• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Returned my GW4 Classic after 2 weeks

Search This thread

sanjsrik

So, I received mine on September 1.

I just put in the return for today and will most likely send it back tomorrow.

Here are my reasons:

* Constant disconnects from sleep tracking
* Hit-or-miss notifications, they really just didn't work when synced from phone, GW3 never has this issue
* AWFUL, and I can't stress this enough, AWFUL battery life
* NO watchfaces
* Half Tizen/Half WearOS, neither one works
* How many of the actual features were dropped that were the point of buying this thing?
* Have I mentioned the just ridiculious battery life? Not even a full day with minimal usage
* Workouts just don't sync between the watch and the phone even though BOTH are samsung devices, sometimes, the workouts don't even start recording on the watch

After the watch ran down literally after 12.5 hours of use and then when I put it on the charger and the phone STILL read 84% charge while the watch showed 3%, I was done.

It's like they WANTED to kill this version of the watch and made something that just was totally frustrating to use and didn't work. They rushed this thing to market for whatever reason and did NOTHING to support it. It's literally half-finished in almost every way.

wilky76

Sep 6, 2021
There is plenty of bugs that need to be sorting out on the Watch 4, I'm also a bit disappointed with it though some of the issues you have with your's i don't have, like battery life which is pretty decent for me and i have everything on continuous monitoring.

I've put mine back in the box won't be selling just yet, I'm gonna give Samsung a chance to sort these bugs out first, in the meantime I've gone back to using my Active 2 44mm, which has been solid for me for the past couple of years i've had it.

I think Samsung decided or was force to ditch Tizen in favor of Watch OS because of the pressure from Apple with the Apple Watch ie app support being the main thing, something that was severely lacking on Tizen.

I personally didn't really care about having more apps as i never used any other than what came with the watch, fitness tracking and notifications was all i needed and the past, & Tizen watches did this without any issues, even Samsung pay I could use running my card though Curve as my Bank doesn't support Samsung Pay, but alas it is nice to have the useful google services now on a Samsung Watch.

Ultimately the Watch 4 44mm i have is better than my Active 2 in many ways ie google pay, google maps & hopefully google assistant at some point plus a few new health features, but atm it just not there stability wise to be used on a daily basis.

Feb 18, 2021
Hi

Coming from the Gear S3 Classic.

SLEEPTRACKING - Consistent with performance I got with the Gear S3. No disconnects.

NOTIFICATIONS - Not noticed any issues with this.

BATTERY - I am now getting two days (as opposed to about 2.5 days on the Gear S3), that is AOD off, wrist wake up on, notifications on, Heartrate 10 mins, Blood Oxygen manual, using a watchmaker face. It would have been better if the battery time was the same as the Gear S3 but its enough to meet my expectations.

WATCHFACES - Only really use two, a Rolex GMT on Watchmaker and the digital one that comes with the watch.

TIZEN/WEAR - It works as well as Tizen did, some bits not as good some better. I expect it will improve with updates as Tizen did. Samsung Pay was very temperamental for me with the Gear S3 but works flawlessly on the GW4 as an example.

MISSING FEATURES - Agree with you on this one, not including Google Assistant is a big negative, Bixby might be a bit better but it is still not great and I do not use it. No sure what other features you are missing but not a big deal for me.

WORKOUTS - Not used these yet, and I only occasionally used them on the Gear S3.

Unfortunately we live in a time where phones, smart watches all get released with bugs and not quite polished OS, but they do tend to get it right overtime. The downside of being an early adopter.

Regards

sanjsrik

Hi

SLEEPTRACKING - Consistent with performance I got with the Gear S3. No disconnects.

BATTERY - I am now getting two days (as opposed to about 2.5 days on the Gear S3), that is AOD off, wrist wake up on, notifications on, Heartrate 10 mins, Blood Oxygen manual, using a watchmaker face. It would have been better if the battery time was the same as the Gear S3 but its enough to meet my expectations.

WATCHFACES - Only really use two, a Rolex GMT on Watchmaker and the digital one that comes with the watch.

TIZEN/WEAR - It works as well as Tizen did, some bits not as good some better. I expect it will improve with updates as Tizen did. Samsung Pay was very temperamental for me with the Gear S3 but works flawlessly on the GW4 as an example.

MISSING FEATURES - Agree with you on this one, not including Google Assistant is a big negative, Bixby might be a bit better but it is still not great and I do not use it. No sure what other features you are missing but not a big deal for me.

WORKOUTS - Not used these yet, and I only occasionally used them on the Gear S3.

