Restore v20 to 100% Stock (!!even for bricked devices!!)

Search This thread

Dorasamu

Apr 26, 2016

mgzavala

Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, confirmed works.
Downgraded Oreo to Nougat on US996.

Just did a downgrade from Oreo to Nougat without relocking bootloader.
Still unlocked after flash.

How did u do it, did u use a kdz file, cause I get an error: upgrade failed to install when I tried to do it ota. Also I was trying to go back to stock because for some reason I have no cell radio, so I have no phone & data signal, & I was hoping if I went full stock the I can maybe get it to work again

jax0rz

Feb 5, 2019
How did u do it, did u use a kdz file, cause I get an error: upgrade failed to install when I tried to do it ota. Also I was trying to go back to stock because for some reason I have no cell radio, so I have no phone & data signal, & I was hoping if I went full stock the I can maybe get it to work again

honestly, the Oreo update took some of the functionality out of the phone (custom vibrate, auto battery saver at 15%, smart location is buggy, and some other ones i can't remember right now). i'm not sure if your lack of radio signals is software related.. if you are somewhat hands-on you could look into replacing the antennas (there is one at the top and one at the bottom of the phone; the phone is extremely easy to disassemble and a tutorial is easily available on youtube)

CheeseMaster!

Mar 7, 2019
Need some experienced advice on what to do..

I'm having the FRP bypass problem. My stepson factory reset my phone and now I can't set up the new phone. I have all my receipts and verification but I've been overseas so google forgot my phone number when I try to find my account through their recovery process, so after going to Verizon (VS995) they got me in touch with google, and now google says I have to send the phone back to LG to have them flash it. If I can do it my self using a simple step by step process like the instructions posted here.

Will this work?

Thank you

Chyt

Jul 13, 2014
Hi guys,

I need to downgrade my V20 H990DS from oreo to N (sec. upgrade before 2016 dec 31) to get rooted.
Got a kdz for the region from lgfirmwares.blabla.com, downloaded, lgup, dll and stuff installed (well, get the right dll wasn't easy), phone recognized.
But LGUP stucks at 4% (pretty immediately) saying: 0xD AtCmd TxRx Error
I found nowhere anything about this error message. Could you enlighten me please...?
Thanks in advance!

ishb3w

Mar 28, 2008
Alright, so I tried to root my v20 but didn't know I was supposed to remove the google account before wiping, and now im stuck at the frp lock. I tried LGUP downgrading and upgrading and im back on 20c like it was before, but i still can't login. On my google account i removed the phone from my devices, but that didn't help. Should I just send my phone to LG? I bought an S10, so it wouldn't bother me to be without it.

it'sup

Sep 14, 2015
Works's like a charm from Oreo Firmware 91820G back to Nougut 91810P and I might mention not to root or Grind your phones for root fisrt or it probably won't work and you'll be stuck in the same process constantly over and over

pointbob

Mar 30, 2012
I have lg v20 LS997ZVD sprint flavor. This is zv8 and as such cannot be unlocked by hiddenmenucall.apk

Can someone tell me if i can root it and get it back to zv7? much appreciated..thanks

Last edited:

kbhuvi

May 2, 2014
I have H990DS currently on 8.0 firmware. I want to downgrade to pre Dec 2016 so as to root the device. LG firmware site does not show any such version for India. Can anyone point to the firmware that would work for me

Regards

N4sha

Apr 9, 2020
Hi guys .
i have lg v20 f800s model and i rooted my phone with f800l rom and then flash vs995 weta rom android 7 version.now that i want flash the official f800s android 9 rom with lgup I get an error invalid KDZ file vs995>>>>f800s please help me.tnx

Worschtebrot

Aug 25, 2018
How do i know what kdz i have to download.
On the H990 DS Package is a ARE, so i guess its an Arab Emirates Version.
But what kdz do i have to download?

justcosmic

Dec 27, 2007
Hi guys .
i have lg v20 f800s model and i rooted my phone with f800l rom and then flash vs995 weta rom android 7 version.now that i want flash the official f800s android 9 rom with lgup I get an error invalid KDZ file vs995>>>>f800s please help me.tnx

I have the F800S too and can't boot into bootloader. I was wondering about flashing F800L KDZ as I saw that F800L owners seemed to be able to unlock bootloader.
So was thinking of doing this and then have seen successful LOS installs on another thread (unofficial LOS 18 working pretty well!)

Anyway - can you confirm if flashing 800L rom should work ?

Well I just tried - LGUP won't let me install full 800L ROM on my 800S so I tried just in Partition DL - but still won't boot to bootloader...

Would love to know how you managed to get 800L ROM installed on 800S and if that made fastboot available

I've since read that you have to first install F800L official, then use Dirty Santa to unlock bootloader and root - is that correct ?

Last edited:

DaVinniCode

Sep 9, 2017
Honolulu
I have the F800S too and can't boot into bootloader. I was wondering about flashing F800L KDZ as I saw that F800L owners seemed to be able to unlock bootloader.
So was thinking of doing this and then have seen successful LOS installs on another thread (unofficial LOS 18 working pretty well!)

Anyway - can you confirm if flashing 800L rom should work ?

Well I just tried - LGUP won't let me install full 800L ROM on my 800S so I tried just in Partition DL - but still won't boot to bootloader...

Would love to know how you managed to get 800L ROM installed on 800S and if that made fastboot available

I've since read that you have to first install F800L official, then use Dirty Santa to unlock bootloader and root - is that correct ?

I'm dealing with a similar issue. I even installed the full H915 kdz on my H910 which made it functional again, but no fastboot mode now...
Initially i couldn't install the full kdz with LGUP due to the version mismatch, but used 'partition DL' and got it running again, after that it was branded H915, so then i could flash the full kdz using 'refurbish' in LGUP, but yeah, still no fastboot available.

justcosmic

Dec 27, 2007
I'm dealing with a similar issue. I even installed the full H915 kdz on my H910 which made it functional again, but no fastboot mode now...
Initially i couldn't install the full kdz with LGUP due to the version mismatch, but used 'partition DL' and got it running again, after that it was branded H915, so then i could flash the full kdz using 'refurbish' in LGUP, but yeah, still no fastboot available.
I eventually managed - but it was a long series of several process' and I have read that it is different for 910/915. I hacked together parts of various guides - the closest of which was for F800L. Finally managed to succeed with unlock bootloader and root - using highly adapted dirty santa method.
Check threads on dirty santa for your specific device is the best advice I could give. People are managing to do it so it's possible for sure.

Reactions: DaVinniCode

Mandown

Jun 12, 2010
Denver
Not sure if it has been said but to help anyone else in my situation. First thing is I decided to flash lineageOS 17.1 from alpha omega ROM, Clean install. Well that was my first mistake because LineageOS sucks at telling you about why you cant just do that and need to downgrade to nougat then to 15.1 or 16 cant remember then 17.1 otherwise the fingerprint sensor and camera/light will break on top of certain apps fail to work like youtube. Restored back to A-O and fingerprint works but the apps still break and camera breaks. Then I LGUP and downgrade back to 13a firmware, problem was settings on boot forever crashes so could not setup phone. After re-re-re flashing 13a KDZ with no fix, I for the heck of it flashed 20c and BOOM everything works again! Then I retried the 13a firmware and once again, WORKS!

Hopefully helps some people, seems a big issue moving to lineageOS and not knowing to downgrade to nougat and incrementally upgrading to the later versions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a simple method to restore your v20 to stock, I have tried with my bricked H990DS with wrong bootloader flashed.

1. Download .kdz file for your v20 model from the following links. Currently v20 models available are:
    F800K, F800L, F800S, H915, H918TN, H990, VS995, H990N and H990DS
    H990DS https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-h990ds-firmwares/firmwares/
    H990N https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-h990n-firmwares/firmwares/
    https://lg-firmwares.com/

2. Search, download and install LGUP ( LGUP_Store_Frame_Ver_1_14_3.msi ) and a file called LGUP_common.dll

2a. Copy the LGUP_common.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common (May need to modify folder access right)

3. Search, download and install LG Driver ( LGMobileDriver_WHQL_Ver_4.1.1.exe )

4. Completely Power off the v20 ( or to remove and put the battery back )

5. Plug the USB end of sync cable to your PC

6. Press and hold "Volume Up"

7. Plug in the USB-C end of sync cable to the v20. The phone will enter download mode (or Firmware Update). Now you can release the "Volume Up".

8. Run LGUP. The program will regconise the v20.

9. At the file path, click "..." and chose the .kdz file

10.Choose "UPGRADE"

11.Click "Start" and wait until the process is complete.

Now we have a safe method of restoring bricked v20. Hope developers can start trying to root without worrying of bricking the phone. :)

This method is verified on my H990DS. If anybody successfully flash using this method please let us know. Thanks!
    search XDA for uppercut, you will likely get a virus warning when running it but it seems safe enough.
    or make a folder called common in C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model.
    you will need a model specific dll file in there. if it works i have attached mine otherwise you can extract the .KDZ with WindowsLGFirmwareExtract-1.2.5.0-Release-1 and it will provide a LGUPc.dll, rename to LGUP_Common.dll and place in C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common\

How do I fix the error of LGUP cant find the model in com folder? I cant find anything on google
    so works perfectly. just managed to restore my phone(H990DS TW) after being out of action for a few weeks.
    my issue was using the supplied USB cable in a USB 3.0 port. i switched to an older cable using the micro -> USB type c connector i got with galaxy note 7. this worked straight away for update. i then ran in to issue where phone would boot into system restore mode 2 on blue screen. i tried LG Bridge at this stage, it picked up the update required but refused to download it. flashed again with LGUP and away i went.

I broke my phone real by following https://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/development/ls997vs995h910-dirtysanta-bootloader-t3519410 and then restoring aboot.img and boot.img with no system backup and rom from other model flashed.
    it would boot download mode and fastboot but nothing else. manaaged to kill recovery.
    but i am back up and running now.

a note for anyone searching. the KDZ files available for H990DS cant be used for refurbished from LGUP. the LG extract tools to CAB will get you that far but you will not be able to open .cab with rar or zip, they no longer seem to work.
    use WindowsLGFirmwareExtract-1.2.5.0-Release-1 to extract the KDZ files, you can get .DZ and DLL and the DZ can be extracted further with this tool to get shystem\recover\etc.
    cheers and happy new year

don't close it off, if it worked for you it should work for others that haven't broken the phone quite as much as me (boot, recovery, aboot and system changed).

the dll looks to be a requirement, perhaps uppercut worked for you prior to you AV killing it. i used it despite the AV alert.
    so that part works fine, my phone is detected as version US99610d (files used during root attempt) which prevents me running the KDZ with "Error: KDZ file is invalid. US996 -> H990"
    i tried to edit KDZ file to change version from H990 to US996 but this just corrupted the file.
    i edited the model in build.prop of a rom and flashed it but it failed to make a difference to LGUP.
    in a last ditch effort i restored aboot.img but phone is still detected as 996 instead of 990. but now no more twrp or unlocked bootloader.

any idea what LGUP reads the version info from or how to force it to run a KDZ from a different model?
    Thanks, just worked for me on tmobile. Had to extract the DLL from the kmz.

Here is the DLL for H918. Place the common folder in Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\models.

www[dot]mediafire[dot]com/file/ld89608muhi6me1/common.zip
    Darn. Got my hopes up. No VS995 in the list. No T-Mobile and no Sprint either. I don't need it....yet...but I would love to have a restore method for my VS995. Though I've had an LG G3 rooted and flashing custom roms, kernels, and mods for 30 months and never once restored it to stock so perhaps the V20 will be the same :D