Review of WeLoop Tommy smartwatch, w/lots of pics! - re-inventing the Pebble wheel :)

Search This thread

photon2038

Sep 1, 2014
Looks interesting. The sales page claims lots of apps are available and high customization.
I'm a little worried because I can't find any link to an SDK.

Good luck with it.

bfikkert

Sep 7, 2009
Rotterdam
Nice find. Please update us with your review. I'm very curious about the notifications. It says, notification alarm? ??

So, wil it show the notification? Or will it only show an icon or play a sound?

blacline

Nov 18, 2009
Hardware Specification:

BLE SoC: nRF51822 Bluetooth 4.0

Processor: ARM Cortex M0 32 bit processor

Memory:

FLASH: 256KB embedded

ExternalRAM: 16KB

RAM: 8KB

External FLASH: 512KB

Display Size: SHARP 1.26 inch Memory LCD

Resolution: 144 x 168 pixels

Bluetooth: -93 dBm sensitivity in Bluetooth® low energy mode

Antenna: Built-in

Sensor: 3-Axis Accelerometer

Key: Up, Down, Enter, Back

Battery: 110mAh

Vibration: ERM

Charger: Magnetic 2-pins

Certification: CE, FCC, and RoHS

Waterproof: 5ATM

Temperature: Operation 0~50'C, Storage -10~60'C

Humidity: 0~90%, Non-Condensed

Software Specification:

BLE Stack: GATT, GAP, Running Speed and Cadence

ANCS Profile: Social, Email, Incoming Call, Text Message

Features:

1. Work with iOS and Android 4.4 smartphone (Bluetooth 4.0 Or Above )

2. Clock interface customization

3. Notification alarm

4. Smartphone camera control

5. Smartphone music control

6. Find my phone

7. Battery alarm

8. Pedometer

JarlSX

May 4, 2009
Eindhoven
imho, the success of any (non-standalone) smartwatch depends on the companion app that comes with it. AND knowing you'll get firmware updates (and know where to get them).

all those things that use BTNotifier or whatever version of it can't hold a candle to the like of Pebble, Sony Smartwatch 2 and Android Wear.

yes, these (china) watches are cheap, but you get what you pay for (really regret buying the U8 watch).

what kind of companion app comes with this watch?

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
imho, the success of any (non-standalone) smartwatch depends on the companion app that comes with it. AND knowing you'll get firmware updates (and know where to get them).

all those things that use BTNotifier or whatever version of it can't hold a candle to the like of Pebble, Sony Smartwatch 2 and Android Wear.

yes, these (china) watches are cheap, but you get what you pay for (really regret buying the U8 watch).

what kind of companion app comes with this watch?

That's why I never speculate until I get it in my hands. Once I receive it I will let you guys know how it works, battery life, and companion app. No doubt, without a proper app - it would be just a toy.

Reactions: erwinsie

erwinsie

May 29, 2005
SyDnEy
found this watch by accident. yes please give your most detail review for this one :) page didnt say compatible with my phone galaxy note 2 but since both has bluetooth 4.0 i think they are compatible.

i also want to know the o/s they are using. not android wear, i think?

Kabeltv

Jul 21, 2012
Sweden
Isn't really active here on xda, but wanted to tell you guys that I just bought this. So lets hope for the best that it's a good device :)
They say that there is apps being programmed to it already so there must be some way to program our own. So if anyone gets information about how to develop to this one please tell me/the rest of us :)

Reactions: simple1i

altercode

May 10, 2009
SBC
Isn't really active here on xda, but wanted to tell you guys that I just bought this. So lets hope for the best that it's a good device :)
They say that there is apps being programmed to it already so there must be some way to program our own. So if anyone gets information about how to develop to this one please tell me/the rest of us :)

seems good

Moebiuz

Dec 21, 2010
Looks great.
Will it be full compatible with an One Plus One? Thinking if it will work with an OPPO Find 7, I believe OnePlus One will made too...

erwinsie

May 29, 2005
SyDnEy
Hmm is this has speakers and microphones so I can receive and make calls? (By connected to my mobile of course) . Need to decide between this or IKWEAR IK8 haha

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Just got it today (DHL shipping was very fast).

