Restoring apps and file managers' permissions with Titanium Backup

Search This thread

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
Hey guys,

I finally have time to set up my Pixel 4 XL. I'm coming from a 2 XL (still on Pie) and backed up/restored my apps with Titanium Backup (which I've always done). Of course, both phones have a working root access.

Now I'm facing a huge problem on Android 10 on my 4 XL: no file manager works. They ask for storage permission at the bottom of the screen but it does nothing when I tap it. I checked in the settings and the permission is granted but the app won't scan my internal storage (it says access is denied).

I also have many apps that don't work and are asking to be reinstalled. Is this normal? What's going on here?? I'm already fed up with Android 10 tbh!

If anyone has had the same problems, please chime in!

Thanks.

Last edited:

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Hey guys,

I finally have time to set up my Pixel 4 XL. I'm coming from a 2 XL (still on Pie) and backed up/restored my apps with Titanium Backup (which I've always done). Of course, both phones have a working root access.
Now I'm facing a huge problem on Android 10 on my 4 XL: no file maneger works. They ask for storage permission at the bottom of the screen but it does nothing when I tap it. I checked in the settings and the permission is granted but the app won't scan my internal storage (it says access is denied).
I also have many apps that don't work and are asking to be reinstalled. Is this normal? What's going on here?? I'm already fed up with Android 10 tbh!
If anyone has had the same problems, please chime in!
Thanks.
I haven't had this problem and still use TiBu all the time. Normally I use Solid Explorer to create a single zip-file of my entire TiBu folder on the source phone. I use Root Explorer, too.

First of all, Google's backup has come a very long way and (IMO) it should always be allowed to completely finish restoring your phone. You didn't mention whether you used this option when you first fired up the P4XL, as the option only comes around one time. If you chose to setup from scratch (not using a very recent Google backup from your P2XL, opting instead to "shortcut" by using TiBu) this could be the issue. Wipe the phone, allow GB to do it's thing restoring not only your backup but also ALL of your Store apps. Everything. I even reboot and try to squeeze out a couple more updates from the Store. Then I extract my TiBu zip-file, re-creating the same TiBu folder I had on the source phone. Once the app has root and recognizes the backup folder, do a selective install for ONLY MISSING APPS (the first option). This way you don't inadvertently overwrite a system app, system settings or carry over something old from a previous OS version. At this time you may also want to de-select any old apps you haven't used or don't plan to use going forward, before you hit the restore button.

A pro-tip would be to backup your source phone launcher config in the cloud or offline before starting (I use Nova stored on GDrive). After GB and TiBu have restored everything, I use the Nova backup to restore all my shortcuts and widgets. This method is consistent and mostly error-free for me... YMMV. Best of luck and enjoy your new phone! :good:

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
Best of luck and enjoy your new phone! :good:
Yeah, I didn't choose the Google backup when I first turned on the P4XL (I don't have a cloud backup, I turned it off on my 2XL because I don't have much space left on my GDrive). I do back up my Nova home screen on my GDrive though.

I did use the "missing apps" setting in TiBu, as I know restoring system apps between different versions of Android is a big no-no. Several apps would FC after doing that though. I ended up reinstalling these from the Play Store (luckily, they weren't any "critical" apps for me). I exported settings for the ones that had the option from my P2XL and imported these on the P4XL. It was a long process but, in the end, everything seems to work now!

Thanks for your step by step guide, it might come in handy at some point :)