Restore from nandroid for Windows user (HTC Magic HK version)

Search This thread

toneytse

Oct 11, 2008
Tools
1. Flash Tools for HTC Magic (inculed USB driver, Fastboot.exe, nandroid img) HTC_G2_TOOL.rar http://www.hiapk.com/bbs/download.p...e825b983cad5661d08bef017c59522a12d38ed3f63b09
2. SDK Tools AdbWin.zip (adb for Windows)
3. SPL HBOOT Rom http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=529019
4. USB Cable

How to check your SPL Version
1. Power off your phone
2. Push “Back” + “Power” about 5s (**After that you should see three androids on skateboards)
3. Check your version and go here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=529019) download a downgrade version. (In my case, I will download Modded HBOOT-1.33.2004)

My HTC Magic SPL info:
SAPPHIRE PVT 32A SHIP S-ON H
HBOOT-1.33.0009 (SAPP10000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-3.22.20.17
May 8 2009,21:02:32

How to go Recovery model:
1. Put the files Adb and AdbWinApi.dll from AdWin.zip into C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder on your PC. Substitute the correct drive letter if windows is not installed on you C: drive
2. Put the Windows Fastboot.exe into the C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder on your PC
3. Create a folder on the C: drive of your PC called android. The path should be C:\Android and unzip HTC_G2_TOOL.zip into C:\Android.
4. Unplug the USB cord and power off your phone
5. Power up your phone by holding “Black” + “Power” , you should see three androids on skateboards.
6. Plug the USB cord back into your phone. The screen on your phone should say fastboot.
7. Make sure your pc is using the correct driver. Open the device manager on your pc. It is helpfull to have all other USB storage devices besides your phone unplugged for this part. Look for a USB Mass Storage device in the list of the USB devices. Right click on it and update the driver. Pick the option to browse for a driver on your pc. The driver is located in HTC_G2_TOOL.rar.
8. Press start, go to run and type cmd (If you are on Vista just type cmd in the search box and hit enter). The command prompt will pop up.
9. Type cd C:\android
10. then enter the following command C:\android > fastboot boot recovery.img
11. Your phone should now be reboot and booting in Recovery model

How to Backup your Rom:
1. After booting into recovery model
2. select [Alt+B] – Nandroid Backup 2.1
3. After few minutes all backup file will save in your SD card

How to restore from your backup file
1. Download one of the above signed SPL updates and rename it to update.zip
2. Copy update.zip to the root of your SD-card
3. Copy the Nandroid backup files data.img, system.img, and boot.img from your SD card to the folder C:\Android.
4. booting your Magic into recovery model
5. select [Alt + S] – Apply sdcard:update.zip
6. select [Home + Back] – reboot system now
7. After reboot it will update upgrade/downgrade your SPL version, then power off your Magic again
8. Push “Back” + “Power” to HBOOT model
9. double check your SPL version is upgrate/downgrate
10. Plug the USB cord back into your phone. The screen on your phone should say fastboot.
12. Press start, go to run and type cmd (If you are on Vista just type cmd in the search box and hit enter). The command prompt will pop up.
13. Type cd C:\android
11. then enter the following commands C:\android >
fastboot erase system -w
fastboot erase boot
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot
12. After reboot your Magic, it need about 2-5 min to restore
13. then a band new original Android 1.5 is restored

Remark:
**Please make sure your battery got enough power (Suggestion: more than 50%)

Attachments

• AdbWin.zip
    643.7 KB · Views: 1,440

rayg256

Jun 26, 2009
Hi there toneytse!
I have the exact same SPL/Hardware. The guide is extremely useful therefore, as it eliminated any doubt I had about the procedure, so thank you for that. I need a small clarification, though, if you care to oblige.

In order for the warranty to be valid no "tampering" must be evident, so if at some point I need to return the device for repair I will need to be able to replace the SPL (as well as the Nandroid backup) to the original ones.

