Question Returning due to connectivity issues. Past return window too.

Search This thread

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
@Alekos thank you for the feedback.

Since the P6P supports eSim, testing other providers should be easy, right? I am guessing that using eSim doesn't make a difference in network connectivity performance. If you understand otherwise, please let me know.

And yes. I will definitely get a new sim. Can't hurt; might help.

Thanks again.
eSIM has a lot of benefits. but I'm just old school I guess. if the phone breaks I can transfer the sim card to another phone without having to call the silly cellphone carrier. eSIM is great but the technology is so new. It's funny though, some P6P owners actually said that when they got an eSIM, their connection got better, but this is completely unheard of (and probably has to do with the carrier apn configuration on the 6 series.

I'm also against eSIM because of privacy concerns etc. I have 2 different phones (one of them with a different name and address) that I use, so I'm kinda against eSIMs for different reasons. but try it. theoretically it should be no different in cell coverage, but crazier things have happened.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
I have been hesitant to say there's connectivity issues on the P6P. However, my experience hasn't been great. Compared to my P4a5g, signals are similarly weird but I get more bars consistently on the P4a5g.

"bars" is only a reading relative to itself and can't be compared between phones. I do notice that the P6P shows fewer bars typically, HOWEVER, it actually holds a signal very well. FAR FAR better than P2XL, and about equal to Nexus 6 which was about the best I'd ever seen for holding on to a signal.

My sim card is ~4-5 years old. I should get a new one. Is eSim better for signal?

Sim card is ONLY an authorization module and doesn't have any bearing on how it holds on to a signal, HOWEVER, it can impact what signals it is authorized to connect to.

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / Mod & RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member
I already had to have a defective screen replaced but now I more times than not have no signal.

My OnePlus 7t has full signal strength. I'm missing calls and it's unacceptable. I'm never purchasing another Google phone again. I should have learned my lesson with the Nexus 6p. They will be emailing me with return instructions within the next day. I demanded a remedy or a full refund and they obviously have zero remedies as it's apparent the cheap Samsung modem they used is likely the cause. I tried all the potential from fixes but nothing works and I shouldn't have to disable 2g or downgrade to lte. So disappointed with Google. Think I'll stick with my 7T until something better comes out. Maybe I'll go with the M11 Ultra.

Sorry to hear of your issues, but I'm not sure it's systemic issue with the Pixel devices.

I had several Google/Pixel devices over the years; Nexus 6P, 2 XL, Pixel 5, and now the 6 Pro.

None of these devices gave me signal, connectivity, or reception issues. As a matter of fact, I work in a pretty remote area bout 35 miles outside of a small town (just a few hours southwest of Phoenix), and have gotten quite good service/signal on all the mentioned Pixel devices, including my P6P.

I've been on Verizon with all these devices, and my P6P has a physical SIM card.

It's probably safe to say that every manufacturer has devices with less than stellar reputations or has batches with buggy issues, and that mass produced, complicated electronic devices made by humans in less than ideal conditions are going to have batches of issues here and there, across the manufacturer board.

Spending a lot of $$ and getting a faulty device sucks, no doubt. And while your experience is certainly a let down for you and those who have similar buggy devices, there are far more users enjoying their Pixel family of devices for many years without significant issue.

Again, not it any way to diminish your bad experience, just to contrast it with those who haven't experienced the same issues with Google's devices.

Last edited:

somethingsomethingroot

Nov 8, 2013
I've had issues with 5G dropping to LTE, but not the overall signal dropping. Such a wide range of usability on this phone.

Glad you aren't experiencing this issue but it seems to be a mass issue and Google has been completely silent. I don't trust them after what I went through with the Nexus 6p which resulted in a class action suit settlement. I sense this phone will follow the same path too.

I'm not gonna say to trust the big company, but I got a free Pixel XL at the time and like $400 few years later. That wasn't exactly the worst outcome.

Though signal drops and boot loops are a different class of issue. Don't sense a lawsuit over it, but I'm fine being wrong about it.

domestickreation

Dec 6, 2021
Sorry to hear of your issues, but I'm not sure it's systemic issue with the Pixel devices.

I had several Google/Pixel devices over the years; Nexus 6P, 2 XL, Pixel 5, and now the 6 Pro.

None of these devices gave me signal, connectivity, or reception issues. As a matter of fact, I work in a pretty remote area bout 35 miles outside of a small town (just a few hours southwest of Phoenix), and have gotten quite good service/signal on all the mentioned Pixel devices, including my P6P.

I've been on Verizon with all these devices, and my P6P has a physical SIM card.

It's probably safe to say that every manufacturer has devices with less than stellar reputations or has batches with buggy issues, and that mass produced, complicated electronic devices made by humans in less than ideal conditions are going to have batches of issues here and there, across the manufacturer board.

