• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Review] rooCASE Easy View Landscape

Search This thread

JLCollier2005

Mar 9, 2011
Product name: rooCASE Easy View Leather Case with Landscape Adjustable Stand
Price: Currently $24.99 + shipping (Amazon)
Link: http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Easy-View-Landscape-Adjustable-NOOKcolor/dp/B004SIQZRW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1302905458&sr=8-8

Quick Review

Pros
  • Sturdy
  • Quality product (Leather feels good, inside fabric is nice)
  • Adjustable stand works better than most
  • access to all ports and buttons
  • Not overly expensive
  • Fits the NookColor very well

Cons
  • Speaker is blocked while in portrait (unblocked whil using Landscape stand)
  • Clasp can be annoying while in Landscape
  • Not as easy to hold in portrait as other, non-stand cases

Full Review

I opted to not get any of the cheap cases because I really wanted a good Landscape stand case, and I'm glad I waited. I'll tell you right now that it is superior in almost every way compared to the $75 landscape one offered by B&N and also superior than the other ones out there. My first impression was it looked really nice! The outside leather feels really nice and the inside material (it's non-slip for better control in adjusting landscape) makes my nook warm and happy. When I looked inside, however, I was worried. The way it bends to allow landscape stand is weird and it makes it to where the nook is actually held in only on 3 sides. It wasn't until I got my nook in and realized this isn't a major problem. When closed, it is 100% secure (as the side not locked in faces the binding)and when in landscape mode, the unsecure side of the nook rests on the soft inner material. The problem may arise when holding it in portrait mode, read on to see why.

First, speaking of landscape mode, it says that it has four angles, but (to my surprise) the pre-made areas for the nook to sit are not the only angles it can truly use! Thanks to the non-slip material used on the inside, you have a full range of area where it can actually sit, so this allows for a much wider range (very happy about this, even if it wasn't designed this way). The nook does not slip out of these positions, either. I had it sitting on my lap last night and moved around quite a bit and it stayed still. The biggest complaint about Landscape mode (although I understand why) is that the clasp that holds it shut is hanging in front of the screen. Two solutions to this can be to tuck it under the case (slightly raising the case, actually making it better) or lay something on it (in my case, my BT Keyboard) to hold it down. The last thing to note is that it's very sturdy and you can use the touch screen with no problems of it falling (as i've experienced with other cases)

Portrait mode works well, the front cover being able to fully go behind it (and the clasp holding it there, thanks to it being magnetic). At first, I thought the clasp was cheap, but I realized they made it this way for this very reason, to be able to hold the case fully open! However, when in portrait mode, it does not feel as sturdy. I don't think the nook will fall out (I did try), but I kept my left hand on it at all times while holding it.

I have more to say but am running out of time. For now (as I've only had the case 24 hours), I am giving it a full recommend! I'll be updating this over the next week (and maybe month, if needed) with more thoughts and pictures. If I get a chance, I'd like to make a video of exactly how it moves into landscape and the minor problems I ran into while using it in portrait.

Update (After 10 days)

I am just as happy now, if not happier, than I was when I originally wrote this review. I have used this (mainly for reading) many hours at a time and have not had a single problem. The Nook has not slipped as I originally feared it might, the clip is a non-issue because it slips right under it and almost lays flat when in stand-mode. I'm sorry if I confused anyone when I said that portrait mode works well, it doesn't stand like that I meant when holding it, because the case goes back and the snap holds it together. The leather feels good in your hand and I really feel that my Nook is safe inside of it.

I still give it a full recommendation and think it's the best case for the money if you're looking for a landscape stand. Make sure to read the whole thread to get others impressions!

Edit: Added 10 day update and pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20110423_092019.jpg
    IMG_20110423_092019.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20110423_092026.jpg
    IMG_20110423_092026.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_20110423_092041.jpg
    IMG_20110423_092041.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20110423_092056.jpg
    IMG_20110423_092056.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Reactions: tablo

dsf3g

Mar 31, 2009
I just got mine in the mail yesterday. I concur with this review. This case is fantastic. Excellnt quality and landscape stand viewing works exceptionally well. In portrait, it is actually more comfortable to hold than the case I bought from Barnes & Noble. The slight curve at the edges makes it feel like it's moulder to your hand. This is the last case I buy.

JLCollier2005

Mar 9, 2011
Sorry I didn't put pictures up yet, I have been really busy over the weekend.

To answer your question, others have complained about the cheaper case slipping out of position, also that the outter leather feels totally fake. The rooCASE, on the other hand, has a non-slip material on the inside that, no matter the position, it won't slip, and the outside leather feels really nice. Also, IMO, the cheap one looks, well...cheap. The roocase looks like a professional notebook or datebook or something. For me, after hearing reivews of other rooCASE products and hearing how high quality they are, I went with the more expensive for longevity more than anything (I tend to get good use out of my cases)

victle

Jun 20, 2010
Sorry I didn't put pictures up yet, I have been really busy over the weekend.

