• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Returning due to connectivity issues. Past return window too.

Search This thread

Starzboy77

Jun 30, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I already had to have a defective screen replaced but now I more times than not have no signal. My OnePlus 7t has full signal strength. I'm missing calls and it's unacceptable. I'm never purchasing another Google phone again. I should have learned my lesson with the Nexus 6p. They will be emailing me with return instructions within the next day. I demanded a remedy or a full refund and they obviously have zero remedies as it's apparent the cheap Samsung modem they used is likely the cause. I tried all the potential from fixes but nothing works and I shouldn't have to disable 2g or downgrade to lte. So disappointed with Google. Think I'll stick with my 7T until something better comes out. Maybe I'll go with the M11 Ultra.

ggrant3876

Jun 17, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
I already had to have a defective screen replaced but now I more times than not have no signal. My OnePlus 7t has full signal strength. I'm missing calls and it's unacceptable. I'm never purchasing another Google phone again. I should have learned my lesson with the Nexus 6p. They will be emailing me with return instructions within the next day. I demanded a remedy or a full refund and they obviously have zero remedies as it's apparent the cheap Samsung modem they used is likely the cause. I tried all the potential from fixes but nothing works and I shouldn't have to disable 2g or downgrade to lte. So disappointed with Google. Think I'll stick with my 7T until something better comes out. Maybe I'll go with the M11 Ultra.
Sorry for your bad experience. My P6P has about 15% better reception and 20% better DL speeds than my Note 20 Ultra so I can't imagine it would be the modem since they are probably the same.

Starzboy77

Jun 30, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Sorry for your bad experience. My P6P has about 15% better reception and 20% better DL speeds than my Note 20 Ultra so I can't imagine it would be the modem since they are probably the same.
Glad you aren't experiencing this issue but it seems to be a mass issue and Google has been completely silent. I don't trust them after what I went through with the Nexus 6p which resulted in a class action suit settlement. I sense this phone will follow the same path too.

• Haha
Reactions: Mrcactuseater
who is your cell service provider? Thanks.

I just returned from TMobile. New sim card. No change. They didn't charge me since it made no improvement. Sorry, phone is junk. Never getting another Google phone again. Never.
@Starzboy77 - yikes! i had a similar problem with an AT&T P6P, when using an eSim and nano Sim (tried 4 eSims). the phone wouldn't hold a signal so i returned it to the store. the one thing i didn't try was forcing the phone to use a 4G/LTE signal (supposedly fixes some connection issues). thanks for taking time to respond to my questions.

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yea, on VZ in the Cleveland area I am dropping signal also. Never dropped with my 3XL or my Note 20.

Driving across the turnpike going to Michigan it dropped multiple times. The turnpike is rocl solid coverage. They added towers years ago to be sure it was solid end to end.

This phone is going to be a nightmare to use when the snow is gone and I start traveling on my motorcycle. I suspect I will replace it before then unless there is a software fix. This modem is junk.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Glad you aren't experiencing this issue but it seems to be a mass issue and Google has been completely silent. I don't trust them after what I went through with the Nexus 6p which resulted in a class action suit settlement. I sense this phone will follow the same path too.
Problems with nexus 6p were because of Qualcomm and their half baked soc. This is not a Qualcomm.

Starzboy77

Jun 30, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Problems with nexus 6p were because of Qualcomm and their half baked soc. This is not a Qualcomm.
No. The 6p had a bad mic issue and a bad battery issue that would lead to shutdowns while still reading at 40% power. It also had bootloop issues that were related to the board I believe. It was plagued with problems which the Pixel 6 Pro seems to be matching. Connectivity, overheating, Bluetooth, battery to name a few and my first one came with a screen defect that required a screen replacement.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
No. The 6p had a bad mic issue and a bad battery issue that would lead to shutdowns while still reading at 40% power. It also had bootloop issues that were related to the board I believe. It was plagued with problems which the Pixel 6 Pro seems to be matching. Connectivity, overheating, Bluetooth, battery to name a few and my first one came with a screen defect that required a screen replacement.
I can only guess that those problems are imaginary or due to some weird garbage you installed. I took mine off the charger on Friday morning. Currently at 25%. Battery life and obviously heat are non-issues. Bluetooth works perfectly.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
And fwiw, Qualcomm pmics always read bad on the battery.

Starzboy77

Jun 30, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I can only guess that those problems are imaginary or due to some weird garbage you installed. I took mine off the charger on Friday morning. Currently at 25%. Battery life and obviously heat are non-issues. Bluetooth works perfectly.
My problem is connectivity issues. The battery, Bluetooth and heat issues are widely discussed and reported.

