[Review] iOcean X9, 5.0 inch FHD, 64-Bit MT6752 Octa Core 1.7 GHz, 4G LTE, 3GB/16GB

Search This thread

MacArthur67

Aug 17, 2014
Gothenburg
If you ask me I have nothing really new to report. My X9 test phone is with iOcean in Shenzhen for a check-up or repair/exchange now. Also there is no new LP Beta or release firmwre out yet. As soon as there are any major news about the X9 I will write about it here in this thread. Subscribe to the thread so that you get an email notification when someone post something here, if you are interested. Also use the quote function if you ask a certain person something. :)

Reactions: gigiunu

gigiunu

Jul 18, 2014
Constanta
Ok, thanks for the info. Disappointed by my new phone Xiaomi Mi4i, i was thinking to sell it and buy iOcean X9, but i have to wait good news from you...

Friday2015

Sep 2, 2015
Slick phone - Lousy hardware

Anybody has issues with the following with this extremely good looking phone ?

1. Device so hot that you can't actually hold it while playing or charging
2.Screen messages that you should turn off the device because its hot.
3. Unstuck monitor from the chassis. (Had this happen on day 3)
4. Back cover cracked. One crack from top up to top down and one other from the speaker to the far left. Glass is too thin. Usage is under everyday office usage (it sits on the desk and travels in my office bag) This was the usage for every other phone I had for the last decade, but it is the first to experience such major problem.

I ll contact iocean as well to figure what is going on.

Other than that its a very fast phone with great display (even unstuck) and great sound.

I have the black one if that matters somehow

MacArthur67

Aug 17, 2014
Gothenburg

4. Back cover cracked. One crack from top up to top down and one other from the speaker to the far left. Glass is too thin. Usage is under everyday office usage (it sits on the desk and travels in my office bag) This was the usage for every other phone I had for the last decade, but it is the first to experience such major problem.

Other than that its a very fast phone with great display (even unstuck) and great sound.

Yes, I had most of your problems, but I sent my phone back to iOcean for "repair" long time ago.
What firmware are you on and where did you buy it?
The only thing to do while waiting for a working LP firmware is to stay on the latest KK and downclock it and/or change thermal policy. If you don't know how to do that I will post instructions here within a few days when I get my X9 back. It's on the way from China now. I have the instruction ready but I want to include some screen dumps on what the method does to the temperatures. I already tried it in another device (Ecoo E04) and it works well. The performance drop isn't too terrible either as the GPU stays at 700 MHz even if you downclock the CPU/bus.
Or maybe you need to send yours back for repair also?
You can contact iOcean but they will deny that they have any problems with overheating, despite the fact that they obviously have serious overheating problems with their MT6752 devices, X9 and M6752. This is a fact that they try to cover up as much as possible, but all X9 and most M6752 I know of have the same problems with overheating, warning messages and screens popping out because of the excessive heat.
In fact this isn't only an iOcean problem. It seems to hit several brands MT6752 devices. Possibly it's related to the same OEM factory (known as "Alps" in some device settings and fw version names). Or MediaTek have some general problem with the MT6752 SoC, I'm not sure yet.
If you register in iOcean's support group on Facebook, one of the admins in the group (R. S.) will probably censor your messages and ultimately ban you from the group if you say anything about overheating iOcean devices, or criticize his ignorant, hypocritical style and poor knowledge. Try! ;)
I'll be back with the follow up on my review soon.

Last edited:

Friday2015

Sep 2, 2015
I wrote to iocean support through their site yesterday and I am waiting for an answer. Actually I am not keen on doing anything else in the phone now other than returning it in order to repair its cracked back and unstuck monitor.

Did they charged you for the repairs ? Where did you send it, can you share an address with me ? How long did it take to be repaired and come back ?

Thanks.

gigiunu

Jul 18, 2014
Constanta
I read that iocean just retired the 'x9' model due to hardware and software issues... If you see that X9 has dissappear from the market from months ago it seems to be truly that news...

MacArthur67

Aug 17, 2014
Gothenburg
I wrote to iocean support through their site yesterday and I am waiting for an answer. Actually I am not keen on doing anything else in the phone now other than returning it in order to repair its cracked back and unstuck monitor.

Did they charged you for the repairs ? Where did you send it, can you share an address with me ? How long did it take to be repaired and come back ?

Thanks.

