• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[REVIEW] KiDiGi Wireless Charging Dock for Google New Nexus 7 (2013)

Search This thread

wkearney99

Dec 19, 2007
Bethesda, MD
Does thi dock work with Phones? nexus 4/5?

No idea, don't have one of those phones.

I have an add-on USB-connected Qi charging module. I have one sandwiched in-between the case and an Azpen A700 tablet. The dock will charge using it but it's tricky to get the alignment right.

So I'd imagine if the orientation was right then it would charge. Perhaps someone else that has both will chime in?

ferrari35

Jun 9, 2011
No. no idea why, but I have a Nexus 5 and can't find a spot that triggers it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It will charge the nexus 5 but it has to be in landscape mode and the side of the phone has to be flush with the top of the charger(the gap between the bottom of the phone and the lip of the dock is about half an inch) would have to find someway to secure it to the dock.
Update if you use the little orange cover from a bic razor and place it in the dock then place the nexus 5 on it in landscape mode it will charge and balances on it well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

wkearney99

Dec 19, 2007
Bethesda, MD
It will charge the nexus 5 but it has to be in landscape mode and the side of the phone has to be flush with the top of the charger(the gap between the bottom of the phone and the lip of the dock is about half an inch) would have to find someway to secure it to the dock.
Update if you use the little orange cover from a bic razor and place it in the dock then place the nexus 5 on it in landscape mode it will charge and balances on it well.p
Sugru moldable putty is another idea to consider. You could use it to make a removable piece to position the phone in the right spot.

mgutt

Nov 8, 2012
Hennef
www.maxrev.de
For whom is interested in:

1.) The dock was revised and does not have a speaker anymore

2.) In Germany there is a cheapier version available:
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00TX633L0 (31 € ~ $ 35)

3.) I think using daydream prevents trim:
https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+/4f868ed
If the device goes a defined time without a background
fstrim, we then force the fstrim at the next reboot. Once the
device hits the midnight+ idle fstrim request time, then we already
aggressively attempt to fstrim at the first available moment
thereafter, even if it's days/weeks later without a reboot.

'Available' here means charging + device idle. If the device never
becomes idle then we can't do much without rendering an in-use device
inoperable for some number of minutes -- but we have no evidence of
devices ever failing to run fstrim due to this usage pattern.

A new Settings.Global element (type 'long', called
"fstrim_mandatory_interval") is the source of the backstop time. If
this element is zero or negative, no mandatory boot-time fstrim will
ever be performed. If the element is not supplied on a given device,
the default backstop is 3 days.

This means the device becomes slower and slower as it never reaches the idle mode or was rebooted.

Reactions: PavPev

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PROS:

I picked one of these up on eBay (UK) for about £30, delivered from Hong Kong.

Received it in 7 days.

The build quality is good.

It's powerful enough to keep the tablet charged whilst the daydream is running.

nu7ezugu.jpg

CONS:

The light on the front is actually very bright, but I suppose a small label can block this out. Not an ideal design idea, though, especially as it blinks whilst charging and can make your dark bedroom flash.

The charger that comes with it is high powered enough for the job, although my wife complains that she can hear it buzz (or the dock buzzes, I'm not sure which), I hear it also and it is rather annoying.

The main issue is, though, when you place the tablet in the dock, there is a beep to tell you it is connected and charging, and let me tell you, the charging beep is absolutely deafening and can easily wake my baby when I put it in the dock before I get in bed.

The notification beep is a completely useless feature that only serves to wind the customer up. The tablet will tell you it's charging anyway, and also the flashing LED on the front (that should have been static and much dimmer).

Initially, when I first used it, the dock reached full charge and just kept silently topping up without the notification beep, so it was bearable. But (and this is a BIG 'but') the last couple of nights it started beeping every 30 seconds as the daydream took the battery down to 99% and the dock reconnected to top it back up. It is very annoying when this starts happening as it can happen twice, sometimes even 3 times a minute until you take the tablet off the dock. It's so ill-thought-out it's almost laughable (or it's a fault, I'm not entirely sure?).

Curiously, the first time it did this, I rebooted the tablet and it stopped the dock beeping whilst it was maintaining 100%, it just kept the tablet charging silently, but last night after about an hour on charge (in the middle of the night) it started doing it again. I had to get up and take the tablet off the dock - it's the only solution I'm afraid. The really infuriating thing is, this beep is so ludicrously loud, I couldn't even put the dock in my spare bedroom and use it as a charger, as it is loud enough to wake my other children in the rooms next door!

Therefore, in conclusion and unfortunately, I have to warn you NOT to buy one of these if you don't like the idea of cracking it open and attempting to disable the speaker. I might write to the manufacturer if I get time, and see what their thoughts are. I'll let you know if this happens and what the response is.

