[Review] Samsung Camera Lens Cover

Are you interested in the Samsung Camera Lens case?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
That's how most lenses are, you can't expect DSLR quality from a $150 set of lenses for a phone. DSLR's can give you virtually no distortion, or issues at a steep price of course. I'm happy with the lense kit especially after eBay gave me $100 off my order due to an issue (they just told me after the fact without me even calling or asking for anything), so I effectively paid $20 for it and $27 for overnight shipping from South Korea. To me the ~$50 I paid even the original $130 is still well worth it.

$100 off? Dang you got lucky. Lol. I'm finding it hard to justify spending close to $200 on this accessory. Meh. I guess I'll need to wait for a year or so before it comes down in price. :(

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
$100 off? Dang you got lucky. Lol. I'm finding it hard to justify spending close to $200 on this accessory. Meh. I guess I'll need to wait for a year or so before it comes down in price. :(

I agree; I still would have happily paid full price like I originally did before the $100 off was given to me. I use it all of the time since I keep the lenses in my car for those nice picture opportunities. I'm sure it will drop in price; although I was told Samsung isn't making a huge amount of them in general which means a price drop might take a while.

Reactions: GreySephiroth

Rydah

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 4, 2008
Southern California
Picked this bad boy up for $50. Can't wait to test it.
uploadfromtaptalk1466457397229.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris_c81

Rydah

Oct 4, 2008
Southern California
Here's a quick comparison I was able to make while in my office today. All 3 **** in the same exact precise location. The results are quite well and different, exactly what I'd hope for.

No lens:
c75f26bda27b43a488e602e0cfbdf34f.jpg

Wide Angle lens:
be6fec1077e515bf354c03a4e8a8c123.jpg

Telephoto lens:
32dca6debea8a43ada8d63d276d45c07.jpg

Reactions: Pilz and Chris_c81

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Well I got it from Amazon from Amazon directly, but does look different from what I've seen online.
I bought mine from South Korea (packaging can be seen in the OP), maybe they changed it for different markets? It looks authentic from what it can tell it's just odd how they changed it

Reactions: Rydah

Rydah

Oct 4, 2008
Southern California
I bought mine from South Korea (packaging can be seen in the OP), maybe they changed it for different markets? It looks authentic from what it can tell it's just odd how they changed it
Yeah, this one was made in Vietnam per the packaging. I'll post pics of the actual product shortly.

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Yeah, this one was made in Vietnam per the packaging. I'll post pics of the actual product shortly.
I'll check mine here in a few minutes. The case itself is plastic with a note 3 like finish (faux leather like). Both lenses are aluminum and come with a small carrying case made again of some sort of soft plastic

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Certainly looks just like mine does sans the box; it even has the plastic protective cover inside the case, so it seems to checkout. Mine was also made in Vietnam from what I could see.

Rydah

Oct 4, 2008
Southern California
Certainly looks just like mine does sans the box; it even has the plastic protective cover inside the case, so it seems to checkout. Mine was also made in Vietnam from what I could see.
Yeah, quality looks great, this would be a great knockoff if it were one.

I got it for $50 by an Amazon error. Lol I happened to add it to my cart and pay while they messed up the price

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Yeah, quality looks great, this would be a great knockoff if it were one.

I got it for $50 by an Amazon error. Lol I happened to add it to my cart and pay while they messed up the price
I wouldn't worry then, I paid the same for mine due to a seller mistake on eBay ironically enough. I love the lenses especially the small case to carry them

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Impressive. I'll be sure to post them. Thanks!
Most of those were untouched, but I did crop a few and edit in SnapSeed. The telephoto won't key you so any macro photography just as a fyi, and it gets bad lens flares when shooting in the direction odd the sun. I wish they made a filter for it, or at list a mount for one; I might make my own if I get some time.

Reactions: Rydah

gavinfabl

Mar 23, 2005
Dartmoor
gavinsgadgets.com
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4in1-9x-Zoo...hash=item33ba0ce267:m:mjTz3JEcAmKwQIa3WB1sQ0A

hmmm, for a fraction of the price, it's worth a try lol! Too bad they don't have the one for S7E.

Wouldn't waste money on them, unless just for fun. I had something similar, and the problem is barrel distortion is terrible.

---------- Post added at 06:14 ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 ----------

Most of those were untouched, but I did crop a few and edit in SnapSeed. The telephoto won't key you so any macro photography just as a fyi, and it gets bad lens flares when shooting in the direction odd the sun. I wish they made a filter for it, or at list a mount for one; I might make my own if I get some time.

The sun flare - just use your hand to block the offending light. Simple solution.

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Wouldn't waste money on them, unless just for fun. I had something similar, and the problem is barrel distortion is terrible.

---------- Post added at 06:14 ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 ----------

The sun flare - just use your hand to block the offending light. Simple solution.
I could use my hand, although I might make a filter for it because that would be easier for shooting with. I don't want to accidentally touch the lense while out and about because I normally don't carry my lens pens with me to clean it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The Samsung S7/S7 Edge are both great phones that pack one of my favorite smartphone cameras to date. When I first read about the announced prior to MWC, I was excited to see a first party camera lens accessory especially coming from Samsung. For those of you that don’t know Samsung makes some fairly good mirrorless camera’s which is why I was excited to see their R&D going into this set up. Although it took Samsung a few months to release the Lens Cover in a few select markets that are not the US, I am still happy that I was able to get one. The seller I bought it from stated that Samsung was only letting retailers buy limited quantities because they are not producing a huge number of these which further explains the limited availability. I really hope Samsung takes this set up seriously in the future and continues to make a lens cover perhaps with more options in the future.

