[REVIEW] ZeroLemon Pixel 3 4700mAh Battery Case

Search This thread

w0rdie

Jan 26, 2007
Austin, TX
First, some context since I find that product reviews, especially mobile products generally miss the mark on framing the thoughts they're about to lay out for you.

I spend an unhealthy amount of time on my phone, not gaming, or YouTube so much but the actual phone. My job requires that I take calls that can last well over an hour, a few times a day. Additionally I travel for work, so this means I regularly start my day at 5:00 and end after 1:00. These days are especially brutal on power consumption. Emails, phone calls, podcasts, web -- I'll be down to 50% before my first flight takes off at 8AM.

A normal day in the office, I bump charge my Pixel 3 generally twice, when I travel, I'm always nervous that I won't have an outlet and/or a window of time to top up.

Naturally I travel with a few chargers and at least one battery pack (generally two). This has gotten me by, but it is undoubtedly a compromise.

The notion of a battery case that I can throw in my bag and slip on as a safety net when I'm heading out of the office, or my hotel for dinner/drinks is immensely appealing.

Enter the Zero Lemon Pixel 3 Battery Charging Case

The first thing you'll notice when you look at this case is the odd reflective matrix pattern on the back. Put bluntly, I hate it. I've spoken to their team and understand they may address it/offer an option -- and I hope they do. A flat, matte black would be such an improvement. I don't want to draw attention to my phone case. It is a utility, not a statement. Sure, this is personal preference but its a strong preference.

Moving on, the case is a single piece, made of flexible TPU material and it feels nice in the hand. Despite the obvious bulk it adds, it remains pocketable. It is thinner, lighter, and much less rigid than other battery cases I've used, all of which were two-piece.

The male USB-C port inside slips into the phone easily, and the flexible material pulls over the top of the phone without much force. Worth noting that the power and volume buttons remain clicky and easy to use.

All of that out of the way, lets talk about performance.

In short, it does exactly what I need it to do. A press of the button on the back lights up the charge indicator LEDs and starts to push power to the phone. The Pixel reports a rapid charge, though I find that to be inaccurate. With the phone down to 1% charging to 97% (which was the best I have gotten from the case) takes roughly 2.5 hours, assuming normal use continues over that period of time.

In other words, when you charge your phone you may plug it in and leave it -- the idea here is that I don't have to be without the phone while I wait for it to charge. I'm sure it would refill faster if I were to put the thing down... but that isn't the point.

The case allows power pass-through, so if you leave it on and connect a charger, it will charge both the case and phone. I will say that I woke up once with the case on, connected to a charger over night with the case battery full but my phone at 83% -- it remains unclear what happened there.

Sadly the case does not allow data transfer, but this is only a seldom and minor inconvenience.

Who should buy this? Anyone who finds themselves worried about finding the opportunity to charge your phone and would like a convenient way to refill without having to leave the phone tethered to the wall, or have a loose battery and cable hanging from, or awkwardly crammed into your pocket.

I suspect that women who carry a bag with them may have an easier time with portable battery packs and the cable required to use them but when pockets are all you have to work with, Zerolemon's solution is for you.

I will note that they supplied me with a unit to test, but at forty bucks or less, the peace of mind this thing offers is more than worth it.

In conclusion, this case will be an essential part of my travel bag... until they make one with a more professional design that is. ;]

I'll be taking it to Barcelona in a couple months for Mobile World Congress, a week that is absolute HELL on phone batteries. I plan to follow up afterward with how it impacts my experience there.

Grab it on Amazon here.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First, some context since I find that product reviews, especially mobile products generally miss the mark on framing the thoughts they're about to lay out for you.

I spend an unhealthy amount of time on my phone, not gaming, or YouTube so much but the actual phone. My job requires that I take calls that can last well over an hour, a few times a day. Additionally I travel for work, so this means I regularly start my day at 5:00 and end after 1:00. These days are especially brutal on power consumption. Emails, phone calls, podcasts, web -- I'll be down to 50% before my first flight takes off at 8AM.

A normal day in the office, I bump charge my Pixel 3 generally twice, when I travel, I'm always nervous that I won't have an outlet and/or a window of time to top up.

Naturally I travel with a few chargers and at least one battery pack (generally two). This has gotten me by, but it is undoubtedly a compromise.

The notion of a battery case that I can throw in my bag and slip on as a safety net when I'm heading out of the office, or my hotel for dinner/drinks is immensely appealing.

Enter the Zero Lemon Pixel 3 Battery Charging Case

The first thing you'll notice when you look at this case is the odd reflective matrix pattern on the back. Put bluntly, I hate it. I've spoken to their team and understand they may address it/offer an option -- and I hope they do. A flat, matte black would be such an improvement. I don't want to draw attention to my phone case. It is a utility, not a statement. Sure, this is personal preference but its a strong preference.

Moving on, the case is a single piece, made of flexible TPU material and it feels nice in the hand. Despite the obvious bulk it adds, it remains pocketable. It is thinner, lighter, and much less rigid than other battery cases I've used, all of which were two-piece.

The male USB-C port inside slips into the phone easily, and the flexible material pulls over the top of the phone without much force. Worth noting that the power and volume buttons remain clicky and easy to use.

All of that out of the way, lets talk about performance.

In short, it does exactly what I need it to do. A press of the button on the back lights up the charge indicator LEDs and starts to push power to the phone. The Pixel reports a rapid charge, though I find that to be inaccurate. With the phone down to 1% charging to 97% (which was the best I have gotten from the case) takes roughly 2.5 hours, assuming normal use continues over that period of time.

In other words, when you charge your phone you may plug it in and leave it -- the idea here is that I don't have to be without the phone while I wait for it to charge. I'm sure it would refill faster if I were to put the thing down... but that isn't the point.

The case allows power pass-through, so if you leave it on and connect a charger, it will charge both the case and phone. I will say that I woke up once with the case on, connected to a charger over night with the case battery full but my phone at 83% -- it remains unclear what happened there.

Sadly the case does not allow data transfer, but this is only a seldom and minor inconvenience.

Who should buy this? Anyone who finds themselves worried about finding the opportunity to charge your phone and would like a convenient way to refill without having to leave the phone tethered to the wall, or have a loose battery and cable hanging from, or awkwardly crammed into your pocket.

I suspect that women who carry a bag with them may have an easier time with portable battery packs and the cable required to use them but when pockets are all you have to work with, Zerolemon's solution is for you.

I will note that they supplied me with a unit to test, but at forty bucks or less, the peace of mind this thing offers is more than worth it.

In conclusion, this case will be an essential part of my travel bag... until they make one with a more professional design that is. ;]

I'll be taking it to Barcelona in a couple months for Mobile World Congress, a week that is absolute HELL on phone batteries. I plan to follow up afterward with how it impacts my experience there.

Grab it on Amazon here.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone