• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Restore H918 to 100% Stock (!!REQUIRES TWRP!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Vuciz

Aug 26, 2012
Terre Haute
Hey guys, I had my V20 rooted, then after a while, I returned to stock. Upon telling a buddy of mine this, he was wondering how I did it, and sure enough my method didn't seem to be known that much. So here's a guide to restore the T-Mobile V20 (H918) to 100% stock.

First off thanks goes to cbucz24 for extracting the TOT into IMGs. Also, thanks to meraz9000 for making that possible.

Ok, first off there is one draw back. You MUST have access to TWRP, or the ability to install TWRP. First you want to download the system, boot, and recovery images. I pulled them from the IMG zip mentioned above and zipped just those three. You can download it here.

Secondly, unzip those onto SD card, or internal storage if you don't have one.
Boot into TWRP. Easiest way is to use ADB "reboot recovery". If you can't do that, hold volume down and power button, and when you see the LG logo, release the power button for about a second, then continue pressing it. Say yes to both prompts and you'll get into TWRP.

Next BACK UP /SYSTEM! This is very important. Whenever you make a change to anything, make a system backup. DO NOT SKIP THIS.

Next, go to Install and in the lower right tap images. Find system.img and choose that, and choose system image. Install boot.img onto boot. Now reboot to system. If it boots properly, go back to recovery and flash recovery.img to recovery. When those are done, reboot to bootloader, and relock the bootloader (for SafetyNet).

You're done!

If you have any questions, just ask.

Please use LGUP and the KDZ file to restore from now on. It is a much reliable way.

Last edited:

netgar

Jan 14, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hey guys, I had my V20 rooted, then after a while, I returned to stock. Upon telling a buddy of mine this, he was wondering how I did it, and sure enough my method didn't seem to be known that much. So here's a guide to restore the T-Mobile V20 (H918) to 100% stock.

First off thanks goes to cbucz24 for extracting the TOT into IMGs. Also, thanks to meraz9000 for making that possible.

Ok, first off there is one draw back. You MUST have access to TWRP, or the ability to install TWRP. First you want to download the system, boot, and recovery images. I pulled them from the IMG zip mentioned above and zipped just those three. You can download it here.

Boot into TWRP. Easiest way is to use ADB "reboot recovery". If you can't do that, hold volume down and power button, and when you see the LG logo, release the power button for about a second, then continue pressing it. Say yes to both prompts and you'll get into TWRP.

Next BACK UP /SYSTEM! This is very important. Whenever you make a change to anything, make a system backup. DO NOT SKIP THIS.

Next, go to Install and in the lower right tap images. Find system.img and choose that, and choose system image. Install boot.img onto boot, and recovery.img to recovery. When those are done, reboot to bootloader, and relock the bootloader (for SafetyNet).

You're done!

Vuciz, so basically you flash system, boot, and recovery images in twrp one after the other, reboot to bootloader and relock the bootloader? Or you reboot after each flash?
What do u mean by relocking the bootloader?

Thank u so much for your help

Reactions: samywilsonh

Vuciz

Aug 26, 2012
Terre Haute
Only reboot to the bootloader after everything is flashed.

Once back in the bootloader, connect your phone to a computer and run the command "fastboot oem lock". Make sure you have ADB and fastboot installed.

Reactions: netgar

VegaMaddroxx

Feb 12, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Quick question, after i choose the system.img do I just swipe to flash from there and not select a partition? Thanks.
I went ahead and swipe to flash but it wont says to select partition but my only options are boot and recovery?

Last edited:

Zacharee1

Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Sweet. Last question, TWRP stays in correct? I am trying to get stock recovery but I am not sure if I can do that! I know we don't have the proper flash tool yet to do that, but was wondering if anyone here was able to achieve that!
The OP describes flashing recovery.img, so I'm thinking it probably restores after a reboot.

dynamikz

Jul 1, 2006
I'm fairly sure that TWRP is overwritten when you flash the recovery.img partition with the stock recovery.img. I didn't try to access TWRP following my return to stock efforts as I was going to warranty repair my V20 due to the blown speaker issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zoandroid

Perion

Dec 4, 2007
Fort Worth
Sweet. Last question, TWRP stays in correct? I am trying to get stock recovery but I am not sure if I can do that! I know we don't have the proper flash tool yet to do that, but was wondering if anyone here was able to achieve that!

Do be very careful with this, I've found from experience that there is no going back from stock recovery if the system won't boot until there is an LGUP dll or equivalent. TWRP is your safety net in regards to everything else going on in development right now, but if you flash the stock recovery and the system decides not to boot, you'll have a paperweight until development catches up. The stock recovery is very limited (VERY, about all you seem to be able to do is factory reset, which likely only wipes the data partition from the speed that it goes through), and fastboot flashing and partition management have been disabled in the v20.

Reactions: jreed3786

Nitemare3219

Nov 24, 2010
Yeah... what the hell is the point of backing up SYSTEM if you also are flashing the RECOVERY? You won't be able to save yourself even if something does go wrong. Leave TWRP on until the system boots properly. Then go back into TWRP and flash the stock recovery.

Vuciz

Aug 26, 2012
Terre Haute
Yeah... what the hell is the point of backing up SYSTEM if you also are flashing the RECOVERY? You won't be able to save yourself even if something does go wrong. Leave TWRP on until the system boots properly. Then go back into TWRP and flash the stock recovery.

That's my fault. I thought I mentioned to boot into system fully before flashing the recovery. I'll edit OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Next, go to Install and in the lower right tap images. Find system.img and choose that, and choose system image. Install boot.img onto boot. Now reboot to system. If it boots properly, go back to recovery and flash recovery.img to recovery. When those are done, reboot to bootloader, and relock the bootloader (for SafetyNet).

You're done!

Please use LGUP and the KDZ file to restore from now on. It is a much reliable way.
    Make sure when attempting this you boot to system before flashing stock recovery, to make sure it boots properly, otherwise you'll have a problem. If it boots properly, you should be able to flash stock recovery from TWRP, and then reboot to bootloader and lock the bootloader, which should trigger a factory reset, re-enabling default encryption and stock status. Basically, make sure all is good to go before you get rid of TWRP, because you will need that if anything goes wrong.

Next, go to Install and in the lower right tap images. Find system.img and choose that, and choose system image. Install boot.img onto boot, and recovery.img to recovery. When those are done, reboot to bootloader, and relock the bootloader (for SafetyNet).

You're done!

Vuciz, so basically you flash system, boot, and recovery images in twrp one after the other, reboot to bootloader and relock the bootloader? Or you reboot after each flash?
    What do u mean by relocking the bootloader?

Thank u so much for your help
    Only reboot to the bootloader after everything is flashed.

Once back in the bootloader, connect your phone to a computer and run the command "fastboot oem lock". Make sure you have ADB and fastboot installed.
    Tried to download the files in the OP but got 404 error, where else can I find the files needed? Thanks

I removed the files for two reasons:

1) There is a 100% better and foolproof way.
    2) Some people had issues with this.

I'll change the OP, and request a lock.