CONCLUSION:

A VERY stupid couple of design ideas ruin what is an otherwise well made feeling dock!

UPDATE:

I wrote to KiDiGi and they replied immediately and explained that I could "cut the wire to disconnect the beeper". I think maybe something was lost in translation as I popped it open and found this:

5e9y6epu.jpg

Well it's hardly easy to disable the speaker as the speaker is actually soldered to the main board (and I don't have a soldering iron to remove it). So I decided to disable it with brute force. Not ideal, granted, but the dock is useless with the speaker activated, so I guess I've little to lose. Clearly the suggestion of cutting the wire will disable the LED not the speaker, but I don't want to disable the LED, it's useful, just too darn bright and annoying, it's the beep that is the main issue:

sumy5e5y.jpg

So I decided to take a folk prong and placed it in the hole of the plastic speaker cover and prise it upwards, with the hope the speaker would come away from the board. It didn't, it just broke the black plastic casing around the speaker. Once this had happened, I used the folk prong to remove the little metal speaker baffle inside. To do this I inserted the folk prong into the side of the speaker baffle and prised the metal disc out. It's a 30 second job, but far from an elegant solution.

ane7u5ar.jpg

Whilst I was there, I decided to address the LED. I placed a folded piece of paper between the LED and the cover. This time this was a simple and elegant solution as I didn't want to cut the wire completely. A little LED is useful when it isn't turning your room into a disco:

qe3esedu.jpg

The net result is; that the dock now doesn't beep when the tablet is inserted and the LED is very dim, so doesn't flash so brightly, and is only really visible in a dark room at night:

vu3a5ype.jpg

qygy9asu.jpg

It wasn't a tasking job, anyone could do it, but it's frustrating that you need to do it.

The manufacturer has agreed to send me a new dock without the beeper, but I won't hold my breath.

I did actually hear the charger noise my wife was complaining about last night, too. It is rather irritating, but I'll try another charger and see if that solves it. If the manufacturer sticks to their word and sends me another dock, hopefully this will be resolved, too, as it seems to be a faulty batch of chargers that are causing it?

UPDATE:

Just a quick update, I received my replacement from the manufacturer and can confirm they've removed the annoying beeper. They've also dimmed the LED and the buzz from the charger is gone. Fair's fair, they listened to the customer and have now created a cracking product and I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

To the guy asking about if the case would work. I still don't have a case for mine, so it's hard to say, but if you look at the bottom where the tablet slots in, it seems big enough to take a case too as it is a graduating slot, if you know what I mean. What I was unsure about was if the charging would work through the case, so I tried to emulate this by jamming a notepad behind the tablet. There is approximately 20 sheets of paper and a huge gap between the tablet and the back pad of the dock, and it still charged, so I guess technically it should work, but couldn't 100% confirm it. Hope this helps and sorry for the really slow reply.

yge9e5up.jpg

ebe2u7yj.jpg

Excuse the dust, it's my office monitor base, my wife would be notified if she knew I'd posted this picture!?

Just a quick update, I received my replacement from the manufacturer and can confirm they've removed the annoying beeper. They've also dimmed the LED and the buzz from the charger is gone. Fair's fair, they listened to the customer and have now created a cracking product and I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

To the guy asking about if the case would work. I still don't have a case for mine, so it's hard to say, but if you look at the bottom where the tablet slots in, it seems big enough to take a case too as it is a graduating slot, if you know what I mean. What I was unsure about was if the charging would work through the case, so I tried to emulate this by jamming a notepad behind the tablet. There is approximately 20 sheets of paper and a huge gap between the tablet and the back pad of the dock, and it still charged, so I guess technically it should work, but couldn't 100% confirm it. Hope this helps and sorry for the really slow reply.

yge9e5up.jpg

ebe2u7yj.jpg

Excuse the dust, it's my office monitor base, my wife would be mortified if she knew I'd posted this picture!?

Can you please let me know if it is possible to use it with a case? I have a Poetic case and I consider this dock for buying.

Thank you,
    Regards,

Me

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I don't have a case for mine, but I'll do some tests with my old Nexus 7 case and report back.

I think with a qi from eBay and some piece of wood and tape , you can build your own support in 45 minutes.

I did a support last year in foam(white staff found in TV box).

U just need to cut it and tape.

U can even paint it.

Why not make a post "best hand made wireless support"?
    Can you put up some pix showing it docked with the case on it? Also how secure does it sit in the cradle base? Could it be used in a car possibly?

It fits OK. Not as smoothly as without, obviously, but it's certainly secure enough:

8evyzyza.jpg

avyhebu2.jpg

This is using the official Nexus/Asus cover.