Restore cloud backup asks for a 3x3 pattern, but is encrypted with 6x6

Search This thread

marc79

Dec 5, 2012
Amsterdam
Hi all,

I have a Poco F1 with the latest LineageOS rom found elsewhere on XDA. I had to do a factory reset because of some weird problem, assuming that my backup to Google Drive could be restored during the setup wizard.

The backup turns out to be encrypted with my lock screen pattern, a policy introduced last year. Unfortunately, I was using a 6x6 unlock pattern, but the setup wizard only allows me to enter a 3x3 pattern. Unlike other pattern screens, there is no 3x3/4x4/5x5/6x6 selector on the bottom of the screen. In other words: I cannot unlock mt backup.

Things I tried:
- Skip the restore process in the setup wizard, go to the system settings first to configure the exact same 6x6 lock pattern, and then return to the restore process. This did not help.
- Running adb shell bmgr restore also failed:
Code:
$ adb shell bmgr restore TOKEN
Scheduling restore: POCO F1
restoreStarting: 82 packages
restoreFinished: -1000
done
(I know, it says "done", but nothing changed and this happened much faster than I would expect a restore process to be.)

What can try next? All help is appreciated.

zivel

Jul 13, 2019
i think we are out of luck

pretty much the same thing happened to me with 4x4 pattern yesterday.
in my opinion this is a big no-no for the pattern size feature in the lineageos and there should be warning about all of this in big bold letters when you are changing pattern size
if there is anyone with an idea how to fix it, please share but for now i think the only theoretical chance of ever retrieving the data is for google to add "forgot my pattern" functionality into the backup restore procedure.
also, i found out that the pattern i set up originally still unlocks the phone during boot when it restarts.
once the system runs i have now just plain 3x3 pattern but somehow the old one is stored somewhere even though i did full wipe of the phone in twrp

marc79

Dec 5, 2012
Amsterdam
Agree.

in my opinion this is a big no-no for the pattern size feature in the lineageos and there should be warning about all of this in big bold letters when you are changing pattern size

Exactly, I completely agree. The grid size feature was probably added to LineageOS before backups started to be encrypted with the pattern, but still I am surprised that this feature is still present in the code base while it cripples the backup restore process. A big fat warning is the bare minimum I would expect.

There isn't much information about this problem on the web, so I gave up on the thought of restoring my backup and built up my phone from scratch. Needless to say, I am using a 3x3 pattern now... Fortunately contacts and calendar have their own storage so the most important data (for me) is still safe.

Last edited:

PackElend

Feb 11, 2013
same :crying::crying::crying::crying: the situation here, there isn't even an option to postpone the restore, all things gone....

Reactions: smallthings

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I have a Poco F1 with the latest LineageOS rom found elsewhere on XDA. I had to do a factory reset because of some weird problem, assuming that my backup to Google Drive could be restored during the setup wizard.

The backup turns out to be encrypted with my lock screen pattern, a policy introduced last year. Unfortunately, I was using a 6x6 unlock pattern, but the setup wizard only allows me to enter a 3x3 pattern. Unlike other pattern screens, there is no 3x3/4x4/5x5/6x6 selector on the bottom of the screen. In other words: I cannot unlock mt backup.

Things I tried:
    - Skip the restore process in the setup wizard, go to the system settings first to configure the exact same 6x6 lock pattern, and then return to the restore process. This did not help.
    - Running adb shell bmgr restore also failed:
    Code:
    $ adb shell bmgr restore TOKEN
    Scheduling restore: POCO F1
    restoreStarting: 82 packages
    restoreFinished: -1000
    done
    (I know, it says "done", but nothing changed and this happened much faster than I would expect a restore process to be.)

What can try next? All help is appreciated.
    i think we are out of luck

pretty much the same thing happened to me with 4x4 pattern yesterday.
    if there is anyone with an idea how to fix it, please share but for now i think the only theoretical chance of ever retrieving the data is for google to add "forgot my pattern" functionality into the backup restore procedure.
    also, i found out that the pattern i set up originally still unlocks the phone during boot when it restarts.
    once the system runs i have now just plain 3x3 pattern but somehow the old one is stored somewhere even though i did full wipe of the phone in twrp
    Agree.

Exactly, I completely agree. The grid size feature was probably added to LineageOS before backups started to be encrypted with the pattern, but still I am surprised that this feature is still present in the code base while it cripples the backup restore process. A big fat warning is the bare minimum I would expect.

There isn't much information about this problem on the web, so I gave up on the thought of restoring my backup and built up my phone from scratch. Needless to say, I am using a 3x3 pattern now... Fortunately contacts and calendar have their own storage so the most important data (for me) is still safe.
    Issue

I created an issue in the LineageOS issue tracker: https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/issues/937.
    This makes me cry. No warning anywhere. All that stuff gone now. Thought I was being a good boy by making a backup. Nope, screwed anyway. So many hours lost.