restore with nvflash in apx mode?

Search This thread

deeproot

Jan 27, 2009
New Orleans, LA
Unless you're playing around with custom bootloader code, in theory you don't need nvflash, because the bootloader can be unlocked and you can use fastboot to do all your flashing.

In practice it doesn't work out that way 100% of the time, but nvflash isn't a Google feature, it's an nvidia feature for their SoCs. Nice to have if it was working, but not a tool which should be relied upon to be available,

I understand it but when IDIOTS manually delete the bootloader they need to blame someone....this is where the arrow up key for history and babies yelling at you do not help.

It was my fault....good thing it was just a broken screen one I bought on ebay for like $50

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
It was my fault....good thing it was just a broken screen one I bought on ebay for like $50

What do you want to do with it at this point?

You could start by hand-reassembly of the Tegra30 Miniloader bin-blob.

That should only take a few hundred hours before you can tell if that gets close to the right neighborhood - or if is an idea that is on the wrong continent. :D :D :D

[Edit] ---------------------------------------------------------

Will it go into APX mode? That is, do you see a device @ USB\VID_0955&PID_7330&REV_0103 or similar on the USB?

If so, I'll take it off of you for the shipping costs - UPS Ground. :D :D

Last edited:

deeproot

Jan 27, 2009
New Orleans, LA
What do you want to do with it at this point?

You could start by hand-reassembly of the Tegra30 Miniloader bin-blob.

That should only take a few hundred hours before you can tell if that gets close to the right neighborhood - or if is an idea that is on the wrong continent. :D :D :D

[Edit] ---------------------------------------------------------

Will it go into APX mode? That is, do you see a device @ USB\VID_0955&PID_7330&REV_0103 or similar on the USB?

If so, I'll take it off of you for the shipping costs - UPS Ground. :D :D

Yeah Im stuck in APX mode, got the nvidia drivers installed and its ready for a working nvflash config/command.

Maybe one day.

benbalag

Sep 18, 2012
Kecskemét
Hi. My Nexus 7 struck in APX mode. I can't use the nvflash command then my bootloader is locked. Can I unlock the bootloader in APX mode ?

Last edited:

t1.8matt

Jan 22, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA.
doesn't just fastbooting the whole factory image wipe out and reload everything on the N7, just like a Gnex? I used NVflash for my tf101 which was easy, but the N7 is meant to be flashed in fastboot mode or recovery, not APX. i have yet to see anything on this site or any other where the N7 is fixed in APX mode. to benbalag, you can't get into fastboot mode from the key press combo?

Milamber33

Dec 22, 2011
Sydney
doesn't just fastbooting the whole factory image wipe out and reload everything on the N7, just like a Gnex? I used NVflash for my tf101 which was easy, but the N7 is meant to be flashed in fastboot mode or recovery, not APX. i have yet to see anything on this site or any other where the N7 is fixed in APX mode. to benbalag, you can't get into fastboot mode from the key press combo?
Yes, flashing in Fastboot does act just like the GNex, but the one thing that APX mode would help with - if it worked - would be to recover from a corrupted bootloader. Right now that would cause a bricked device, since if the bootloader's corrupted you can't even get into fastboot mode. An extremely rare event, but not completely unheard of.

K3lthuzad

Apr 22, 2011
Pretty sure it was made for anything with a Tegra chipset.

Anyway, mine's dead, I'll try RMA it sometime soon. I erased bootloader before flashing 4.18, but I guess it didn't write properly. :/ I'll keep pressing the power button, and hold on to the hope that my baby will come back to life.

Milamber33

Dec 22, 2011
Sydney
I dunno, I thought NV Flash was only meant for the transformer line of tablets, nothing else.
I gather it's a feature of the Tegra SoC, which is used by a fair few devices. So theoretically it should work, but in practice the communication has to be encrypted and we don't have the right keys. That's my understanding anyway.

beanfarmer

Jul 31, 2009
Caerphilly South Wales
so is anyone working on this at all or?

my n7 32gb decided to brick itself it wont let me out of apx mode even with the button combos, i am RMAing the thing but its just waiting on Asus now really.

yugurtungue

Jan 26, 2009
My N7 wifi 32gb also decided to brick itself.
I have tried all button combinations, unplugging battery, connecting USB, with no luck.
I have open an ASUS RMA, they tell me to let my N7 unplugged for 48 hours, then plugged for 12 hours... then try powering it up.

I am very angry.

androidfr33k

Sep 29, 2012
Not the usual way but I see 4 pins on the side. I wonder if they are TTL connections and if so one can use hardware like a bus pirate to boot into it and possibly fix it that way no? I have bricked my router in that past and JTAG fix using a USB to TTL connection. In that regard would you still run into the same problem that nvflash in apx mode has?

How about trying to boot from an OTG cable to a boot able flash drive? Then copy the image/partition(s) over to the nexus 7 internal flash or would there still be that issue as with the nvflash in apx mode?

I am going to try these two methods just to see but I suppose I will have to brick it purposely to see if I can get at least the Bus Pirate method to work. I already know the Bus Pirate does connect to the Nexus 7 through the OTG cable.

Take a look at this link. Someone has already made connections to the Nexus 7 with a Bus Pirate:

http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5020

EDITED:

Nexus 7 will not boot to a bootable flash drive with the OTG cable. Still working on the Bus Pirate way.

Last edited:

bigdog_nick

Jun 19, 2010
Orange County
I just encountered this problem with my 32gb n7 :(

Sad stuff really, I was running multiboot and all the good stuff. One of the roms froze on me, so I held the power button for 15ish seconds... it restarted and as it was loading, it got to the lockscreen and turned off... and hasn't turned on since.

I'm in Apx mode on my computer and not sure what i'm doing :\

Read this whole thread and seems like my best choice is to contact Asus...well, ****!

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010

I don't know if APX mode "times out" or will just sit there until the battery is completely drained, but on a normally-operating tablet, if you hold the power button down for about 15-17 seconds while it is in APX mode, the tablet should do a power reset.

Actually, if you leave the tablet plugged into the PC, the APX USB link will go down after about 13 seconds (but the screen will still be dark), and then the boot loader splash screen will show up 3-4 seconds later.

So, even if you've already tried it, give it another shot: hold the power button down continuously and be ready to press the vol-down button the instant the splash screen appears.

good luck

bigdog_nick

Jun 19, 2010
Orange County
The power button by itself no long works. Only when It's plugged into the computer + volume key it reboots with dark screen. Only reason why i know it is on is because of APX.

I even took the back off and removed the battery. Maybe I'll remove the battery and let it sit disconnected for a while.

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
Are you sure the you have a charged battery? Looks to me, as if the battery power is too low, so it cannot start up. Even if the device is plugged in to power, the voltage is not sufficient to start the device. Did you let it charge for at least 1-2 hours before trying to start it again? I had a similar behaviour of my Nexus7 last year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

kieso

Mar 18, 2009
I just encountered this problem with my 32gb n7 :(

Sad stuff really, I was running multiboot and all the good stuff. One of the roms froze on me, so I held the power button for 15ish seconds... it restarted and as it was loading, it got to the lockscreen and turned off... and hasn't turned on since.

Read this whole thread and seems like my best choice is to contact Asus...well, ****!

Try what this guy did in this thread and let us know if it worked.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2244413

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You need the partitions for the 16gb or the 8gb version? I haven't done APX mode on the Nexus 7 but did on my old streak 7 and can probably pull off the files tomorrow (I have 16gb)
    If you want to try it on linux, grab the All-in-one package from here.

To get it to boot into APX mode i held all three buttons while plugging it in. To confirm it is in APX mode run lsusb and you'll see something like:
    Code:
    Bus 003 Device 005:[B] ID 0955:7330 NVidia Corp.[/B]

After that, assuming onilink67 can get the files, we can run something like:
    Code:
    ./nvflash --bct nexus7.bct --setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile nexus7.cfg --create --go
    And it may restore the bootloader.

hopefully on onilink67 can supply some better info since he already has experience with APX :)

Information taken from slatedroid.com, androidroot.mobi and androidroot.mobi
    OP and onilink would the files and partitions frim the 16gb be the same or would i need someone with a working 8gb to pull them for me?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

normally you want the one from your device since this actually copies partitions some will be different on the 8gb model
    So last time I used APX mode I had a bct file provided to me. IIRC if tegra 2 didn't like the bct file it would refuse to do anything so for the sake of my nexus I hope Tegra 3 is the same. I'm going to research this a little more and hopefully can get something to you guys soon. FYI these files are normally huge
    Great, now you need to download a couple of things in your Linux partition. Note these only work in a native installation of Linux. If you haven't got one, install Ubuntu 12.04 via a wubi installation.

Linux for Tegra: Go to this page and download the cardhu driver package.

Factory image: go to this page and download the Nexus 7 factory image.

Extract everything, and put the bootloader-grouper-3.34.img in the bootloader folder on Linux for Tegra, the same folder as nvflash.

Once that's done, navigate to the nvflash folder in Terminal, and run:
    Code:
    ./nvflash --getpartitiontable nexus7.txt --bl bootloader-grouper-3.34.img --go

If you get a permissions error, try:
    Code:
    sudo ./nvflash --getpartitiontable nexus7.txt --bl bootloader-grouper-3.34.img --go
    If it works we should get some information about the partition system of our Nexus 7 tablets downloaded to nexus7.txt in the nvflash folder. Paste the results here!