If you bought your phone in any webstore then that store holds the warranty responsibility and iOcean won't take any responsibility for it. They will just direct you to that store to escape the responsibility. If you bought it in a street store in HK or on AliExpress for example, then you have a problem I think. Maybe you can get it repaired by iOcean if you send them an email on [email protected], but you probably have to pay for it. If you bought it from a dealer with any kind of warranty, that dealer will take it back for repair, weather it's a warranty issue or not. Then to escape import tax (high in China) and high shipping cost they will want you to send it with normal airmail. From EU that takes minimum 2 weeks. Any parcel I have sent that way sits at least one week for domestic clearence in the Beijing customs. Then depending on what the dealer does to your phone several weeks can pass by. Then if the dealer decides to send it further to iOcean they will need 2-4 weeks for the repair, according to information I got from one dealer. All together you can count on at least 2 months before you have it back. Probably more. In my case for the X9 I only pay for the shipping back to China (~18€), not the repair.

MacArthur67

Aug 17, 2014
Gothenburg
I read that iocean just retired the 'x9' model due to hardware and software issues... If you see that X9 has dissappear from the market from months ago it seems to be truly that news...
Yes I have seen the same rumour. There are also rumours about that they have been bought up by another bigger brand. From official side they say they have been on "vacation" for a month and then they are "restructuring" at the moment. That's all a smoke screen of course as Chinese companies don't close down a month for summer holiday. If they close for vacation it's for a week or two around the Chinese New Year in January and February. Something fishy is going on and both the X9 and the M6752 models have serious hardware problems. However, many (all?) brands seems to have problems with their devices based on the MT6752 SoC. Overheating and no working Lollipop yet half a year after that the devices were introduced as LP devices on the market.

bar1

Sep 16, 2008
I am busy testing 5.1 beta (because lets face it...it's the best version we gonna get).
it doesn't come with gapps and i really been struggling to install it.

can anyone assist?
what version on play services should i be using?

MacArthur67

Aug 17, 2014
Gothenburg
is there a way to install a recovery tool on it?
There is a stock recovery in it. I got rid of my X9 fortunately and I suppose no one else would be interested in developing a CWM or TWRP for the X9 now. Not many were sold before the company went bankrupt. I suggest that you downclock it quite a lot if you want to make it work. Also it doesn't have any thermal protection. For similar MT6752 devices I have successfully edited/changed the thermal policy in MTK Engineer mode. Change from user build to eng (engineer) build in build.prop first.

bar1

Sep 16, 2008
Hi everyone,

My iocean stopped working completely after a failed firmware update.
It won't even charge, I tried to follow the advice on:
https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-808.html
but the phone is still not charging.

I took it to a lab, and they were too scared to open it saying they might not be able to put the cover back on, 50/50 chance.

does anyone have any advice for me?
Did anyone try to open the back cover?does it break in the process?
is there a place i can get a back cover that will ship internationally (i see it on maxbhi,but they wont ship it outside India/US)?

MacArthur67

Aug 17, 2014
Gothenburg
Hi everyone,

My iocean stopped working completely after a failed firmware update.
It won't even charge, I tried to follow the advice on:
https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-808.html
but the phone is still not charging.

I took it to a lab, and they were too scared to open it saying they might not be able to put the cover back on, 50/50 chance.

does anyone have any advice for me?
Did anyone try to open the back cover?does it break in the process?
is there a place i can get a back cover that will ship internationally (i see it on maxbhi,but they wont ship it outside India/US)?

What type of fw update did you do? SP_Flash_Tool? If it doesn't even charge it sounds like a preloader error unfortunately. After flashing a wrong preloader, or if something goes wrong while flashing it (if you for example disconnect the cable at this stage), your phone might become completely dead. It can’t be powered on, it will not charge and it won’t be detected by the computer anymore, and there is no way to recover it by yourself. You would have to send it back to iOcean but the company doesn't exist any more. Sorry.

xackerz

Nov 8, 2012
So bad phone support. Firmware with bugs and defect parts. Same story with my iOcean X7. -_-

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT September 17 2015: ATTENTION!
    Don't buy this phone unless you get it almost for free.
    My initial review of the X9, which is no longer valid, comes first in the text below.
    See the edits at the end for details.

