before but never on a phone this expensive *__*

thanks again andy!

JUST AN UPDATE: i restored via twrp after i got the bootlooping to stop. I completely forgot I had made one -__- (more scatter brains) so I'm good to go now.... kinda.

You didn't come off rude at all, I was actually hoping you didn't take my response as being rude. S-OFF and sunshine is completely worth the $25. However, for a normal user like yourself, you don't need it.
Glad to hear that you're somewhat good to go, lol.
You can always pm me or tag me in a post if needed and I'll do my best to help.
:)

Last edited:

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines
You didn't come off rude at all, I was actually hoping you didn't take my response as being rude. S-OFF and sunshine is completely worth the $25. However, for a normal user like yourself, you don't need it.
Glad to hear that you're somewhat good to go, lol.
You can always pm me or tag me in a post if needed and I'll do my best to help.
:)

glad no guns are being drawn here :D

and since no you offered lol.... how do i get my CID and MID? using the fastboot you kindly spotted me...

fastboot getvar all and fastboot oem readcid: both return nothing but fastboot not recognized..... etc. etc. I am in download mode (unlocked and s-on if that matters)

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
glad no guns are being drawn here :D

and since no you offered lol.... how do i get my CID and MID? using the fastboot you kindly spotted me...

fastboot getvar all and fastboot oem readcid: both return nothing but fastboot not recognized..... etc. etc. I am in download mode (unlocked and s-on if that matters)

Fastboot isn't recognized? As in it's not working?

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 5

2.48.617.3? I don't think there is such a thing. Do you mean 2.41.617.3?

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines
Fastboot isn't recognized? As in it's not working?

2.48.617.3? I don't think there is such a thing. Do you mean 2.41.617.3?

1st things 1st, SOS is no more. was trying to flash leedroid magisk file, thinking it was a ROM until i noticed the file size :rolleyes: so I went back to stock via TWRP backup (i forgot I made) since RUU was giving 155 error.

2nd the HTC fastboot wasn't working for some reason.. adb devices cmd detected nothing, it worked at my job though since i have android studio/platform tools there (shrug) so used that fastboot instead.

3rd I did mean SW 2.48.617.1 that's the exact OS version # that download mode reports currently and was the last official update i took several days before going custom route.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 5
1st things 1st, SOS is no more. was trying to flash leedroid magisk file, thinking it was a ROM until i noticed the file size :rolleyes: so I went back to stock via TWRP backup (i forgot I made) since RUU was giving 155 error.

2nd the HTC fastboot wasn't working for some reason.. adb devices cmd detected nothing, it worked at my job though since i have android studio/platform tools there (shrug) so used that fastboot instead.

3rd I did mean SW 2.48.617.1 that's the exact OS version # that download mode reports currently and was the last official update i took several days before going custom route.

Okay. Cool that you got it fixed. But you did say you were trying to update from 2.48.617.1 to 2.48.617.3, so that's why I said there was no .3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1680928

Keep in mind the date on that post is from a few years back (2012). You can't put all your eggs into one basket, so to speak. I was just giving you 1 article I found from a simple Google Search. Encryption and TWRP have changed quite a lot, especially since Nougat.
    From my small amount of time, I think you may be confused about what the difference is between an unlocked bootloader and S-OFF, which I'd need to even go back and read that article, but thought it touched a little on it
    The 10 has changed quite a bit too from past phones. Before you'd need to be S-OFF and unlocked bootloader. Now S-OFF unlocked and S-OFF locked are basically the same, but that can be found in threads if you'd like to find more info on that.
    Most the info is there, you just need to search. If you need help finding articles, I can try and help with that. I've been surprised with the great info I've found after awhile of coming up empty.

It seemed you were in a simple bootloop, but I'm not 100%. I think your issue was flashing MM ROM on N firmware. Can't do that.

Also, Verizon doesn't allow us to unlock bootloader on Htc-dev. So if we want to root, we must S-OFF.

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

--Taken from