First impression, it's very lightweight and thin. Magnetic charging cable is very much like in Pebble. The watch face is always on and you can enable backlight and motion (turns backlight as you move the wrist). Paired up OK with my Note 2. There is "weloop" app in Play store, but not everything is enabled in there yet. It seems that iPhone app is more complete while they are still working on Google app.

As of right now, from the app you can select Message Filtering and choose apps whose notification you want to be displayed on your watch. So you can get all your email notifications, txt message notification, phone calls, etc. There is also a way to access all recent notification history. You can use it as a remote shutter to take pictures and videos, and it controls music playback on your phone. The watchface replacement, silent alarm, and fitness app are not enabled yet, though it has a built-in pedometer to track number of steps, burned calories, and a total walking distance (though not sure how accurate it is).

It doesn't have android wear or any sort of android OS, it has it's own proprietary OS. There is no speaker or mic, obviously for battery conservation. One neat thing, I was able to check its firmware and it got updated over the air, no need to do manual fw update.

For now, this is just initial impression. Hopefully they will update android app version to enable all the features, especially changing the watchface of this clock. Once app is finalized and updated, i will write a detailed review with pictures.

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor

First impression, it's very lightweight and thin. Magnetic charging cable is very much like in Pebble. The watch face is always on and you can enable backlight and motion (turns backlight as you move the wrist). Paired up OK with my Note 2. There is "weloop" app in Play store, but not everything is enabled in there yet. It seems that iPhone app is more complete while they are still working on Google app.

As of right now, from the app you can select Message Filtering and choose apps whose notification you want to be displayed on your watch. So you can get all your email notifications, txt message notification, phone calls, etc. There is also a way to access all recent notification history. You can use it as a remote shutter to take pictures and videos, and it controls music playback on your phone. The watchface replacement, silent alarm, and fitness app are not enabled yet, though it has a built-in pedometer to track number of steps, burned calories, and a total walking distance (though not sure how accurate it is).

It doesn't have android wear or any sort of android OS, it has it's own proprietary OS. There is no speaker or mic, obviously for battery conservation. One neat thing, I was able to check its firmware and it got updated over the air, no need to do manual fw update.

For now, this is just initial impression. Hopefully they will update android app version to enable all the features, especially changing the watchface of this clock. Once app is finalized and updated, i will write a detailed review with pictures.
Can you post some photos especially with the screen on. I want to see how it's look like especially the screen pixelation.

TomaszD84

Aug 23, 2010

Where is the Android support app? I can't find anything in the Play Store. Also, please post pics! :)

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
The app is here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yf.smart.weloop - and it's the same one if you download directly from weloop.cn (second link at the top in the upper right corner, brings up QR scan for the direct link). Unfortunately, a lot of the info is still in Chinese. As a matter of fact, I had to try a few options to figure out how to switch Chinese to English in the setup of the watch.

What I can say is that hardware and design are SOLID! Been using it for a day, still at 100% battery. It does all the basic notifications, and extra (with fitness stuff, music control, camera control). The app is a work in progress and from what I understand it's more complete for iPhones while Android is next. I also see they have a big community (all in Chinese, unfortunately) with people posting with their suggestion and reporting problems (per Google translator). So, it definitely got a lot of support and can only get better from here.

I will post a TON of pictures later today, but a full review will have to wait until I see a more polished app update. Just keep in mind, this is not Android Wear or modified Android OS watch. This is a very good clone similar to Pebble design with proprietary fw. I think the key here is a very long battery life, durability and waterproof rating, small and thin and lightweight, and all the basic notifications and controls (with vibration). There is no high res graphics in there, but the watch face is always ON and it can last weeks. I was just using it outside and even without backlight - it has a "sharp" contract (no pun intended since it uses Sharp screen ;) and great visibility in a direct sunlight.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
I changed my original post to a FULL detailed Review with a TON of pictures!!!

So, please go back to the Post #1 of this Thread to check it out!!!

Bembel90

Sep 7, 2014
I changed my original post to a FULL detailed Review with a TON of pictures!!!

So, please go back to the Post #1 of this Thread to check it out!!!

Thanks a lot for your review and the pics! :good: Its cool you got it although DX.com says the Shipping beginns at Sep. the 15th. Seems like it was a nice suprise as the DHL-guy came :laugh:.

I have two questions you may could answer: 1. will it work with Android 4.3 devices? I know they say it does only support 4.4 but maybe they just say so, because they cant guarantee it will work with ANY 4.3 device at the time.