Spending a lot of $$ and getting a faulty device sucks, no doubt. And while your experience is certainly a let down for you and those who have similar buggy devices, there are far more users enjoying their Pixel family of devices for many years without significant issue.

Again, not it any way to diminish your bad experience, just to contrast it with those who haven't experienced the same issues with Google's devices.
I have issues with my Verizon P6P dropping WiFi continuously...I've owned a lot of phones on every carrier and never experienced anything like this. The phone will connect to Wifi (router/modem in the same room) then immediately drop it and return to LTE (I've set LTE as my preferred band)...it's strange...I've reset the network connections..no help...reset the phone to factory setting...no help...Normally I can trouble shoot an issue pretty effectively but have had no luck...Yes I've owned other Pixel devices in the past and had no issues.....If it's software related, I would have thought Google would have addressed this issue...since it's a connectivity issue which is a very serious problem for a phone lol

rosso22

Nov 25, 2009

Since the P6P supports eSim, testing other providers should be easy, right? I am guessing that using eSim doesn't make a difference in network connectivity performance. If you understand otherwise, please let me know.

Thanks again.
I have a physical sim and esim in my p6p, they are both on the same network but the esim often has no signal when the physical sim does (both on 4g or esim on 5g, same problem) This is sat in my house where my pixel 4a 5g had both sims and never lost signal ever. So IMHO the esim is weaker than the physical sim and the signal in general is much weaker than previous phones in the same location. And the wi-fi calling handover is crap and have to toggle airplane mode to reconnect to network.

Reactions: johninsf

johninsf

"bars" is only a reading relative to itself and can't be compared between phones. I do notice that the P6P shows fewer bars typically, HOWEVER, it actually holds a signal very well. FAR FAR better than P2XL, and about equal to Nexus 6 which was about the best I'd ever seen for holding on to a signal.
Noted.

Clarification: signal, data, call quality, texting is poor at times + bars align = exclamation, one or two bars = issues are likely my location, towers, hole in coverage. Possibly modem because I do see a difference with another phone and same sim. Is it bad enough for me to return the phone: no. Annoying: yes.

Sim card is ONLY an authorization module and doesn't have any bearing on how it holds on to a signal, HOWEVER, it can impact what signals it is authorized to connect to.
Good to know!

Thank you.

djy

Sep 2, 2009
T-Mobile here. I only receive LTE inside the house. I was constantly losing cell service on two Pixel 6 Pro's. Turning off WIFI calling fixed the problem for some reason. Speed isn't great at home but at least we have a reliable signal now. This never happened on our Pixel 3's.

johninsf

The December security update is packed full of features and fixes = comes out next week.

Maybe this one will help connectivity.

Network & Telephony

General improvements for network connection stability & performance *[7].
Fix for crash in Settings when toggling Airplane mode on certain network configurations *[7].

Here is a link to details on 9to5Google.

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
I have a physical sim and esim in my p6p, they are both on the same network but the esim often has no signal when the physical sim does (both on 4g or esim on 5g, same problem) This is sat in my house where my pixel 4a 5g had both sims and never lost signal ever. So IMHO the esim is weaker than the physical sim and the signal in general is much weaker than previous phones in the same location. And the wi-fi calling handover is crap and have to toggle airplane mode to reconnect to network.
the reports are all over the map, that's why I was referring to something more going on with the phone. there's going to be a ton of updates in the next few weeks, months? so hopefully it gets resolved. I would say most people don't have issues. but a lot people are having problems (a lot more than is normal usually with a release) so we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Gerr1985

Feb 12, 2010
Chicago
TMobile here and I'm in the far south west suburbs of Chicago. I get amazing 5G signal, and outside my home I get about 250 Mbps download. Inside home I get about 50-60. I played with WiFi calling stuff and I think things are working better with it all off. Not that I had many issues with it in, just helped my battery I think somehow having it off.

Utini

Dec 25, 2010
www.whymacsucks.com
www.whymacsucks.com

That is very interesting. Because it doesnt make sense at all.

Reactions: kastuvas

hello00

Dec 29, 2009
South Miami, FL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
TMobile here and I'm in the far south west suburbs of Chicago. I get amazing 5G signal, and outside my home I get about 250 Mbps download. Inside home I get about 50-60. I played with WiFi calling stuff and I think things are working better with it all off. Not that I had many issues with it in, just helped my battery I think somehow having it off.

