• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Restore a TWRP backup with A/B system slots!

Search This thread

arkansawdave74

Nov 1, 2014
San Antonio, TX
CHANGED: You must flash the dm-verity.zip on ROM install to use the backup/restore feature of TWRP. It won't work if /data is encrypted. I jumped the gun when making this thread.

Last edited:

TaZeR369

Aug 28, 2016
Does this mean even today with the latest versions of twrp and magisk you cant restore the backups made of an encrypted phone? I just got a new Moto G7 Power and got it setup with those two things and made a backup - havnt tried restoring yet. Does your solution of flashing the dm-verify.zip thing mean the phone will be unencryped then? Because I cant have that, I rather not have backups. What about the old "adb backup" type command line does that still work?

flash713

I've had my phone since the day they were available at metro and I can't and don't even try to backup or restore anything anymore. On roms it always has broken lockscreen where you cannot secure phone. Because of this I stay encrypted and setup my **** all over again when I change roms.

Reactions: TaZeR369

TaZeR369

Aug 28, 2016
I've had my phone since the day they were available at metro and I can't and don't even try to backup or restore anything anymore. On roms it always has broken lockscreen where you cannot secure phone. Because of this I stay encrypted and setup my **** all over again when I change roms.

I see, too bad it's a nice function to backup/restore I guess I'll just backup my important data individually and try not to mess up my Rom.

flash713

arkansawdave74

Nov 1, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I see, too bad it's a nice function to backup/restore I guess I'll just backup my important data individually and try not to mess up my Rom.

Me too. I haven't a bit of luck with encrypted stock restores. I was told it would work if you don't restore /data, but when I made a backup without /data, it failed to restore. I HAVE been able to restore unencrypted customs though. I only backed up system, data, and boot when I succeeded. It's been a while. I think you have to wait a long time for the 1st boot after the restore, as if it were rebuilding ART or something. Haven't had any luck stopping stock from encrypting either. I hate not messing up my ROM. Boring.....

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018
Perhaps I am missing a critical detail, but I just successfully restored my latest LOS(lineage-17.1-20200524-UNOFFICIAL-ocean) & older CRD(crDroidAndroid-10.0-20200405-ocean-v6.4) backups(*) using TWRP(twrp-installer-3.3.1-2-ocean).

SELinux is NOT enforced, but "Trust"(lulz) claims the phone is encrypted.

My methodology requires installing the same base f/w I used when originally installing the ROM(former newest RETAIL for CRD & newest RETUS for LOS), root, flash copy partitions zip, flash>factory reset>1st boot of the original ROM zip, enable debug, install TWRP, boot into TWRP, wipe all & restore backup(*).

I just restored successfully 2x's on my xt1955-5.
I loaded LOS 10 & 3rds from scratch, made all my settings tweaks & made Titanium b/u(JIC), made TWRP b/u(*) then restored my previous CRD daily install using steps above. Then I repeated the above steps(again) to go back to my new, fresh LOS. It is annoying to have to reload f/w, et al, but def easier than reloading & retweaking the OS & all 3rds from scratch... Titanium fails to restore most settings + other nits.

To restore a backup(*) of a ROM I am currently running, I just boot to TWRP, wipe all & restore.

*: To make the original TWRP backup, I will run it & it will fail. I open the log file and find the last file/folder that "error"ed, delete the offender & re-run backup(boot, data & system). It works for me, no DM-verity flash required.

As always, YMMV.

Edit: PS: The problems seem to be stemming from beta testing the new "Trust"(lulz) framework, on all 10 ROMs(?). Would be nice to get that ironed out. A new Recovery wouldn't hurt, either. AFAIK, these problems exist in OFR, too.

Last edited:

roadkill42

Jul 13, 2013
Moto G7 Power
Perhaps I am missing a critical detail, but I just successfully restored my latest LOS(lineage-17.1-20200524-UNOFFICIAL-ocean) & older CRD(crDroidAndroid-10.0-20200405-ocean-v6.4) backups(*) using TWRP(twrp-installer-3.3.1-2-ocean).

SELinux is NOT enforced, but "Trust"(lulz) claims the phone is encrypted.

My methodology requires installing the same base f/w I used when originally installing the ROM(former newest RETAIL for CRD & newest RETUS for LOS), root, flash copy partitions zip, flash>factory reset>1st boot of the original ROM zip, enable debug, install TWRP, boot into TWRP, wipe all & restore backup(*).

I just restored successfully 2x's on my xt1955-5.
I loaded LOS 10 & 3rds from scratch, made all my settings tweaks & made Titanium b/u(JIC), made TWRP b/u(*) then restored my previous CRD daily install using steps above. Then I repeated the above steps(again) to go back to my new, fresh LOS. It is annoying to have to reload f/w, et al, but def easier than reloading & retweaking the OS & all 3rds from scratch... Titanium fails to restore most settings + other nits.

To restore a backup(*) of a ROM I am currently running, I just boot to TWRP, wipe all & restore.

*: To make the original TWRP backup, I will run it & it will fail. I open the log file and find the last file/folder that "error"ed, delete the offender & re-run backup(boot, data & system). It works for me, no DM-verity flash required.

As always, YMMV.

Edit: PS: The problems seem to be stemming from beta testing the new "Trust"(lulz) framework, on all 10 ROMs(?). Would be nice to get that ironed out. A new Recovery wouldn't hurt, either. AFAIK, these problems exist in OFR, too.
Have u tried the new 3.5 twrp

arkansawdave74

Nov 1, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Lol...and here it is a couple years later and I'm still searching whether a force-encrypted twrp backup of stock has been figured out how to restore...Pulled up my own thread. Lol.

judasistheway

Mar 15, 2012
Houston
i miss being able to backup android properly. it made me behave completely differently with my phone. it was a toy instead of just some tool. i'd just install every single rom, kernel modem operating system i could find or i'd just plagiarize the hell out of you guys for sh*ts and giggles and man i loved android so much back then but now its my cell phone. :\ i just liked the colorful language, i wasn't signing anybody else's code. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.