Revert to Oreo from Pie

Search This thread
Despite what Reaper1337 said, all ROMs are based on the stock Note 8 firmware, which means all the included SPen functions and features are intact and working. You can't flash S9 ROMs to the Note 8 and I'm not aware of any ROMs that were directly ported from the S9, thereby removing SPen features. All ROMs that are "S9 ports" just bring certain apps and things from the S9 over while still keeping the base Note 8 features intact.

In short: all ROMs will work like the stock firmware, with the exception of the one project which's name I forgot that's essentially stock Android. But it's incompletely and terribly unstable and buggy, so I wouldn't suggest that anyway.

There can be ports of s9, but there aren't
I talked in general

There is lineageos, which doesn't have spen compatibility

gurleendhaliwal

May 26, 2019
Downgrade back to Oreo from pie

Hey guys , i was trying to downgrade my Samsung note 8 SM-N950W ( Build no - N950WVLU5DSD3 ) from pie back to oreo because i want to root it but when i am trying to flash the oreo firmware in odin 1.13.1 it shows an error . Can someone help. Thanks :)

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> Total Binary size: 7605 M
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Last edited:

BluePhnx

Oct 12, 2014
Hey guys , i was trying to downgrade my Samsung note 8 SM-N950W ( Build no - N950WVLU5DSD3 ) from pie back to oreo because i want to root it but when i am trying to flash the oreo firmware in odin 1.13.1 it shows an error . Can someone help. Thanks :)

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> Total Binary size: 7605 M
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

If you want to root your phone you can't anymore!!

You need to be on bootloader ver 3 or below and you are on bootloader ver.5 N950WVLU"5"DSD3 (the "5" is the bootloader ver.) You CAN NOT downgrade to BL ver. 3 the bl ver. 5 prevents it.

Now you can flash back to Oreo firmware that has the same bl. Ver.5 in it but no root.

Reactions: gurleendhaliwal

Vivek Macha

Feb 22, 2018
I am on bootloader version 6

If you want to root your phone you can't anymore!!

You need to be on bootloader ver 3 or below and you are on bootloader ver.5 N950WVLU"5"DSD3 (the "5" is the bootloader ver.) You CAN NOT downgrade to BL ver. 3 the bl ver. 5 prevents it.

Now you can flash back to Oreo firmware that has the same bl. Ver.5 in it but no root.

Is there any way to downgrade back to oreo, I am on bootloader version 6now??
This pie update sucks as battery life is worst.:(

BluePhnx

Oct 12, 2014
Is there any way to downgrade back to oreo, I am on bootloader version 6now??
This pie update sucks as battery life is worst.:(

NO!

You're on bootloader ver 6

Oreo stopped at Bootloader ver 5

Try a factory reset (backup first) to see if the battery life gets better or find out which app is causing the battery issue by uninstalling the app one at a time and waiting in between to see.

IF you want to try to downgrade (because your mad at pie and have nothing better to do) (backup first) do a factory reset first then Odin with the CSC file (not home-CSC) but it probably won't work but at least you'll find out if it does or doesn't.

Let us know the outcome if you try!

I just don't think the note 8 is really built to run on pie nought and oreo run perfectly

This is probably why it was one of the last devices to get it. You can only break so much before it's hard to call it an upgrade

The older devices were significantly taller than wide, but the firmware was built based on a smaller ratio.
They removed custom message wallpaper and forced themes on people, but creation is locked behind an approval.
They replaced the hidden navigation bar with some gesture bar trash that is too easily hit by mistake.
They put a Samsung Pay gesture bar on the bottom of the screen, which interferes with any navigation gestures.

The reality is that Samsung is caught in a petty pissing contest with Apple and everyone suffers for it.

For anyone not impressed by the new navigation options, you can restore the hidden bar.
This will break the hints when using the gestures (but fix the UI in some fullscreen apps)

Enable immersive style (bar hidden with delay):
Code:
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=*

Disable immersive style (bar always shown):
Code:
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.null=*

(Courtesy of "Android Pie removed the full screen little button and I'm very disappointed!")

