• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

Review of Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones w/Android controls and lots of pics!!!

ipumuk

Feb 11, 2011
vectron, thank you very much for this very detailed review.

i am looking for new in-ear-phones which i will be using in the office too. would you recommend the piston 3 for this purpose? will someone sitting next to you hear the sound leakage? if yes, how do the piston 2 perform in this regard?

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
vectron, thank you very much for this very detailed review.

i am looking for new in-ear-phones which i will be using in the office too. would you recommend the piston 3 for this purpose? will someone sitting next to you hear the sound leakage? if yes, how do the piston 2 perform in this regard?
Pistons 2 doesn't leak sound as much, but their sound signature is a lot more bassy. There are so many headphones out there, hard to even recommend something new because you can find so many "gem" for a dirt cheap price... just look at all those reviews in my signature.

kaiteck

Jun 15, 2013
Good review, enjoyed reading it. :D
By the way, I've read few reviews claiming that the piston 3 still has 'V' shaped sound and not completely neutral. How far do you agree? Do you think piston 3 works well on most vocal/classical music? I'm currently looking for iem that suits my fav music genres. I personally find my piston 2 was too 'v' shaped for me :( but I kind of can bear with it at the moment with some eq tweaking.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Good review, enjoyed reading it. :D
By the way, I've read few reviews claiming that the piston 3 still has 'V' shaped sound and not completely neutral. How far do you agree? Do you think piston 3 works well on most vocal/classical music? I'm currently looking for iem that suits my fav music genres. I personally find my piston 2 was too 'v' shaped for me :( but I kind of can bear with it at the moment with some eq tweaking.
It's not 100% flat neutral because you have a slight boost in low end, but it's very well controlled and NOWHERE near a bloat of P2.

darkza

Nov 2, 2010
Hello!
How is the name of the app thats running on the samsung on the picture?
I search for a good eq app like the viper4android. unfortunantly viper wont work on my new android...
sincerely

nezlobnyj

Sep 19, 2012
London
HI @vectron

thanks for this VERY detailed review, almost convinced me to buy these.
I'm currently enjoying Piston 2.1's + Viper4Android + IRS attached (found it somewhere in the internets) - and I like this combination VERY much sound-wise. could you if possible try it and let me know how it compares to stock Piston 3 sound (on Piston 2 I find highs a bit screaming for my ears, mids turned down too much, bass and soundstage are ok). just unzip file attached to "Viper4Android/Kernel' dir and choose pi2.irs in V4A>Convolver>Impulse Response.
That's if you have rooted your device and some time to spare of course.

Thank you.

Attachments

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
HI @vectron

thanks for this VERY detailed review, almost convinced me to buy these.
I'm currently enjoying Piston 2.1's + Viper4Android + IRS attached (found it somewhere in the internets) - and I like this combination VERY much sound-wise. could you if possible try it and let me know how it compares to stock Piston 3 sound (on Piston 2 I find highs a bit screaming for my ears, mids turned down too much, bass and soundstage are ok). just unzip file attached to "Viper4Android/Kernel' dir and choose pi2.irs in V4A>Convolver>Impulse Response.
That's if you have rooted your device and some time to spare of course.

Thank you.
Sorry, all stock (not rooted).

karty

Feb 15, 2012
Hello frnds ...anyone ... give me burn in file for my P3 plss...bass is very low how to increase? My sony mh-750 sound quality better than these ....
Eq is k.Poweramp p3 bass is very low
.thank you

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Hello frnds ...anyone ... give me burn in file for my P3 plss...bass is very low how to increase? My sony mh-750 sound quality better than these ....
Eq is k.Poweramp p3 bass is very low
.thank you
You don't need any special burn in file for a bass to magically appear :) "Burn in" is not a secret recipe to fix the sound, it just an expression to "exercise" your dynamic driver for 40-50 hours until it's conditioned to play at its best. Some people just listen and observe the changes. I like to put my headphones with DAP (digital audio player) on repeat for 2 days and come back later to hear the difference.

That aside, P3 doesn't have a lot of bass, but its quality will improved after 2 days of continuous playing.

Or, you can play "white noise" file in the loop. It actually helps to exercising dynamic drivers really well. Please, don't set your volume to high and go here to check it out: http://www.jlabaudio.com/pages/audio-burn-in-download - it's embedded into the webpage (just start with a low volume, it's a piercing sound).

Reactions: coolfire