This review is based on my experience with one of the first regular production samples of the iOcean X9. It is not supposed to be a pre-production sample, but in some ways it behaves like that. The Android 4.4.4 it came with isn’t ready developed for the hardware and it probably never will be. I guess that the company is concentrating on developing the Lollipop rom for it instead. I suspect that iOcean were in a hurry to get this phone on the market and pushed it out too early on an unfinished Kitkat, instead of waiting for a well working Lollipop. It’s a pity because this phone has a lot of potential and deserves a better rom!

Firmware version: X9_20150608-192523

Despite the buggy Kitkat rom I have done many tests and made many observations in the phone. I could rewrite my notes to a regular short review in a wordier format, but in order to be able to come back here and add more information later on, I keep the text in a notelike form. Refer to the edits at the end of this post for updates. I attach some screen dumps of some of the tests I have done. More screen dumps and links to camera test photos etc. will probably come in a later edit.

NOTE:
    There will be a part 2 of this review as soon as I have a final release LP rom in the phone. It’s not really fair to review it entirely on a buggy KK or LP Beta.

2.jpg

thumb_3524_default_big.jpeg

Specs:
    • 5.0” LCD, 1920 x 1080 pixels FHD screen
    • CPU: MTK6752 Octa Core, 1.7GHz; GPU: Mali-T760
    • Android 4.4.4 OS (will get Android 5.x soon)
    • 3GB RAM + 16GB ROM
    • Dual SIM card, dual standby, micro SIM slot + nano SIM slot
    • Front camera 5 MP, back camera 13 MP with flashlight and auto focus
    • Support FDD+TDD LTE/4G/3G/GPS/Wifi/Bluetooth/Miracast/OTG
    • Networking:

2G: GSM BAND 850/900/1800/1900

3G: TD-SCDMA BAND 1900/2100, WCDMA BAND 900/1900/2100

4G: FDD-LTE BAND 800/1800/2600, TDD-LTE BAND 1800/2300/2600

Design
    This phone is thin. Very thin! 6.6 mm in my measurement (specs say 6.5 mm). It also feels very solid and a bit heavy despite the thinness (or maybe due to?). The weight is 145 g (specs say 140 g) but I think it feels heavier, in a good way. The design is very nice. It looks like a tall and very slim iPhone 4. The build quality and the quality feel is very high for the price, but a little bit lower then in a Huawei P8 for example. The texture of the metal frame and the opening for the speaker on the backside don’t give that premium feeling you could wish for. Also the buttons feels a little bit below premium. But for the price the quality feel is really excellent. The power button is in the middle on the right side, below the volume rocker. I don’t like this position as it’s too easy to accidentally switch on or off the phone just by holding it, but it seems standard in many new phones now.

Screen
    The screen is excellent. It’s rather bright and vivid and it has good viewing angles. Generally I think that FHD is a bit overkill on a 5” screen. 1280 x 720 pixels is enough “retina” on a 5” screen and a good HD screen is better than a not so good FHD screen, but this is a really good FHD screen. I honestly didn’t expect that for the price.

Cameras
    The main camera has a 13 MP Sony Exmor RS IMX214 sensor, which is a well-known and acclaimed sensor that is used in for example Xiaomi Mi4, OnePlus One and Vivo XShot. The camera is excellent and works very well even in low-light. It starts fast, focuses fast, has high sensitivity, little colour crosstalk and most of all the HDR function is really fast (important if you can’t hold the camera really still, or for moving objects). That’s all very rare in Chinese phones no matter what price range they are in. In fact this is the best camera I have ever seen in any Chinese phone (I haven't tried the ones in OnePlus One and Vivo XShot myself). The only little problem I had with the camera is to lock the focus on a certain object in the view by tapping on the screen and get the focus to stay there until I have time to make the shot. Probably that is software related.
    The front camera is a Chinese 5 MP OmniVision OV5648. It’s also quite good and it’s even capable of capturing 720p HD video at 60 fps and 1080p HD video at 30 fps.

Performance
    The phone is fast, but not as fast as I thought it would be, maybe due to the buggy rom. I get a score of ~37000 in AnTuTu 5.7.1. In Geekbench 3 I get ~4000 in multi-core score, which is almost twice as much as in the MT6732 devices. But as they say in the AnTuTu test, ”many apps only can use one core”, and the single-core score is 810, which is only ~10% better than in a MT6732. In Basemark OS II I get an overall score of 854, which is ~+50% faster than a FHD MT6592 device on Kitkat. In the graphics benchmark in Epic Citadel I get ~40 fps in average in Ultra High Quality mode.
    However, the phone is running a buggy 32-bit Kitkat on a 64-bit SoC and I expect the performance to go up a bit once iOcean has put out a final release Lollipop upgrade for it.
    Web browsing is fast and the Sunspider 1.0.2 test finishes in ~910 ms in Chrome and ~780 ms in the stock browser (yes the old stock browser is faster than Chrome). The MT6752 seems to be only ~10-15% faster in the Sunspider test than a MT6732, which corresponds to the +10% better single-core score in Geekbench 3. As a reference, my reference phone, an iPhone 6, only need ~330 ms to finish the sunspider test.

Network
    4G LTE is really very fast in this phone and I didn’t know how fast download speeds my 4G network was capable of until I got this phone. The phone must have high sensitivity and a really fast 4G modem. Probably it’s true as they say in the specs that it can handle download speeds up to 150 Mb/s. I get over 100 Mb/s down and 27 Mb/s up. In comparison the up speed is a bit low, but that's probably limited by the network, since I only get a few percent higher up speed in my reference phone (and a lot lower down speed at the same time).

WiFi
    The wifi has good sensitivity and it measures almost the same signal level in average in WiFi Analyzer as my reference in that, an 8” Xiaomi MiPad (tabs can have much larger antennas). Even on a very remote wifi the X9 and the tab measures the same signal level.

GPS
    The GPS is also excellent. It locks in fast and I have never seen so many satellites in view and in use in GPS Test before. In my tests outside my house it sees 21 satellites and use 20, with a 3D fix accuracy of 1 m.

Battery
    The battery run time is actually quite good, despite the relatively low capacity battery (2050 mAh), FHD screen and 8-core CPU. It manages to stand the Geekbench 3 battery test for 5 h and 10 min, with a battery score of 3100. The run time and score will definitely increase after a few charges, but already the runtime and score is ~50% better than an iPhone 6 (sorry for the iPhone references but it makes sense I think).

Sound
    The sound quality in phone calls is really good and the volume is more than enough. The built in speaker on the backside is useless for music (as usual in phones), but good for phone calls. Also here the maximum volume is more then enough in an office environment. The sound quality in high quality earphones is very high, provided that you switch off the BesSurround function which is on by default. The sound volume is more than enough in good earphones (high sensitivity).

Root
    The phone comes unrooted, but it becomes rooted with just a switch in Settings -> Security -> Superuser. In the Superuser setting you can control which apps you have given superuser privileges to. Basically it works in much the same way as SuperSU. Brilliant! Reason enough to buy the phone just for that as soon as it comes with a LP rom. Also there is no bloatware at all installed.

Launcher
    The launcher is the CyanogenMod Trebuchet. I’m not sure how and why it ended up in this phone because the phone is not on CM and unlike in CM the launcher can’t be configured in any way in this phone, except the scroll effect between desktop screens, but not between drawer screens. The launcher works well but it’s a waste of a nice FHD screen to only have 5 rows and 4 columns of icons on the desktop and in the drawer and not be able to change that. Hopefully there will be a better launcher in the Lollipop rom.

Dual SIM?
    The phone is a dual SIM and dual standby phone, but that's only partly true since one sim slot is a combined SIM/SD slot. Users have to choose between dual SIM standby or single SIM and extended memory, and with only 16 GB storage I would classify this phone as single SIM.

To be continued…

__________EDIT_1___________
    I have received an email from an iocean representatve saying:
    This problems should be related to the ROM. We have a new ROM update (for 4.4 software) that should be able to solve the problems of your iocean X9. We have already released the iocean X9 Beta version of android 5.1, and we should have a new update for it soon.

Please find below the iocean X9 update link. You can download it and upgrade the ROM, this needs to be done through PC.

https://mega.co.nz/#!fp9HwKDA!T2mqzWsAOaNSWGLomRqMEmNXnE_zuTY9tSweTZRsdSA
    I have flashed the rom in the link above and it brought the firmware in my phone from version X9_20150608-192523 to X9_20150624-143035.
    However, it didn't change things much. This rom feels a little bit more stable, but the phone is still not stable. Often when I stress it with something CPU or GPU intense, the phone reboots. In the previous rom I had to force reboot it by holding the on button pressed for 10 seconds in the same situation, which might be an improvement, I'm not sure.