Last edited:

Min0s

Oct 22, 2014
I tried to downgrade to 8.0 Oreo from stock version N950FXXS7DSG1 without any succes. I manage though to install TWRP, some custom ROMs, but unable to check if bootloader is unlocked. I tried different combinations of older 9.0 Pie stock roms with bootloader version S5, no succes.

Question: There is a way to unlock/flash/downgrade this official bootloader?

I tried to downgrade to 8.0 Oreo from stock version N950FXXS7DSG1 without any succes. I manage though to install TWRP, some custom ROMs, but unable to check if bootloader is unlocked. I tried different combinations of older 9.0 Pie stock roms with bootloader version S5, no succes.

Question: There is a way to unlock/flash/downgrade this official bootloader?

No. There are certain "milestone" bootloaders that prevent downgrading.
Usually it is the first one released in any new Android major version.

Vivek Macha

Feb 22, 2018
Sorry for the late reply, No it did not work.

NO!

Try a factory reset (backup first) to see if the battery life gets better or find out which app is causing the battery issue by uninstalling the app one at a time and waiting in between to see.

IF you want to try to downgrade (because your mad at pie and have nothing better to do) (backup first) do a factory reset first then Odin with the CSC file (not home-CSC) but it probably won't work but at least you'll find out if it does or doesn't.

Tried flashing only the CSC file did not work, tried to flash oreo boot loader did not work.
There is only one way to get Android Oreo back ,To unlock boot loader ,flash TWRP & AND install custom ROM.
I used [Note 8][Oreo][S9+ Port][01-Jan-2020][v30] LightROM.
ROM link click here https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-8/development/rom-lightrom-t3768385
My Device Info :- SM-N950F (EXYNOS).

Reactions: BluePhnx

Savi101

I downgrade to this version n950fxxs5csb3 without problem, all working perfect and in this version dont have the update notification to pie

Just make sure to full wipe your device and use de csc file, not the home scs; by that way will make a full erase into the proces to device

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Can i downgrade this, thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210209-040833_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210209-040833_Settings.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 28

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The thread below claims "Pie Call Recording Working"

It is not something that I have used or even looked into, hopefully it will help you...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-8/how-to/pie-call-recording-wip-t3905737

It does work,tried it,used INS.
    Only thing was there was no 'choice' to do a recording.
    You either have to record all or just certain numbers.
    There was no 'start' recording button,at least not in the rom I used,stock/standard default UK rom.
    May be it is different feature if flash different rom or different csc like THL maybe?

Also inserting and booting with a sim that has call recording feature,INS-India,THL-Thailand works.
    Basically does the same as the link.

I also flashed oreo but couldn't stop the update nag so just let it update back to pie.
    Did I do something wrong?

You have updated to bootloader ver. 6
    N950FXXU "6" DSE3

OERO stopped at bootloader ver. 5
    N950FXXS "5" DSC2

Their is nothing you can do to downgrade now! The bootloader 6 won't allow itself to be downgraded to ver. 5 only will go UP in ver. 7, 8, etc....
    Thanks for the advice. I really want the phone recording capability back that got disabled with the Pie update. You wouldn't happen to know of a workaround to make phone recording work again on Android 9?

The thread below claims "Pie Call Recording Working"

It is not something that I have used or even looked into, hopefully it will help you...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-8/how-to/pie-call-recording-wip-t3905737
    There isn't a way to wipe the entire phone?
    This sucks big time.
    Can I at least still root my phone?

You are stuck with that bootloader. No way around it.

Yes you can still root. Just make sure you know what you will lose by doing so, like Samsung pay and secure folder, will never ever get these back as it trips the Efuse (it would require a motherboard replacement to fix)
    Sorry for the late reply, No it did not work.

NO!

Tried flashing only the CSC file did not work, tried to flash oreo boot loader did not work.
    There is only one way to get Android Oreo back ,To unlock boot loader ,flash TWRP & AND install custom ROM.
    I used [Note 8][Oreo][S9+ Port][01-Jan-2020][v30] LightROM.
    ROM link click here https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-8/development/rom-lightrom-t3768385
    My Device Info :- SM-N950F (EXYNOS).