General Returning P6P entirely due to curved screen, swapping to P6

Search This thread

deusfaux

Dec 12, 2010
ATTN: if you (somehow) like or merely don't mind the curved screen, good for you. This is information for others considering the Pixel 6 Pro who might have the same dissatisfaction as I. Also note that none of my concerns are about the much more commonly discussed screen protector / case / swiping differences. I use my phones naked.

after owning many Nexus and Pixel phones, this was my first phone with a curved edge display:

-I was immediately put off by the full length shadow on the edge on all light backgrounds, and the full length highlight on all dark backgrounds (under glass issues). Envision a distinct grey bar interrupting the otherwise pristine even background.

-It also results in a secondary surface to catch glare/reflections from direct light sources (on glass issue). That is, even if you hold your phone to avoid glare across the main part of the screen, you may still catch glare on the edge. You now have 2 surfaces to catch light vs 1.

-I also dislike the geometry distortion and warping effect it has on content at the edge. It's not how the content is meant to be perceived. It makes it 'pop' in an eye catching (you don't want your eye caught there) way. Some text and images look like it's rolling off the edge. Ugly.

-Lastly, on my previous phone with a flat edge I was already, in some apps (**** youtube), experiencing regular mis-taps with palm or finger flesh unintentionally causing unwanted behaviours just from holding the device, or picking up/putting down. I expect that to be markedly worse on this phone.

All said, I'm returning it and getting the Pixel 6. The color and geometry distortion is too ugly, distracting, and IMO ruins the image. I would rather give up the handful of advantages of the Pro just so that the core experience (looking at the screen) is much improved.

A real shame. Hope they never use one again.

Last edited:

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
It was the biggest reason for getting the P6, I would have dealt with the bigger size if the screen was flat.

Screen protector takes 2 seconds and is cheap compared to curved (I have the s20 as well, I know the struggle). I also like not getting accidental touches like you do on curved panels.

Reactions: deusfaux

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
It was the biggest reason for getting the P6, I would have dealt with the bigger size if the screen was flat.

Screen protector takes 2 seconds and is cheap compared to curved (I have the s20 as well, I know the struggle). I also like not getting accidental touches like you do on curved panels.
I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the 120hz and the 48mp camera but the 90hz is still very smooth and I'm getting a moment camera so I can use the even better gn1 with a telephoto (and macro!)

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
ATTN: if you (somehow) like or merely don't mind the curved screen, good for you. This is information for others considering the Pixel 6 Pro who might have the same dissatisfaction as I. Also note that none of my concerns are about the much more commonly discussed screen protector / case / swiping differences. I use my phones naked.

after owning many Nexus and Pixel phones, this was my first phone with a curved edge display:

-I was immediately put off by the full length shadow on the edge on all light backgrounds, and the full length highlight on all dark backgrounds (under glass issues). Envision a distinct grey bar interrupting the otherwise pristine even background.

-It also results in a secondary surface to catch glare/reflections from direct light sources (on glass issue). That is, even if you hold your phone to avoid glare across the main part of the screen, you may still catch glare on the edge. You now have 2 surfaces to catch light vs 1.

-I also dislike the geometry distortion and warping effect it has on content at the edge. It's not how the content is meant to be perceived. It makes it 'pop' in an eye catching (you don't want your eye caught there) way. Some text and images look like it's rolling off the edge. Ugly.

-Lastly, on my previous phone with a flat edge I was already, in some apps (**** youtube), experiencing regular mis-taps with palm or finger flesh unintentionally causing unwanted behaviours just from holding the device, or picking up/putting down. I expect that to be markedly worse on this phone.

All said, I'm returning it and getting the Pixel 6. The color and geometry distortion is too ugly, distracting, and IMO ruins the image. I would rather give up the handful of advantages of the Pro just so that the core experience (looking at the screen) is much improved.

I'd say that's a fair perspective, and I agree with the points made. I'm sticking with P6P however, since the optical distortions are less important than the additional width for making the screen keyboard effective for typing, and the limited ability to physically hold the device because of the rounded corners is corrected by my case (I always use a robust case on a phone, saved me MANY times).

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
This is the first curved screen i have owned and i have actively gone out of my way in the past to avoid them as i see no benefits whatsoever to them. However on the P6P the cons are totally offset but the zoom range, my wifes Pixel 6 is crap even at 4 or 5X where as the P6P is fine at 10x and beyond.

Reactions: gie62001

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
This is the first curved screen i have owned and i have actively gone out of my way in the past to avoid them as i see no benefits whatsoever to them. However on the P6P the cons are totally offset but the zoom range, my wifes Pixel 6 is crap even at 4 or 5X where as the P6P is fine at 10x and beyond.

I hear you on that. Took my kid up north on the weekend and had a flock of wild turkeys hanging around in the front yard at about 50 yards. Started zooming in to get a good shot, crap crap crap and BOOM, it switched to the zoom sensor and got a beautiful shot of them.

I was originally annoyed by the curved screen, but then I saw a couple of videos on this case. It looked promising after I saw some videos.

I ended up ordering it, and the level of protection and coverage on the sides was actually more than I thought it would be, it actually covers up the curves to a point where it doesn't get in the way of texting or anything. It's a thick feeling case, very grippy and actually looks good on the phone. The only sore spot I have with this case is the logo on the bottom left corner, but it's no big deal.

Here's some images of the case, in case anyone is interested.

rsz_img_2624.jpg

Attachments

• rsz_img_2625.jpg
    rsz_img_2625.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 38
  • rsz_img_2626.jpg
    rsz_img_2626.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 39

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Curved screen is one you can get used to.... But enjoy your pixel 6. Cheers
The case needs to be higher than the display on the sides to protect it and stop accidental touches/drops*. The only real issue I find with a curved screen is cut/pasting near the curve. Of course you can flip over to landscape or use other maneuvers to grab it. Otherwise it becomes a seamless experience.
I never liked the display edge of any display🤣

*curved displays near no bezel phones tend to be slippery fish with no case. They will turn into flying fish eventually unless you case em.

Reactions: galaxys

galaxys

Recognized Contributor
May 9, 2007
Cosmos
OnePlus 9 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Watch
The case needs to be higher than the display on the sides to protect it and stop accidental touches/drops*. The only real issue I find with a curved screen is cut/pasting near the curve. Of course you can flip over to landscape or use other maneuvers to grab it. Otherwise it becomes a seamless experience.

*curved displays near no bezel phones tend to be slippery fish with no case. They will turn into flying fish eventually unless you case em.
I've always had good cases on my last four curved screen devices! Works a treat! 🚪📴✅ Cheers 🍻

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

follow-up: satisfaction was instant with Pixel 6. Very happy I switched.

I've always had good cases on my last four curved screen devices! Works a treat! 🚪📴✅ Cheers 🍻
    Curved screen is one you can get used to.... But enjoy your pixel 6. Cheers
    I was originally annoyed by the curved screen, but then I saw a couple of videos on this case. It looked promising after I saw some videos.

I ended up ordering it, and the level of protection and coverage on the sides was actually more than I thought it would be, it actually covers up the curves to a point where it doesn't get in the way of texting or anything. It's a thick feeling case, very grippy and actually looks good on the phone. The only sore spot I have with this case is the logo on the bottom left corner, but it's no big deal.

Here's some images of the case, in case anyone is interested.

rsz_img_2624.jpg