returning the Nexus S How do I unroot it

plmiller0905

Apr 25, 2010
Chicago
I am returning my nexus s back to bestbuy tomorrow. How do i go about unrooting it?

Thank you

(There isn't a Q and A section made up for the NS yet so i posted my question here)

plmiller0905

Apr 25, 2010
Chicago
"fastboot oem lock"
just relock the bootloader and restore to factory settings.... that's all they will check for...
I did relock the bootloader but I still had root. I didn't factory restore yet but would that make a difference?

I just don't want to take it back up there and they find out its rooted.

Sent from my Evo using Swype and Tapatalk!

plmiller0905

Apr 25, 2010
Chicago
Can anyone please help with this? I'm trying to unroot this thing so that I can return it

I relocked the bootloader then did a factory reset and nothing changed..all my apps are still on the phone and the screens are still organized nor did the setup screen appear.

ryude

Jun 19, 2010
USA
You need to use adb to go in the file system and delete all trace of superuser and busybox. That is the only things rooting does, places those files on your phone and changes file permissions. File permissions, they won't look for, but I've had best buy scroll through the app drawer on multiple occasions looking for superuser/rom manager.

I have attached a zip containing all the files needed for adb. Since they no longer package adb with the sdk. Just open command prompt and cd to the directory containing adb. Make sure your phone has Usb Debugging enabled, then connect your phone.

You might need to download usb drivers in order for windows to recognize the device, but probably not. Once your phone is connected, do the following.

Code:
adb devices
adb shell
su
rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm /system/bin/su
rm /system/bin/busybox
rm /system/bin/rootshell
reboot

Attachments

Last edited:

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You need to use adb to go in the file system and delete all trace of superuser and busybox. That is the only things rooting does, places those files on your phone and changes file permissions. File permissions, they won't look for, but I've had best buy scroll through the app drawer on multiple occasions looking for superuser/rom manager.

Code:
su
rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm /system/bin/su
rm /system/bin/busybox
rm /system/bin/rootshell
reboot

Personally, I doubt Best Buy will even check for root. You really think they're that clever at the returns desk? Seriously.

I've never read reports of people saying Best Buy wouldn't take my phone back because it was rooted, but I never looked for them either.

How would they even check for it? You should always factory reset a phone before returning it, so you're not going to have any apps on there where they can open the app drawer and see you've got a root-required app like Root Explorer or SuperUser. They're definitely not going to attach the phone to a computer and poke around with adb.

On top of that, where on the phone's receipt does it say "no refunds on rooted devices"? It doesn't. Let the factory or the open box buyer worry about, however Best Buy disposes of the phone.

I suspect that all they'll do is check the phone for physical damage. They might turn it on to make sure it's still functional, so the fastboot oem lock is a must, just to be safe.

If I were going to return mine, and had your concern, I'd just follow @ryude's instructions; seems less likely to screw things up than messing around with fastbooting an image dump, but both are pretty safe procedures.

Please come back and let us all know exactly how the return process goes for you. What they checked, what they asked. Thanks!

Last edited:

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You need to restore a pre-unlock backup. I'm guessing you didn't bother backing up the phone?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=875184
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9869067#post9869067
How was he supposed to backup the phone before unlocking it? You need clockwork recovery to do a nandroid, don't you? ROM manager requires root to work, right?

This isn't a challenge, just curious how you backed up your phone in a manner that lets you restore a non-rooted image before unlocking and rooting.

Also, this makes me wonder how you get rid of CWM Recovery. Removing su/busybox/root doesn't do it, and fastboot oem lock doesn't. Hmmm, need to research/read up on that.

ryude

Jun 19, 2010
USA
Depends if CWM is built into the kernel or not. If so, just flash stock kernel and you'd have stock recovery again.

If it's the CWM you get from Rom Manager, you can remove it by pressing "Flash to SPRecovery" at the bottom of Rom Manager.

Last edited:

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Depends if CWM is built into the kernel or not. If so, just flash stock kernel and you'd have stock recovery again.

If it's the CWM you get from Rom Manager, you can remove it by pressing "Flash to SPRecovery" at the bottom of Rom Manager.
Reflash the stock recovery image. There's a thread for that file.

Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Okay, thanks guys, you saved me a little searching. Not that I'm interested in doing this, but the original poster wants to remove all indications that he hacked his phone, so this is something he needs to consider.

krumb

Jun 9, 2007
Dallas, TX
sorry...this won't be of any help...but if you can't figure out how to unroot the phone, you shouldn't be rooting it in the first place.

just saying....

good luck with the return, tho.

ryude

Jun 19, 2010
USA
sorry...this won't be of any help...but if you can't figure out how to unroot the phone, you shouldn't be rooting it in the first place.

just saying....

good luck with the return, tho.
I agree, but saying that after the fact doesn't help anyone.

ZeroSX

Jan 28, 2010
Miami
How was he supposed to backup the phone before unlocking it? You need clockwork recovery to do a nandroid, don't you? ROM manager requires root to work, right?

This isn't a challenge, just curious how you backed up your phone in a manner that lets you restore a non-rooted image before unlocking and rooting.

Also, this makes me wonder how you get rid of CWM Recovery. Removing su/busybox/root doesn't do it, and fastboot oem lock doesn't. Hmmm, need to research/read up on that.
Find a stock recovery image and
Code:
fastboot flash recovery stock-recovery.img
Voila.

nxt

Jun 5, 2006
Southern California

I miss this step too, I was just too excited rooting.
Here's how to backup.
First you do the fastboot oem unlock, then you do the fastboot flash clockwork mod.
After that, BAM, boot into clockworkmod, and do a nandroid! That will backup your current stock Android. Save that nandroid backup.
Then you can proceed and actually finish the root.

Then when you want to restore, just boot into clockwork, restore that original nandroid and you have stock android, now just fastboot flash original recovery, then fastboot oem lock to lock the bootloader and that's it. do a wipe, and you're clean.

ryude

Jun 19, 2010
USA
one thing I love about galaxy s phones, we have the easiest recovery. Why did Google/Samsung change something that was so perfect?