Unfortunately we live in a time where phones, smart watches all get released with bugs and not quite polished OS, but they do tend to get it right overtime. The downside of being an early adopter.

Regards
I disagree with your last sentiment most of all. This was released without proper testing making us the (you pay) beta testers. This should have been tested A LOT MORE than it was. I don't think it was.

I'ts nice you only use two watch faces. That's you. Me, I don't want to have to give up actual functionality simply because there's new hardware that doesn't work with the software provided.

The battery DOES NOT LAST, maybe if you've turned off ALL functionality in the watch and are using it "watch only" mode, sure, but then, what's the point of having a smartwatch? I'm not using that much functionality, but waking up and seeing that I have less than half of the watch battery left after only one night of use to track sleep AND that the sleep app was disconnected halfway throught the night. What WAS IT TRACKING to use that much battery, then?

Notifications, that is a deal-breaker. The fact that notifications DO NOT TRIGGER for mail, and almost ANY of the other apps that triggered normally on the GW3, that made me just want to not use this "new" hardware.

If you're not using the workouts feature then that's on you. It's a very big selling point for most of us. If the accuracy isn't there and so many have reported that it isn't, then there's no point in the "upgrade" if you can't get the same basic functionalty you had in the previous version.

This may have been an "upgrade" in some respects, it was a HUGE step back in ALL of them:

* battery
* workout tracking
* notifications
* sleep tracking
* watchfaces

Those are the basic things that this was doing well in GW3 that are either broken or don't work in the GW4.

It's sad you don't think having non-buggy to the point of non-functioning software is your baseline. I work in software and I'd be embarrassed to have released this thing in its present state.

sanjsrik

Calm down dude, just giving you my experience of it. If it don't work for you then send it back. Life is too short to stress about a watch.
Telling someone to "calm down" because they disagree with you is childish. You're coming from a watch that is YEARS old. I'm coming from a watch that is literally still being sold alongside this "new" one and being touted as the next awesome thing when clearly it's not.

* The software is buggy
* The hardware is lackluster (and not a vast improvement from the previous version)
* We paid for this, it wasn't a freebie, when you pay for a product that's talked up everywhere, you expect non-****ty results instead, what we got was subpar performance and a confusing mess for a UI/UX

Even the $50 trade-in coupons are coming up with issues. I've read over and over where people are being told you can't use the $50 coupons for WATCH-RELATED items at Samsung???

Fousekis7

Mar 6, 2021
What a pointless post, if you are not happy with your watch return it. Probably you have a faulty device anyway as mine has no issues at all with notifications, sleep tracking and workout syncing between watch and phone. With regards to battery life after a couple of weeks I am getting consistently two days with everything on except for AOD. This include an 1-hour workout a day. You say that the other poster is childish while your post is the childish one ranting in a forum about your unique issues instead of just returning your device and moving on. Plenty of options out there, good luck with finding a better one.

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
Interesting. I have none of the issues you are speaking of. My watch has never had issues with: sleep tracking, notifications, or workouts not syncing (and I don't have a Samsung phone).

With watch faces I pretty much use Matteo Dini's faces exclusively (have been for years) and he has all ready converted 31 of his Tizen faces to Wear faces.

As far as battery time I don't believe I have gone less than 2 days for the last 4 charges. I had a charge last week that lasted 3 days 11 hours. I do not have any functionality turned off. Location on, HR every 10 minutes, notifications on (texts, gmail, messenger), and always on display off. I only use bluetooth (wifi and NFC off). I also use bedtime mode when sleeping.

Have you considered if this might be an issue with your specific watch? Might there be an app you have installed which is creating these issues?

kkellogg378

Feb 22, 2018
Notifications, that is a deal-breaker. The fact that notifications DO NOT TRIGGER for mail, and almost ANY of the other apps that triggered normally on the GW3, that made me just want to not use this "new" hardware.
I had this issue at first, I would get notifications for certain apps on my phone but not my watch. The reason for that is because many apps are disabled by default, not because the watch is broken. There's a section in the Galaxy Wearable app for choosing what notifications pop up on your watch

JayRolla

Mar 8, 2011
Sounds like you jumped a bit quick on this device. Updates tend to always make them better and knowing samsung they tend to sort all these issues out and the new device 99% of the time ends up being the better device than the previous generation.

adfree

Jun 14, 2008
IMHO.

Samsung doing this ever and ever again...

Spit out "new" Product...

"Nothing" work... "nothing" available...

Few "features" Country restricted... so also not available...

IMHO not every user has time enough to wait monthS... sometimes yearS before "perfect" Product...

