• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Restore from Google Backup

Search This thread

apd

Dec 8, 2006
London
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Apologies if this has been answered already - I've searched and not found an answer.

I've just received my China version; having installed Google Play, is there any way to force a restore of a Google backup of my previous phone - it would be so much easier if it could (re)install my apps and settings in one go. I can't seem to find a way to do it.

Thanks

jericho246

Dec 19, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think restoring from Google backups is only possible during the initial configuration. And China ROM doesn't have Google Play 'out of the box', it needs to be installed by the user. So I'm afraid it's not possible. But again, I could be wrong.
I would recommend unlocking the bootloader and flashing either the Global ROM or Xiaomi.EU. Preferably Xiaomi.EU because Global ROM is significantly behind with updates.

RoughNeck1971

Feb 26, 2013
Hamburg
I couldn't test it but if you have installed google playstore and the google app basic android should be available. Then you can "restart" the inital setup via adb command:
adb shell am start -n com.google.android.setupwizard/.SetupWizardActivity
That should run the google setupwizard. I can't try it as I have already .eu rom on my phone installed and there it is available from scratch.

Reactions: apd

apd

Dec 8, 2006
London
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I couldn't test it but if you have installed google playstore and the google app basic android should be available. Then you can "restart" the inital setup via adb command:
That should run the google setupwizard. I can't try it as I have already .eu rom on my phone installed and there it is available from scratch.
Brilliant, thank you. I will try that this evening, after I've got through the debloating

apd

Dec 8, 2006
London
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I keep fingers crossed. I hope it works out.
As it happens I just tried it and got an error message:

Starting: Intent { cmp=com.google.android.setupwizard/.SetupWizardActivity }
Error type 3
Error: Activity class {com.google.android.setupwizard/com.google.android.setupwizard.SetupWizardActivity} does not exist.

If that means anything to you and if there's an easy answer, I'd be grateful for the help. If not, don't worry

RoughNeck1971

Feb 26, 2013
Hamburg
Ah - this is what I was afraid off. With installing google playstore the google setup is still missing. You could try the Android Setup Wizard from Google from APK mirror. This should install the missing files. But I really can't confirm that this will work. In worst case you need to do a factory reset. Or you just install the .eu rom and all problems gone :).

apd

Dec 8, 2006
London
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Ah - this is what I was afraid off. With installing google playstore the google setup is still missing. You could try the Android Setup Wizard from Google from APK mirror. This should install the missing files. But I really can't confirm that this will work. In worst case you need to do a factory reset. Or you just install the .eu rom and all problems gone :).
That got a bit further - i got this output:

But then nothing else happened!

RoughNeck1971

Feb 26, 2013
Hamburg

Damn. So it is missing something more. Then I'm out of options to be honest. Maybe someone else has an additional idea how to get around that. Or you really think about switiching to .eu rom. Sorry.

apd

Dec 8, 2006
London
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
use Xiaomi's mi mover app on the play store and you install it on both the previous phone and the new one, it will move everything over for you. I have been using the built-in migration app for all my phones, and they work just as well as google backup
Thanks very much - that is the solution. I had tried to use Mi Mover before using Google backup/restore but it kept failing.

The trick was – as you say – to install a fresh version from the Google play store and not to use the version which was already installed on the phone from the xiaomi App Store.

Once I did that, it worked a treat!!

Reactions: RoughNeck1971

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    use Xiaomi's mi mover app on the play store and you install it on both the previous phone and the new one, it will move everything over for you. I have been using the built-in migration app for all my phones, and they work just as well as google backup
    Brilliant, thank you. I will try that this evening, after I've got through the debloating
    I keep fingers crossed. I hope it works out.

Damn. So it is missing something more. Then I'm out of options to be honest. Maybe someone else has an additional idea how to get around that. Or you really think about switiching to .eu rom. Sorry.