To answer your question, others have complained about the cheaper case slipping out of position, also that the outter leather feels totally fake. The rooCASE, on the other hand, has a non-slip material on the inside that, no matter the position, it won't slip, and the outside leather feels really nice. Also, IMO, the cheap one looks, well...cheap. The roocase looks like a professional notebook or datebook or something. For me, after hearing reivews of other rooCASE products and hearing how high quality they are, I went with the more expensive for longevity more than anything (I tend to get good use out of my cases)

No, the CrazyOnDigital case is very well made, snug fit, the inside material is very good, never slip at any position. The outer material is as good as other pleather case, it thick, soft but feel very light, well protects the NC. It doesn't have the Cons of the rooCase: encloses the NC at all 4 sides so it won't fall out in portrait, no clasp to disturb when sitting in landscape view. It's thicker and not as nice but it works really well at less than half the price. I have used it for several weeks and it just works like new, no wear or tear, no nothing :)

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
Received mine today as well. Definitely a fantastic case for the NC! I'd been using a B&N leather case but this one will be my daily driver going forward. Highly recommended!!!

UPDATE: You mention a portrait mode with this case. How are you arranging the case for portrait use?

Last edited:
I

inyrules

Can someone post some pictures of this in portrait mode? I'm interested in how it looks/works in that position.

dsf3g

Mar 31, 2009

JLCollier2005

Mar 9, 2011
Got mine. It's pretty rad. It reeks like hell though. Peeee-yew!

What does it smell like? Mine just smells like leather, actually smells good if you don't mind that smell...it's funny, I was on vacation earlier this week, walked into a farm store randomly and smelled the leather and it made me think of my Nook...

BTW, updating my original review to reflect my week and a half with it. It should be updated within the hour

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Product name: rooCASE Easy View Leather Case with Landscape Adjustable Stand
    Price: Currently $24.99 + shipping (Amazon)
    Link: http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Easy-View-Landscape-Adjustable-NOOKcolor/dp/B004SIQZRW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1302905458&sr=8-8

Quick Review

Pros
    • Sturdy
    • Quality product (Leather feels good, inside fabric is nice)
    • Adjustable stand works better than most
    • access to all ports and buttons
    • Not overly expensive
    • Fits the NookColor very well

Cons
    • Speaker is blocked while in portrait (unblocked whil using Landscape stand)
    • Clasp can be annoying while in Landscape
    • Not as easy to hold in portrait as other, non-stand cases

Full Review

I opted to not get any of the cheap cases because I really wanted a good Landscape stand case, and I'm glad I waited. I'll tell you right now that it is superior in almost every way compared to the $75 landscape one offered by B&N and also superior than the other ones out there. My first impression was it looked really nice! The outside leather feels really nice and the inside material (it's non-slip for better control in adjusting landscape) makes my nook warm and happy. When I looked inside, however, I was worried. The way it bends to allow landscape stand is weird and it makes it to where the nook is actually held in only on 3 sides. It wasn't until I got my nook in and realized this isn't a major problem. When closed, it is 100% secure (as the side not locked in faces the binding)and when in landscape mode, the unsecure side of the nook rests on the soft inner material. The problem may arise when holding it in portrait mode, read on to see why.

First, speaking of landscape mode, it says that it has four angles, but (to my surprise) the pre-made areas for the nook to sit are not the only angles it can truly use! Thanks to the non-slip material used on the inside, you have a full range of area where it can actually sit, so this allows for a much wider range (very happy about this, even if it wasn't designed this way). The nook does not slip out of these positions, either. I had it sitting on my lap last night and moved around quite a bit and it stayed still. The biggest complaint about Landscape mode (although I understand why) is that the clasp that holds it shut is hanging in front of the screen. Two solutions to this can be to tuck it under the case (slightly raising the case, actually making it better) or lay something on it (in my case, my BT Keyboard) to hold it down. The last thing to note is that it's very sturdy and you can use the touch screen with no problems of it falling (as i've experienced with other cases)

Portrait mode works well, the front cover being able to fully go behind it (and the clasp holding it there, thanks to it being magnetic). At first, I thought the clasp was cheap, but I realized they made it this way for this very reason, to be able to hold the case fully open! However, when in portrait mode, it does not feel as sturdy. I don't think the nook will fall out (I did try), but I kept my left hand on it at all times while holding it.

I have more to say but am running out of time. For now (as I've only had the case 24 hours), I am giving it a full recommend! I'll be updating this over the next week (and maybe month, if needed) with more thoughts and pictures. If I get a chance, I'd like to make a video of exactly how it moves into landscape and the minor problems I ran into while using it in portrait.

Update (After 10 days)

I am just as happy now, if not happier, than I was when I originally wrote this review. I have used this (mainly for reading) many hours at a time and have not had a single problem. The Nook has not slipped as I originally feared it might, the clip is a non-issue because it slips right under it and almost lays flat when in stand-mode. I'm sorry if I confused anyone when I said that portrait mode works well, it doesn't stand like that I meant when holding it, because the case goes back and the snap holds it together. The leather feels good in your hand and I really feel that my Nook is safe inside of it.

I still give it a full recommendation and think it's the best case for the money if you're looking for a landscape stand. Make sure to read the whole thread to get others impressions!

Edit: Added 10 day update and pictures