__________EDIT_2___________
    I tried the Lollipop beta 20150618 with no better result than with the two previous KK roms and I start to believe that the phone has some hardware issue. I used the EngineerMode to switch on the MTKLogger and then stressed the phone to freeze two times. Then I tried to analyze the log files and figure out what's causing the stability problems. However, I'm no expert and can't really figure out what's causing the crash. The engineers at iOcean asked for the log files and they have them now. I'm currently waiting for their result.

__________EDIT_3___________
    Yesterday, September 16, 4 months after I purchased this phone I got it back from "repair" from the dealer. It took 2 weeks for it to reach the dealer, and then they held it for a while before they sent it "to the factory", whatever that means. Small brands like iOcean have no factories by themselves, it's just a brand name and an office with a few employees. After the so called repair at the so called factory, the dealer got the phone back and according to themselves, their QC people took care of it and tested it before they sent it to me. All together it took 2 months for this warranty service.
    However, the phone is exactly as faulty as when I sent it back for repair. It froze completely at first AnTuTu test and had to be force restarted by pressing powerbutton for 10s. The phone has an obvious hardware error but they didn't open the phone to change any components. All they did was to flash a fresh firmware to it and change the CPU governor and I/O handler. Probably in some belief that it would cool down the phone a bit and get rid of some of the overheating problems, as if that would help much when the max clock freq. still is 1.69 GHz. Changing governor, thermal policy and max clock freq. could have saved this phone from breaking when it was new maybe, but now it obviously have some hardware problem and the dealer did nothing about that when they had it.
    To make things extremely much more complicated the iOcean company went bankrupt in July. The rumour has it that they will restructure the company and make a come back, but I'm not so sure. And even if they will be back it's very uncertain if they will support previously relased models at all. The X9 never got the LP firmware it was supposed to have before the company went bankrupt. Not a working KK either.
    As an edit on top of this long post I add a warning to buy this phone because: 1. The KK fw it comes with is a disaster. 2. The LP Beta is a disaster. 3. iOcean went bankrupt. 4. There will probably never be an official well working KK or LP fw for this phone. 5. Even with good fw it would overheat a lot unless the clock freq. is lowered a lot.

__________EDIT_4___________
    I have now sent this phone back for good to where I got it from. If some other misfortunate X9 owner wants to take over this thread please PM me. Otherwise I will close this thread soon. I'm through with with this device.
    can you tell me where did you buy it and how much you paid for?
    I was looking for it, but nowhere is in stock...
    I don't want to say how I got it at this stage, but it's an official production phone and not a pre-series phone. I know that Geekbuying had it for pre-orders before @ $249, but they seem to have pulled it off for orders now. Maybe it's not out for pre-orders any more because of the problems I'm also experiencing. I mean I'm not the only one who got one of the first regular production X9's.
    At present I'm having a direct contact with iocean about the problems I'm experiencing with my phone. I'm thinking that if the problem is software related, it has something to do with the thermal management. It freezes and reboots when it gets stressed and consequently a bit hot. But of course that sounds more like a hardware problem.
    It's up to you if you want to take the risk and buy it from some less known source, but make sure you get some warranty then. You have read my review so you know that it could be a fantastic phone without the freezes and reboots that I'm experiencing.
    thanks for reply...
    i just replaced my Jiayu G5S with an Xiaomi MI 4i black and there's no differences between them, max speed on H+ is under 7 Mbps... If i put my sim in other regulary phone i can get easily ~27 Mbps.
    So, i keep an eye to this iOCEAN x9 , i like it and probabily i'll buy it when it get a good firmware.
    I don't think it will be long before the LP firmware will be out in official release form. A few weeks at the most. The bug-/to-do list isn't very long at the moment.

Off topic:
    I had a Mi4i to test for a while and it had the WCDMA 850 and 2100 bands. The 850 band is only used in Asia as far as I know. In Europe it's 900/2100 everywhere I think. Can it be that your network has a higher speed on 900 MHz than on 2100 MHz? Then your Mi4i is partly incompatible with your network. There are probably different versions of the Mi4i for different markets. Mine was bought in Thailand and they have 850/2100. The JiaYu G5S don't have HSPA+.
    If you ask me I have nothing really new to report. My X9 test phone is with iOcean in Shenzhen for a check-up or repair/exchange now. Also there is no new LP Beta or release firmwre out yet. As soon as there are any major news about the X9 I will write about it here in this thread. Subscribe to the thread so that you get an email notification when someone post something here, if you are interested. Also use the quote function if you ask a certain person something. :)
    Slick phone - Lousy hardware