[Review] CHOETECH USB Type-C Charger, 3-Port for a total of 39W

Search This thread

tkdsl

XDA TV Producer / Portal Team / Forum Leader
Jul 12, 2007
Los Angeles
www.tktechbay.com
I have seem many accessories from Choetech that answer the USB-C need for a charger and I have the wall adapter that they provide.
But recently i saw the 3 port charger that can charge the Nexus 6P for me and two more devices at the same time.

This is something that I have been stuck with when I travel and I have to bring a separate charger for my nexus 6P.

Enter recently when I revived for review a set of chargers and a Type C cable to check out.

I put together a video for the review.

Hope you guys like it.

I think we need more chargers that support both standards and not one for each separately.

thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20160215_044615.jpg
    IMG_20160215_044615.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 907
  • IMG_20160215_132943.jpg
    IMG_20160215_132943.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 905
Reactions: zanoli99

lemmyslender

Aug 12, 2010
I was looking for a nice charger for travelling that would support both my 6P and Nexus 7. I ran across an earlier post on this charger and decided to give it a try. I was fortunate enough to get a discount code from Choetech for the charger and some c-c type cables.

The charger is very nice looking, and well packaged. It has a blue led that is not overly bright. Flip out prongs make it nice for traveling. However, the prongs are located about a 1/3 of the way down the body. Potentially this can block the other plug on the outlet (or up to 3 on a power strip). Only the charger is included in the package, no cords are provided.

I used it charge a 6P (27%), Nexus 7 2013 (25%), and a Nexus 5 (45%) at the same time (all on 6.0.1). Using Ampere, the Nexus 6P topped out just over 2.8A, the Nexus 5 just over 1A, and the Nexus 7 just under 1A. Switching cords, ports, and/or removing devices did not impact the charging levels. Using a different charger on the Nexus 7 (also of the 2.4A variety) did not increase the charging rate per Ampere (in fact, it was a bit less).

Although I didn’t time the charging rates, both the 6P and the 5 indicated around 45 minutes to 100% charge (about 20 minutes left once I stopped playing with them). This is certainly in-line with the stock charger on the 6P. The 6P screen indicated rapid charging, both the 5 and 7 indicated charging. While charging all 3 devices, the charger got warm to the touch but not hot. I did not notice any buzzing or other unusual noises from the charger.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with it. Although I couldn’t get the full charging rates, it didn’t fluctuate when removing or adding devices. I suspect it will charge at or near the full rates without any issues. It’s nice and compact for travelling, and should also work nice as a daily charger to reduce clutter. My only complaint is the location of the prongs. If they rotated 90 degrees so that the charger wouldn’t block other outlets, it would be perfect.

I also purchased (at a discount) a 2 pack of type c - c cords. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AXUASOO The cords appear to be well made, not as heavy duty as some, but not cheaply made either. I used one of the cords when charging my 6P, and got very close to the same charging rate as using the Google supplied cord. The plastic around the plug isn’t oversized and shouldn’t present any problems while using cases with smaller cutouts. The only downside to these cords is that they seem to require slightly more force to unplug than other cords I’ve used. This may or may not improve over time, but I don’t feel it’s enough force that it would damage the phone or charger.

Haul

Aug 16, 2012
I almost bought this a few weeks ago before realizing:
1) Choetech claims that this can be used for charging MacBooks. The lack of USB PD and max of 5V and 3A means it is way too underpowered to charge a MacBook in a reasonable amount of time. Their advertising is deceitful.
2) Their 1 port charger overheats and makes humming noises. Undoubtedly the result of poor manufacturing and/or design.
3) In the photo of their product on Amazon, the Type-C port is quite clearly bent. You can tell that the metal connector on the cable is inline with the plastic jacket on the cable, meaning that the cable itself is straight but the port on the charger is bent. I can't say if this was a manufacturing defect or if Choetech's marketing team abused the Type-C port before taking a photo, but either way it just looks unacceptable.
DHWOxnh.png

initial_k

Feb 25, 2011
It's perfect for what I needed....which was to charge my Nexus 6 Phone and a Samsung Tablet and also Samsung Note 5. With a USB-C to USB-C cable, I was able to charge my Nexus quickly about the same rate as the OEM. Using a USB-C to USB-A cable, the charge speed isn't that great. Also it's pretty big so it took up two power socket on the wall. I like that the prongs are fordable, which makes it compact enough for travel.

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
I wouldn't recommend ANYTHING from that company. They cut corners in their engineering department. and don't make things right while using YOU as a beta tester to their beta products. After frying 2 of my phones with their QC2.0 chargers, i still gave them another shot when Type C chargers came out. After 5+ replacements, the over heating and humming continued. They kept emailing me and sending me free replacements that i didn't ask for in hopes i would give them a better review on amazon. NO THANKS.

It might work, today, tomorrow, or a few days. but just know that deep inside their product, something isn't right. they know it. yet they keep selling them and hiding behind the majority of early reviews on amazon. all the products i got from them are in the trash. i paid full price with my own money, i wasn't one of their free reviewers or discounted buyers for an honest review.

l_stevens

Sep 3, 2013
I have a different experience. I was actually going to write a positive review about this product in March, but hesitated after reading the above, and decided to test further. I have now used it daily for an additional 1 1/2 months. For me, the product works flawlessly. It is as fast as the stock charger. But, what I really like about it is the foldable plug, and the additional (2) USB Ports. This makes it ideal for my office and travel use. As I said, I use it daily, and have had NO issues with noise or overheating. Maybe some of the other reviewers were using early releases. All I can say, is mine works flawlessly, and I would (and probably will) buy it again.

cabstrak

May 1, 2011
www.gositus.com
Those using this charger, how has it been? I recently ordered this charger and I'm worried because while there are mostly positive review, there's a single review that says the charger melted his cable when he was charging his Nexus 7. He posted the issue to reddit (a quick search would bring it up) and someone else said his 5X was damaged.

Now I'm actually scared I'll damage my devices too.

Now I know there are no perfect chargers or one-charger-to-rule-them-all, and I understand crap happens, maybe they were just unlucky and had a defective product.

I'd much rather get a defective product that stopped working instead of a defective product that has the potential of damaging my device.

But I'd like to hear from more people using this charger. How has it been? Both the USB C and the USB A ports and overall charging experience.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have seem many accessories from Choetech that answer the USB-C need for a charger and I have the wall adapter that they provide.
    But recently i saw the 3 port charger that can charge the Nexus 6P for me and two more devices at the same time.

This is something that I have been stuck with when I travel and I have to bring a separate charger for my nexus 6P.

Enter recently when I revived for review a set of chargers and a Type C cable to check out.

I put together a video for the review.

Hope you guys like it.

I think we need more chargers that support both standards and not one for each separately.

thank you
    Here are the links to the items in the video.

USB-C to USB-C cable
    http://amzn.to/1Ossc7i

USB Type C Charger, CHOETECH 39W 3-Port
    http://amzn.to/224B9xv

USB Type-C Quick Charge 2.0
    http://amzn.to/1Oh6R2n