Same Tmo. inside my house I get 95-100mbps. Outside I get even more. 5G everywhere in Miami.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211207-002444.png
    Screenshot_20211207-002444.png
    398.6 KB · Views: 45

bhasb

Apr 13, 2012
I am from India, i have call drop issues when i am using the phone outside with out WI FI. Phone work absolutely fine when its connected to WIFI. i am on Airtel Network.
Waiting for the December update it may fix the network issues

rosso22

Nov 25, 2009
That is very interesting. Because it doesnt make sense at all.
I know it doesn't make sense to me either. Surely the sims use the same antenna, so how can one see it and one not, when they are on the same network. The eSim does eventually find a signal, usually when I leave my house, but sometimes shows less signal on the eSim when it does come on.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I know it doesn't make sense to me either. Surely the sims use the same antenna, so how can one see it and one not, when they are on the same network. The eSim does eventually find a signal, usually when I leave my house, but sometimes shows less signal on the eSim when it does come on.
Maybe it's a matter similar to this scenario: When my wife and I had the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3, she would get a good signal and I wouldn't when we were together - then other times I would get a good signal and she wouldn't. I took it into a Sprint store and they fiddled with mine, supposedly, and they told me something like that each SIM card is set to prefer certain cell towers. That doesn't mean they can't use the others, but in this example, our cell phones were using different towers when we were both in the same spot.

After they fiddled with it, it seemed better, but that was such a long time ago, who knows. :D I don't know if this is realistic or not, nor whether it would necessarily apply to other carriers, but for what it's worth.

• Wow
Reactions: Alekos
Received an unlocked P6P today, configured an eSIM and nano SIM (e.g., 2 cellular numbers with 5G access) and had the same inconsistent cellular and data connection/issue as my former ATT P6P.

However, after changing the phone's network connections from its default settings to LTE only, connectivity issues went away. I switched back to default settings, data and cellular connectivity issues returned. My simple laymen's conclusion: 5G to LTE, or LTE to 5G tower handoffs aren't handled well with the phone. (This is a very unscientific conclusion based on my observations in a supposedly strong 5G area). Nonetheless, I'm glad the P6P is finally meeting "my basic" expectations, or also works as a phone. 👍

mkhcb

Nov 2, 2012
Received an unlocked P6P today, configured an eSIM and nano SIM (e.g., 2 cellular numbers with 5G access) and had the same inconsistent cellular and data connection/issue as my former ATT P6P.

However, after changing the phone's network connections from its default settings to LTE only, connectivity issues went away. I switched back to default settings, data and cellular connectivity issues returned. My simple laymen's conclusion: 5G to LTE, or LTE to 5G tower handoffs aren't handled well with the phone. (This is a very unscientific conclusion based on my observations in a supposedly strong 5G area). Nonetheless, I'm glad the P6P is finally meeting "my basic" expectations, or also works as a phone. 👍
How I fixed this issue on my end.

Settings> Network and Internet> Setting bolt icon next to my mobile carrier (T-Mobile)> Access Point Name> Created my own with the same settings from my carrier (T-Mobile) but with "APN type" only having: default,supl,mms,DUN

The rest of the APN stuff seemed to break my mobile data.

Hope this works for others too.

Starzboy77

Jun 30, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Well after a few days with the December update, I have seen no change with connectivity. Sorry, Google released a defective product and I will be demanding they accept a return immediately. I don't care if I'm past their arbitrary 15 day window. The primary function of this device is to be a phone and it fails miserably. Google should be ashamed of themselves. I'll file a BBB and FCC/FTC complaint if I have too. I refuse to drop close to a grand for what I'm not receiving. Never again Google.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been hesitant to say there's connectivity issues on the P6P. However, my experience hasn't been great. Compared to my P4a5g, signals are similarly weird but I get more bars consistently on the P4a5g.

My sim card is ~4-5 years old. I should get a new one. Is eSim better for signal?

who is your cell service provider? Thanks.
    TMobile. In the Phoenix metro area. Going to a TMobile store now to get a new sim card. Doubt it will help but we'll see.
    Yea, on VZ in the Cleveland area I am dropping signal also. Never dropped with my 3XL or my Note 20.

Driving across the turnpike going to Michigan it dropped multiple times. The turnpike is rocl solid coverage. They added towers years ago to be sure it was solid end to end.

This phone is going to be a nightmare to use when the snow is gone and I start traveling on my motorcycle. I suspect I will replace it before then unless there is a software fix. This modem is junk.
    The December security update is packed full of features and fixes = comes out next week.

Maybe this one will help connectivity.

Network & Telephony

General improvements for network connection stability & performance *[7].
    Fix for crash in Settings when toggling Airplane mode on certain network configurations *[7].

Here is a link to details on 9to5Google.

Thanks again.
    eSIM has a lot of benefits. but I'm just old school I guess. if the phone breaks I can transfer the sim card to another phone without having to call the silly cellphone carrier. eSIM is great but the technology is so new. It's funny though, some P6P owners actually said that when they got an eSIM, their connection got better, but this is completely unheard of (and probably has to do with the carrier apn configuration on the 6 series.

I'm also against eSIM because of privacy concerns etc. I have 2 different phones (one of them with a different name and address) that I use, so I'm kinda against eSIMs for different reasons. but try it. theoretically it should be no different in cell coverage, but crazier things have happened.