Reactions: galaxys

Juansegovia20

Oct 21, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Connectivity was the worst for me with TMobile, download speed of less than 1mbps, calls and texts were bad, after a decade of loyalty i ditched them, went to at&t and all good, only problem i have with this phone is the screen not responding to touch for a few seconds a few times a day

johninsf

I have been hesitant to say there's connectivity issues on the P6P. However, my experience hasn't been great. Compared to my P4a5g, signals are similarly weird but I get more bars consistently on the P4a5g.

Disclaimer: I straddle weak 5g and LTE signals in almost dead center of SF.

Even turning off 5g to eliminate the terrible handoff to LTE, I bounce between LTE bands on each end of our flat.

I have to be right in the middle of a strong signal area to get full bars with the P6P; consistent 5g is elusive.

Maybe it is time to look at other carriers? I have been with TMo since 1999. Seriously.

Would love to hear from anyone in SF on their carrier experiences. Have always avoided Verizon and AT&T. What about Google Fi?

My sim card is ~4-5 years old. I should get a new one. Is eSim better for signal?

Reactions: swieder711

Alekos

I have been hesitant to say there's connectivity issues on the P6P. However, my experience hasn't been great. Compared to my P4a5g, signals are similarly weird but I get more bars consistently on the P4a5g.

Disclaimer: I straddle weak 5g and LTE signals in almost dead center of SF.

Even turning off 5g to eliminate the terrible handoff to LTE, I bounce between LTE bands on each end of our flat.

I have to be right in the middle of a strong signal area to get full bars with the P6P; consistent 5g is elusive.

Maybe it is time to look at other carriers? I have been with TMo since 1999. Seriously.

Would love to hear from anyone in SF on their carrier experiences. Have always avoided Verizon and AT&T. What about Google Fi?

My sim card is ~4-5 years old. I should get a new one. Is eSim better for signal?
I mean I think we're pretty lucky in North America because we get to choose from 3 providers instead of one (the more the better for sure). I'm not in SF but I know that sometimes, changing cell providers can make a world of difference. even in cities. different towers from different companies use different bands. it can make such a difference. a good start is a new SIM card for sure. I suggest people get a new one every 5 years.

some providers might also give you a 2 day trial, maybe look at that option? (they do in CA).

Reactions: johninsf

ajsmsg78

Dec 6, 2008
Selden, NY
Huawei MediaPad X2
Xiaomi Poco F3
The same thing was happening to me about 2 months ago on both of my Poco F3's right before I got the 6 Pro. It ended up being something with T-Mobile as the problem stopped about a week and a half later.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

"bars" is only a reading relative to itself and can't be compared between phones. I do notice that the P6P shows fewer bars typically, HOWEVER, it actually holds a signal very well. FAR FAR better than P2XL, and about equal to Nexus 6 which was about the best I'd ever seen for holding on to a signal.

Sim card is ONLY an authorization module and doesn't have any bearing on how it holds on to a signal, HOWEVER, it can impact what signals it is authorized to connect to.
    who is your cell service provider? Thanks.
    TMobile. In the Phoenix metro area. Going to a TMobile store now to get a new sim card. Doubt it will help but we'll see.
    Yea, on VZ in the Cleveland area I am dropping signal also. Never dropped with my 3XL or my Note 20.

Driving across the turnpike going to Michigan it dropped multiple times. The turnpike is rocl solid coverage. They added towers years ago to be sure it was solid end to end.

This phone is going to be a nightmare to use when the snow is gone and I start traveling on my motorcycle. I suspect I will replace it before then unless there is a software fix. This modem is junk.
    The December security update is packed full of features and fixes = comes out next week.

Maybe this one will help connectivity.

Network & Telephony

General improvements for network connection stability & performance *[7].
    Fix for crash in Settings when toggling Airplane mode on certain network configurations *[7].

Here is a link to details on 9to5Google.
    @Alekos thank you for the feedback.

Since the P6P supports eSim, testing other providers should be easy, right? I am guessing that using eSim doesn't make a difference in network connectivity performance. If you understand otherwise, please let me know.

And yes. I will definitely get a new sim. Can't hurt; might help.

Thanks again.
    eSIM has a lot of benefits. but I'm just old school I guess. if the phone breaks I can transfer the sim card to another phone without having to call the silly cellphone carrier. eSIM is great but the technology is so new. It's funny though, some P6P owners actually said that when they got an eSIM, their connection got better, but this is completely unheard of (and probably has to do with the carrier apn configuration on the 6 series.

I'm also against eSIM because of privacy concerns etc. I have 2 different phones (one of them with a different name and address) that I use, so I'm kinda against eSIMs for different reasons. but try it. theoretically it should be no different in cell coverage, but crazier things have happened.