Unboxing

https://youtu.be/hrJ85uaA_-M

In the box you will find a case, wide angle lens, telephoto lens, and a nifty carry case for both lenses. The case is plastic, with a felt lining, but before you dismiss the plastic looking leather Samsung made it feel just like their Note 3 back panel. If you remember what that feels like it has a “soft leather/rubber” texture that is pleasant to hold.
    The carrying container is made out of a plastic like rubbery feeling material as well, but I wish they made the covers easier to snap on and off. Both lenses fit perfectly inside the case as you would expect, and it keeps them from getting scratched.
    Each lens is very well made out of aluminum that has a semi-polished finish to it. I have no doubt these lenses will hold up to the test of time, although I’m not sure I can say the same for the case. While the lenses are metal, the case has plastic threads which concerns me. I wish Samsung used a stronger material for the threads so it won’t wear out over time if you plan on using the case often. I am going to send Samsung an email about that to see if their warranty would cover wear/tear on the case threads. Other than that small issue I think everything is very well made.

Case

On the case you will find cutouts for all of the buttons, as well as a fully open bottom for whatever reason: I don’t particularly care because I’m not going to keep my phone in this case unless I plan on using the lenses. One nice little feature Samsung added to the case was a very small (cannot emphasize that enough) grip toward the bottom. This reminds me of a DSLR grip, but it really doesn’t do much to be perfectly honest; I would much rather have a bulky LG G5 camera module hump on the case to give you real grip since looks don’t matter. Seriously look how massive the telephoto lens is, then tell me if you care about an ergonomic grip being added to the case. I would not care given functionality over looks especially for photography. Samsung also added a very minimal lip so you can lay your phone face down without scratching the screen. It’s the little things that matter, and Samsung seems to hit the nail on the head everywhere but the case threading material.

Pictures

I’ve been toying with both lenses all day despite the typical horrible weather here in Pennsylvania. Since today was windy like most summer days, I found it difficult to shoot good pictures via the telephoto lens as I planned. I posted some samples in the later pages of this OP for people to view, but I will add more as I take them. I really like the magnification you get via the telephoto lens, yet it is not without issues. The phone will not focus at distances closer than it did without the lens in fact it might even need a little more room to focus with the telephoto lens installed. I also noticed that it has issues focusing in general on small objects with this particular lens. Samsung could correct this by adding a setting to the camera app to account for the additional zoom, but I don’t think they will. Everything else about this lens is fantastic including the versatility it gives you when shooting your normal pictures.

Telephoto

As I move onto the wide angle lens I wanted to mention how I’ve never really been a fan of wide angle lenses in general, but I’ll do my best to be objective. With this lens you get a much larger field of view as you might expect, and it really does add a nice bit of extra view-able scene to the picture. With any lens you will get distortion closer to the edges of the picture, but these can be cropped out if you so desire. I found the wide angle lens to be a great little addition that I plan on using often even though I was not a fan of them before. All of the wide angle pictures came out looking great no matter where I shot them.

Update [6/12]:
    I've noticed some focusing issues while using the telephoto lens (you can't zoom in/get closer to an object that normal i.e. no macro shots with it). Other than that small hindrance (if you want to call it that), I've been enjoying using this lens for the past couple of weeks.

Telephoto Samples
    Telephoto 2

Wide Angle

I wouldn’t expect DSLR quality pictures from this phone even with the additional lenses, but you can expect much more versatility, and better quality for different scenarios. I would buy this case again in a second if it was offered for another phone with an equally capable camera despite the few small issues I’ve come across so far. This set up is a first (at least that I’ve seen excluding Sony’s odd set up), so don’t expect pure perfection. The quality of the lenses, and pictures is far superior to any 3rd party accessory you will find, plus this is made specifically for the S7 Edge.

Wide Angle

Comparison between lenses
    Comparison

Bottom Line
    If you love photography, and the camera on this phone I cannot recommend this case enough, buy one!
    [/SIZE]
    Look forward to seeing them in difficult scenarios :)

Here are the samples I took today. I will post ever so brief unboxing I did too once I upload it.

Enjoy the many pictures of bees I took :)
    Telephoto:

https://goo.gl/photos/pAM2ebC7wrnZLFMj6

Wide Angle:
    https://goo.gl/photos/5Drfvvaxp1L1M2eZ7

Let me know what you think!
    Guy's look what I just got delivered!
    f7dcd64e7cd605c19634f5a131dc76f9.jpg
    Make the best ?-camera even better with the #Samsung #LensCover ET-CG935DBEGWW for the #GALAXYS7Edge, #TheNextGalaxy

PqTFWP.jpg
    jGQ6zS.jpg
    8UbZim.jpg
    iVpG8r.jpg
    7HreI1.jpg
    t4Rio3.jpg
    RQZOvL.jpg
    Just a FYI I have the case on order and it should be here in the next week or so. You can expect a detailed review when I get it