They NOT spread enough infos nor Tools to App Developer... to start BEFORE this "magic" is in Store...

This is so funny...
3 Apps...

No idea if it makes sense to buy Apple Product...
I have not enough money...

Only as info...

My personal opinion.

Best Regards

JayRolla

Mar 8, 2011
IMHO.

Samsung doing this ever and ever again...

Spit out "new" Product...

"Nothing" work... "nothing" available...

Few "features" Country restricted... so also not available...

IMHO not every user has time enough to wait monthS... sometimes yearS before "perfect" Product...

They NOT spread enough infos nor Tools to App Developer... to start BEFORE this "magic" is in Store...

This is so funny...
3 Apps...

No idea if it makes sense to buy Apple Product...
I have not enough money...

Only as info...

My personal opinion.

Best Regards
True. And that's why you don't be an early adopter if you want a "perfect" stable device. Keep using your current tech until the new stuff has been out, updated and reviewed so you can make an informative decision on what to buy. Don't be the guy that preorders and complains when it has an issue 2 weeks after release.

sanjsrik

I had this issue at first, I would get notifications for certain apps on my phone but not my watch. The reason for that is because many apps are disabled by default, not because the watch is broken. There's a section in the Galaxy Wearable app for choosing what notifications pop up on your watch
Tried it. Doesn't fix the issue.

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
Hi

Samsung Pay was very temperamental for me with the Gear S3 but works flawlessly on the GW4 as an example.
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm still rocking the Gear S3, and I've wondered whether having MST might be the source of some of the Samsung Pay fails - it seems to me that sometimes the pay terminal picks up both the NFC and MST signal, and that causes the 'card read error.' I've even wondered if that might be at least part of the reason Samsung chose to remove MST, and why the newer watches work more reliably with Samsung Pay. It's just a theory of mine - welcome other views.

carlitos66

Dec 19, 2010
Agree with original poster, did send mine back after 2 weeks. Not worth upgrading from my Watch 3. I will skip this year and see what they come up with next year. Using the watch with Fold 2. No major issues with Watch 3, occasional stutter switching between apps but excellent battery life. Screen always on, full day use ( 14 hrs + ) and at the end of the day still 36%...

Fousekis7

Mar 6, 2021
Agree with original poster, did send mine back after 2 weeks. Not worth upgrading from my Watch 3. I will skip this year and see what they come up with next year. Using the watch with Fold 2. No major issues with Watch 3, occasional stutter switching between apps but excellent battery life. Screen always on, full day use ( 14 hrs + ) and at the end of the day still 36%...
I have like 50% with the same setting on my GW4

exocetdj

Dec 2, 2011
Jah's making me crazy
My first Smart watch so cant really comment vs any previous models.

Still, over the moon with my watch classic 4 - and yes, this is the "Dreaded" 42mm version - on LTE (durrr durrr dummmmmm!!!!! - cue evil music etc etc).

I have disconnected LTE for the most part as i can make calls via bluetooth using my phone - more than ample for my needs

I have also disconnected wifi - again, I don't need the extra connections when the phone is ample and i can watch youtube videos on my watch over the bluetooth connection on odd browser (completely pointless but proves this sentiment)

AOD only serves a purpose if you are heavily exercising or want to pretend you have a rolex or something stupid like that - that has been turned off as it takes about quarter of a second for the screen to wake each and every time i raise it to view - more than ample.

Yesterday i decided to see what all the bitching about battery was about - Between 9am and 3pm i had only lost about 15% battery life.

There is ###k all wrong with this device :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jtOttawa

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yeah charges quick enough here too - i get that everyone has an opinion and i would fight til the death for everyone's right to it however...........

Is there REALLY any need for these hating threads? lol - that said i hope the OP finds a more suitable watch for themselves as if you have a device that is not up to your expectations then that sucks (fold 3 is tainted by the camera bug for example) i can defo relate to that, even if my personal opinion of the device is a favorable one (y)
    Actually, yes, as we need to hear all perspectives, good and bad, as both are useful. I have my own 'hating' thread, where I describe my initial disappointment with the watch. I in fact returned my first one too - only to buy one again when faced with combined discounts I could not pass up.

The watch does have issues - I must admit I have been shocked by the numerous, obvious bugs - but it also has a lot of potential, and that's why I decided to stick with it (and it was a no-brainer at the price I paid).

Navigation with Google Maps was the game changing feature for me, and @Dante63 saved the day with BP and ECG (for which we have been waiting forever it seems here in Canada, and probably won't arrive officially any time soon). Without these features, I would have given it a miss, as my Gear S3 still mostly meets my needs just fine.

