[Review] Dinc4G in comparison with the Dinc2

Search This thread

litetaker

Dec 2, 2011
London
Google Pixel 2
There are somethings that just blew my mind away, when it came to Dinc4G over the Dinc2 and I was very happy with the new phone. Then, there are some things that I find a bit annoying in comparison with the Dinc2 and I feel there were several design issues.

The performance is exceptional, with Stock Sense 4.1 being super smooth. I can't believe this is how Sense 4 is supposed to be like, and the Sense 4 ROMs on the Dinc2 haven't prepared me enough for the buttery smooth performance here... And apps run fast. Then there is the 4G, which is the first time I actually tasted it, and boy oh boy do I feel like I am in the 21st century. No more having to yell at the screen while 3G takes forever to load some web pages. Now, I may ACTUALLY use some of my data plan rather than running to wifi.

I like the fact that the phone is narrower and that the screen has the 16:9 aspect ratio. Further the camera is much nicer than the Dinc2 camera, both stills and video. However, it is kinda lame that the senor makes that aweful noise when focusing. Is that supposed to be cool? That makes such a pop in the recorded video. Luckily, I don't record video on my phone, like ever.

The negative aspects are:
1) Due to the way SD card is accessed, many apps, including Google Music, can't see my data from the SD card. I cannot figure out how to make Google Music app see music available on the External SD card.
2) The notification LED is not in the speaker grill but behind the glass. That is not a problem, however, the notification LED appears to be substantially dimmer than on the Dinc2. It is so subtle that many times in the day time, I can't see the amber light glowing. And even at night, the LED is way too subtle, unless you see it perpendicular to the screen.
3) The build quality is definitely subpar. The back is much like the Dinc2, but the front is Plastic, glossy one at that. I already noticed very minor blemishes on the finish of this glossy plastic. The metal on the Dinc2, on the other hand, took a lot of beating before showing signs of wear. And might I add, that piece of metal is immune to cracks or dents unless you want it to break.
4) HTC messed up with the hardware button idea. They should have either gone for 4 hardware buttons (an extra button for menu) or simply gone the software button route. They decided to go for the 3 hardware, 1 software button. Sheesh. Many apps including games render a pointless software button wasting precious space on the screen.

On the other hand, the headphone jack is better designed compared to the Dinc2. In the Dinc2, my earphones constantly unplugged in my pocket, but here the earphone jack fits in very tightly and securely. So, that is one definite plus.

Apart from a random reboot, and some software design flaws, there seems to be no problem with this phone thus far. It is so smooth and good that I don't care for any ROMs except for some tweaks to Sense 4 like toggles etc. This shows how far ahead Android jumped from GB to ICS and finally justifies the scenario of not caring for updates anymore. A phone that I can see myself using stock for a long time to come!

Rant mode off.

MJL99

Apr 9, 2010
Akron, Ohio
i dont have any problem with google music accessing the albums on my sd card. i did uninstall the updates when i first got it and redownloaded and it picked up all my files just fine. i think this is an issue with google music because a lot of people had issues on the inc 2 as well with it finding their music on the sd card.

i agree with the metal bezel on the inc being better quality. that thing was tough, this plastic already has dents in it and i havent dropped it at all. i also hate the weak notification led and that its barely able to be seen. i do not like the wake button compared to the inc 2. i have to hit it multiple times once in a while before it wakes or turns the screen off.

i had no problems with my headphone jack on the inc 2. it was always snug. the inc 4g is no different for me.

litetaker

Dec 2, 2011
London
Google Pixel 2
i dont have any problem with google music accessing the albums on my sd card. i did uninstall the updates when i first got it and redownloaded and it picked up all my files just fine. i think this is an issue with google music because a lot of people had issues on the inc 2 as well with it finding their music on the sd card.

i agree with the metal bezel on the inc being better quality. that thing was tough, this plastic already has dents in it and i havent dropped it at all. i also hate the weak notification led and that its barely able to be seen. i do not like the wake button compared to the inc 2. i have to hit it multiple times once in a while before it wakes or turns the screen off.

i had no problems with my headphone jack on the inc 2. it was always snug. the inc 4g is no different for me.

Yes. The power button was another thing I wanted to mention. It seems to be very difficult and awkward to press... I should reinstall Google Music or something.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are somethings that just blew my mind away, when it came to Dinc4G over the Dinc2 and I was very happy with the new phone. Then, there are some things that I find a bit annoying in comparison with the Dinc2 and I feel there were several design issues.

The performance is exceptional, with Stock Sense 4.1 being super smooth. I can't believe this is how Sense 4 is supposed to be like, and the Sense 4 ROMs on the Dinc2 haven't prepared me enough for the buttery smooth performance here... And apps run fast. Then there is the 4G, which is the first time I actually tasted it, and boy oh boy do I feel like I am in the 21st century. No more having to yell at the screen while 3G takes forever to load some web pages. Now, I may ACTUALLY use some of my data plan rather than running to wifi.

I like the fact that the phone is narrower and that the screen has the 16:9 aspect ratio. Further the camera is much nicer than the Dinc2 camera, both stills and video. However, it is kinda lame that the senor makes that aweful noise when focusing. Is that supposed to be cool? That makes such a pop in the recorded video. Luckily, I don't record video on my phone, like ever.

The negative aspects are:
    1) Due to the way SD card is accessed, many apps, including Google Music, can't see my data from the SD card. I cannot figure out how to make Google Music app see music available on the External SD card.
    2) The notification LED is not in the speaker grill but behind the glass. That is not a problem, however, the notification LED appears to be substantially dimmer than on the Dinc2. It is so subtle that many times in the day time, I can't see the amber light glowing. And even at night, the LED is way too subtle, unless you see it perpendicular to the screen.
    3) The build quality is definitely subpar. The back is much like the Dinc2, but the front is Plastic, glossy one at that. I already noticed very minor blemishes on the finish of this glossy plastic. The metal on the Dinc2, on the other hand, took a lot of beating before showing signs of wear. And might I add, that piece of metal is immune to cracks or dents unless you want it to break.
    4) HTC messed up with the hardware button idea. They should have either gone for 4 hardware buttons (an extra button for menu) or simply gone the software button route. They decided to go for the 3 hardware, 1 software button. Sheesh. Many apps including games render a pointless software button wasting precious space on the screen.

On the other hand, the headphone jack is better designed compared to the Dinc2. In the Dinc2, my earphones constantly unplugged in my pocket, but here the earphone jack fits in very tightly and securely. So, that is one definite plus.

Apart from a random reboot, and some software design flaws, there seems to be no problem with this phone thus far. It is so smooth and good that I don't care for any ROMs except for some tweaks to Sense 4 like toggles etc. This shows how far ahead Android jumped from GB to ICS and finally justifies the scenario of not caring for updates anymore. A phone that I can see myself using stock for a long time to come!

Rant mode off.