Retail Demo Mode - RDM

Search This thread
I was contacted by a user who discovered a 'secret code' that applies to the FireOS search bar (Unified Search). When you type it into the search bar, you enter retail demo mode.
Code:
;demo

There are several major problems with this once you enter it. One: you can't get out. You can resell the device when you're done, but one of two things happen: On the fire 7: it powers off your device, reboots it and erases it. Then it reboots...into a logo loop. Fire HD 10: When you resell, your screen is blocked by an amazon logo overlay. It just sits there. You can reboot and the overlay remains. You can't disable it through ADB on either of them it doesn't do you any good, because you stay in demo mode. I forgot to mention the countless demo apps it tries to download. This code also worked on the HD 8, but I didn't go past the splash screen. Only way out is a factory reset via recovery.

I got a screen cap of the debugging menu. There is an application version have never seen before. Is this the retail mode application version? If not, what is it? No the device is not registered.
Code:
1.1.906.0-tablet_424010
s6zuYNGh.png

lakitu47

May 10, 2017
I was contacted by a user who discovered a 'secret code' that applies to the FireOS search bar (Unified Search). When you type it into the search bar, you enter retail demo mode.
Code:
;demo

There are several major problems with this once you enter it. One: you can't get out. You can resell the device when you're done, but one of two things happen: On the fire 7: it powers off your device, reboots it and erases it. Then it reboots...into a logo loop. Fire HD 10: When you resell, your screen is blocked by an amazon logo overlay. It just sits there. You can reboot and the overlay remains. You can't disable it through ADB on either of them it doesn't do you any good, because you stay in demo mode. I forgot to mention the countless demo apps it tries to download. This code also worked on the HD 8, but I didn't go past the splash screen. Only way out is a factory reset via recovery.

I got a screen cap of the debugging menu. There is an application version have never seen before. Is this the retail mode application version? If not, what is it? No the device is not registered.
Code:
1.1.906.0-tablet_424010
s6zuYNGh.png
Yes I think it is the retail demo application (see attached)
In the secure settings table, there is a setting called retail_demo_mode. I once changed the value to 1. The tablet itself worked fine, but most of the settings were missing and all of the app icons on the home screen reset to alphabetical order. All I did to reverse this was go back into Settings Database Editor and change the value to 0. No problems after that, other than my neatly organized apps that got rearranged.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    ;demo

Code:
    1.1.906.0-tablet_424010
    s6zuYNGh.png
    Yes I think it is the retail demo application (see attached)
    In the secure settings table, there is a setting called retail_demo_mode. I once changed the value to 1. The tablet itself worked fine, but most of the settings were missing and all of the app icons on the home screen reset to alphabetical order. All I did to reverse this was go back into Settings Database Editor and change the value to 0. No problems after that, other than my neatly organized apps that got rearranged.