Also, I'd like to think (perhaps naively) that consumer complaints will prompt Samsung and Google to step up their game and fix the issues with Wear OS3.

All of which is to say that yes, I think we do need these perspectives as well as your own so we can all make informed decisions as to what meets our needs and expectations and what doesn't.
    AOD only serves a purpose if you are heavily exercising or want to pretend you have a rolex or something stupid like that
    No, those are not the only reasons to have AOD on. Watches, since the beginning of watches, have AOD. Many of us want to see the time without having to perform some magic movement to wake the screen. Other times, we want to see the time without making it known to everyone else around us that we are doing so, because it could look rude.

So, while you can choose to not use AOD, and that is perfectly fine, try not to categorize everyone else as doing something "stupid" other than when "heavily exercising." Even in the case where it really is just a cosmetic choice, that isn't necessarily "stupid" either... any more than trying to choose a nice watch face or band, or outfit you are wearing.
    Okay, I personally find the tone of some people here questionable. Guys, no need to get worked up.
    I agree, we are early adopters and some features drive me crazy (the simple watch face if some app is open) but after using it for 1.5 weeks I have no big problems.

AOD on (one of the Samsung watch faces), sensors on, all notifications, bp thanks to the mod on here, sometimes sleep tracking ( 46 classic and I don't need it really, but takes 15 percent a night and snoring feature is fun)

on the weekend with minimal use (taken directly from app)
    Watch used since last charge 1d3h, 1d5h left.

Normal use 7 am day one till 19 pm next day with sleep tracking
    Without sleep tracking and watch 8h next to bed 7 am to next day 23pm

I charge it always on the second day. I have 0 connection problems to my a40 and receive all notifications (but sometimes they could stay active longer but that's my settings). Probably I am lucky, but most critic is anecdotical too. Admittingly, the difference to gw 3 isn't that big, to my s3 it was enough.

Still, over the moon with my watch classic 4 - and yes, this is the "Dreaded" 42mm version - on LTE (durrr durrr dummmmmm!!!!! - cue evil music etc etc).

I have disconnected LTE for the most part as i can make calls via bluetooth using my phone - more than ample for my needs

I have also disconnected wifi - again, I don't need the extra connections when the phone is ample and i can watch youtube videos on my watch over the bluetooth connection on odd browser (completely pointless but proves this sentiment)

AOD only serves a purpose if you are heavily exercising or want to pretend you have a rolex or something stupid like that - that has been turned off as it takes about quarter of a second for the screen to wake each and every time i raise it to view - more than ample.

Yesterday i decided to see what all the bitching about battery was about - Between 9am and 3pm i had only lost about 15% battery life.

I would add that I have no complaint about charging speeds - seems to charge up fast enough as far as I'm concerned - but then, I'm not watching over it like a hawk as it charges so maybe that's why it seems OK... 😊
    Calm down dude, just giving you my experience of it. If it don't work for you then send it back. Life is too short to stress about a watch.
    What a pointless post, if you are not happy with your watch return it. Probably you have a faulty device anyway as mine has no issues at all with notifications, sleep tracking and workout syncing between watch and phone. With regards to battery life after a couple of weeks I am getting consistently two days with everything on except for AOD. This include an 1-hour workout a day. You say that the other poster is childish while your post is the childish one ranting in a forum about your unique issues instead of just returning your device and moving on. Plenty of options out there, good luck with finding a better one.
    Hi

Regards
    I don't have any of these problems to be honest.
    There is plenty of bugs that need to be sorting out on the Watch 4, I'm also a bit disappointed with it though some of the issues you have with your's i don't have, like battery life which is pretty decent for me and i have everything on continuous monitoring.

I've put mine back in the box won't be selling just yet, I'm gonna give Samsung a chance to sort these bugs out first, in the meantime I've gone back to using my Active 2 44mm, which has been solid for me for the past couple of years i've had it.

I think Samsung decided or was force to ditch Tizen in favor of Watch OS because of the pressure from Apple with the Apple Watch ie app support being the main thing, something that was severely lacking on Tizen.

I personally didn't really care about having more apps as i never used any other than what came with the watch, fitness tracking and notifications was all i needed and the past, & Tizen watches did this without any issues, even Samsung pay I could use running my card though Curve as my Bank doesn't support Samsung Pay, but alas it is nice to have the useful google services now on a Samsung Watch.

Ultimately the Watch 4 44mm i have is better than my Active 2 in many ways ie google pay, google maps & hopefully google assistant at some point plus a few new health features, but atm it just not there stability wise to be used on a daily basis.