How can I be sure that the provided signed SPLs are exactly-bit wise identical to the original one? Is there a way to back my own SPL (in case it is slightly different) instead of using one the signed provided ones? Or shouldn't I worry since all the SPLs with identical specs are actually identical?

Cheers

toneytse

Oct 11, 2008
Hi there toneytse!
I have the exact same SPL/Hardware. The guide is extremely useful therefore, as it eliminated any doubt I had about the procedure, so thank you for that. I need a small clarification, though, if you care to oblige.

In order for the warranty to be valid no "tampering" must be evident, so if at some point I need to return the device for repair I will need to be able to replace the SPL (as well as the Nandroid backup) to the original ones.

How can I be sure that the provided signed SPLs are exactly-bit wise identical to the original one? Is there a way to back my own SPL (in case it is slightly different) instead of using one the signed provided ones? Or shouldn't I worry since all the SPLs with identical specs are actually identical?

Cheers

I suggest you find the same version SPL in here(http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=529019)
In my case, i can use SHIPMENT SPL HBOOT-1.33.0009H Signed update.zip to upgrade back to same SPL version, but i am not sure repair center will check it or not. So take your risk when you hacking in other Rom.:)

cocaice2009

Jun 30, 2009
Hi Toneytse, i'm a little bit confused by the following description from you:

3. Check your version and go here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=529019) download a downgrade version. (In my case, I will download Modded HBOOT-1.33.2004)

I have exactly the same version of SPL with you, and i found our version is listed there http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=529019 which is HBOOT-1.33.0009 (SAPP10000), why you use HBOOT-1.33.2004 instead of HBOOT-1.33.0009 is it a must to use that version? i thought all the SPLs listed there are all MODIFIED?

cocaice2009

Jun 30, 2009
after i selected [Alt+B] to backup, got the following errors:

can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0....
can't mount sdcard

update:
after got these errors listed above, i selected [Alt+B] again, it works!

Last edited:

michaelksw

Sep 10, 2007
thanks you ar.... i can backup and restore my rom....
one more think want to know, how can i root my magic(HK)???

jfive74

Apr 15, 2008
when i type the command - fastboot erase system -w, i get waiting for device. whats wrong?

jfive74

Apr 15, 2008
question. must i change my spl no matter what to be able to use nandroid backups?

jfive74

Apr 15, 2008
do you think its possible to swap the nandroid backup data.img from daldroids rom that i have with the nandroid backup data.img from rogers rom and then flash to device? just because i find the daldroid rom not really customised for rogers 7.2mbps data connection. i could be wrong. Please advise. Thanks.

xd4d3v

Jun 18, 2009
I'm getting an errorm while trying to restore. any ideas? see below.

D:\android\tools>fastboot flash system system.img
sending 'system' (73515 KB)... OKAY
writing 'system'... INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)

D:\android\tools>fastboot erase system -w
erasing 'system'... OKAY
erasing 'userdata'... OKAY
erasing 'cache'... OKAY

D:\android\tools>fastboot erase boot
erasing 'boot'... OKAY

D:\android\tools>

toneytse

Oct 11, 2008
I'm getting an errorm while trying to restore. any ideas? see below.

D:\android\tools>fastboot erase system -w
erasing 'system'... OKAY
erasing 'userdata'... OKAY
erasing 'cache'... OKAY

D:\android\tools>fastboot erase boot
erasing 'boot'... OKAY

D:\android\tools>

You need to upgrade your SPL first~~
download here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=529019

hknucks517

Jul 1, 2009
Thanks toneytse,

Thanks for the detail instruction, I have successfully backup my ROM. I have one question about the SPL. The shipment one 1.33.0009 while the modded one is 1.33.2004/2005. Does it mean 1.33.2004 is newer, or it is just the same thing just that it is modded to make flashing possible?

terryf

Mar 19, 2007
Hello! If i backup my rom , will it included the software which downloaded from market?

thanks