2. Do you think it is possible to change the strap? It doesnt look like an standard-srap, you say, but is it ever changeable? I am not a great fan of that TPU-straps.

THX

EDIT: @TomaszD84 - try the QR-Code from weloop.cn, it appears when you click on the 2nd of the 3 buttons in the upper right corner

Last edited:

ArmorD

Sep 29, 2011
Helsinki
Saw the device while browsing DX couple days ago, looked really promising and the YouTube ad looked really professional. I'm intrigued by the battery life, the only thing that has kept me from getting a smart watch is the pathetic battery lives of the watches. I don't need to charge my wristwatch(yeah so 90's...) every night. Can you tell more about the battery life now that you've used the device for some time?

If it had speaker and mic, I'd get one right away...

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Yes indeed, it was a surprise to receive it so fast. As you can understand by visiting a link in my sig, I write hundreds of gadget and accessories reviews and get my review samples from manufacturers direct or through retailers such as dx.com since they can communicate with me in English. I guess it's a brand new product, and personally I'm excited about it because I have been following SmartWatches for awhile now.

I will try to see what's going on with that wristband but it doesn't look like a standard 22mm band, that's for sure.

4.3 vs 4.4, I remember notification was introduced in 4.3 where it worked before with my MetaWatch and older 4.3 on my Note 2 before the 4.4.2 stock update. But I can't say for sure if it will work for you. Might have to root to 4.4

Regarding battery, this is my 2nd day with a watch with a semi light weekend use. Will give you an update a week later. Right now it's still at 100%.

Reactions: ArmorD and Bembel90

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    well to be honest, after having tommy for 3 month, my feelings are mixed. On one hand I'm extreme happy with the battery life and the practicality, on the other hand, i'm sicken tired of waiting for software support. Its been over 1 month now since dev team said they're working on a solution for android L and yet, still no notifications, no updates. Instead of working on one product with already limited resources, they're working on three. Instead of producing one perfectly functional firmware, they're doing three half-assed products.

I dont know what should I think about tommy now. I`m proud that i'm chinese and some Chinese companies such as weloop is starting to try innovating to suit consumer demands, but I'm also disappointed with their half-assed attitude. I'm not software dev, but Im sure with all the source codes available, it shouldnt take more than a month produce a fix, or come out clean officially.

Unfortunately I'm taking tommy off my wrist and putting my Seiko back on, as right now there's not difference in practicality. Until the firmware's issues are fixed, it will stay inside my drawer, and I'm not getting my hands anywhere near the 2gen tommy neither.

For all of you guys out there with android 4.4 or 4.2, enjoy the best of tommy while you can. Peace!

Steyr
    Here you go, final battery update: it lasted 25 days!!!

Fitness tracker was disabled though, but every other notification on, also running 3.14.
    Same here. But theres not much support on this threads. Just updates from the folks that have got lucky ....It's potluck ...

This is what I did to get 3.14 on my watch using Android:

1. Download latest beta app on fir.im/andobt

Set your watch on OTA mode:
    2. Connect your watch to the charger.
    3. Press all 3 buttons on the side simultanously
    4. Release the 2 side buttons, and keep the middle button pressed until you get the upgrade connecting display.

Update from phone:
    5. Open your Weloop Tommy app, Go to "Check For Update" (it will say Current version Unknown, don't worry about it.)
    6. The display says "Found new Version V3.14"
    7. Press "Upgrade"
    8. It asks: "Do you want to switch to OTA mode?", Press OK
    9. It asks: "Ensure your watch is OTA mode, and then click OK to start OTA.", Press OK
    10. It will scan for your device. When it appears in the list, press it to start FW upgrade.

11a. Upgrade will start and both phone and watch will show a percentage (%) of complete.
    11b. If the watch gets stuck on a percentage or if connection is lost, shutdown the app an repeat from step 5.
    12. When finished the watch will reboot by itself.

I hope this is helpful.
    //Mr_Crispy
    Hi Everyone!
    A few days ago I have started developing a Windows application: WeLoop Tommy Watchface Creator :)
    I don't have much freetime, but I will try to release it here soon.
    It will come with limited functionality, but will add more when I will have time for that ;)
    I hope it will be useful.