General Reviews Are in on the Xperia Pro-i

Search This thread

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
Very good to hear about the much discussed battery life. Please continue to post about your experience with the phone. I like that you are coming from a P40Pro Plus... a really great reference point.

tessorodesoto

Jul 2, 2013
Hello,

So I am liking the phone so far, but battery life has been a problem, specially standby drain, when left alone overnight. I am consistently having battery drainage of 12% or more overnight. I have factory reset as a new phone, loaded no apps and atill the same. Is this normal?

elwuero

Hello,

So I am liking the phone so far, but battery life has been a problem, specially standby drain, when left alone overnight. I am consistently having battery drainage of 12% or more overnight. I have factory reset as a new phone, loaded no apps and atill the same. Is this normal?
i charged the phone yesterday around 5pm and didn’t use it for around 24 hours. It receives notifications from my mail, sms, ring, espn, youtube, etc. But i never turned it on. after approximately 24 hours it shows 84%. so down 16%. i think that is comparable to any other phone ive had. one suggestion when you leave it an extended period, like overnight, turn it upside down so the screen does not turn on and off when you get notifications. or i have mine in a sleeve. when the light sensor sees dark it stops the screen from turning on. oh and setup a sleep timer where you don’t get notifications overnight. i think i have mine set to 11:30 - 7am.

Reactions: marcus01432

tessorodesoto

Jul 2, 2013
i charged the phone yesterday around 5pm and didn’t use it for around 24 hours. It receives notifications from my mail, sms, ring, espn, youtube, etc. But i never turned it on. after approximately 24 hours it shows 84%. so down 16%. i think that is comparable to any other phone ive had. one suggestion when you leave it an extended period, like overnight, turn it upside down so the screen does not turn on and off when you get notifications. or i have mine in a sleeve. when the light sensor sees dark it stops the screen from turning on. oh and setup a sleep timer where you don’t get notifications overnight. i think i have mine set to 11:30 - 7am.
Thanks, I will try that. Is your sim in it? I would assume that if i turn airplane mode on it would drain less battery, but it shouldnt be the case. My pixel 5 drains only 1 to 2% overnight, with everything on. It may be an Android 11 flaw. What i did notice is that the wifi icon shows unusually high data transfer, almost all the time. Still the phone gets warm easily.

elwuero

Thanks, I will try that. Is your sim in it? I would assume that if i turn airplane mode on it would drain less battery, but it shouldnt be the case. My pixel 5 drains only 1 to 2% overnight, with everything on. It may be an Android 11 flaw. What i did notice is that the wifi icon shows unusually high data transfer, almost all the time. Still the phone gets warm easily.
yes my sim is in it. t-mobile

edit: that's really good with your pixel 5. probably google has better battery management.

Last edited:

YogaSlackers

Jul 30, 2013
www.yogaslackers.com
Does anyone know if a grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan will tether on this phone? I am still running a rooted pixel 1 to keep unlimited data tether. I also have an iPad that allows tether, so is the tether block still a thing on unrooted android phones?

I really need hdmi in and Android on top of the grandfathered tether plan.

Thanks.

patrickt

Apr 8, 2021
Right now, I'm sticking with my Xperia 5 II. I am seriously disappointed that there have been two upgrades to the Photopro app which were not made available by Sony for the Xperia 5 II. We got both of them from another source but we shouldn't have to. So, I won't be getting the Xperia Pro I this year. I have contacted Sony with my complaint.

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
Sorry. I am late responding. We went away for the New Year's holiday to Gili Islands off Lombok in Indonesia from Bali.

The photos are interesting. I need some help to better comment. The ."dng" is the Panasonic and ".jpg." are the Xperia Pro i? Did you take the Xperia photos in manual mode? Without the detailed informaiton, my guess is that the darker photos are the Xperia where the shadows are darker. In many ways from experience from a Sony camera, I think the Sony preserves what you see better. I like that. I don't like to change reality like many of the phone companies.

I like dark the photos here. Most people look at dark photos I take and say they are too dark. I will put together a group of recent photos from a Nikon and the Xiaomi Note 10 Pro I use as my phone so you can see. I crop and use simple editing. If I want to preserve a photo I do liberally use editing changes to get keep the image. I need to learn to edit videos. I am not good with that.

I will send a chat with a link here for photos late today or tomorrow. It will take me a little time to assemble the photos together. Plus it is my wife's birthday.

gui3gui

Sep 26, 2013
Hello @marcus01432 the .dng are from the Sony Xperia Pro I and the .rw2 are from the Panasonic LX100.

For the Jpeg The 20211230_XX are the Sony and the P1580XX are from the LX100

The Xperia pictures were shot in manual mode with Tripod and both for the lx100

On the jpeg, the picture 1 and 2 seems to be the LX100 and the 3 and 4 the Xperia Pro I

saved-j

Mar 13, 2015
Sanya
I think Pro-i is not designed for photography. It sucks.
What it's good for is video.
Check out my comparison of Pro-i vs Vivo X70 Pro+ on Youtube.
It's in Russian, but I add english captions and there isn't much to hear - you want to see the quality difference first.

Attachments

• 20220107_171357.JPG
    20220107_171357.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220107_171413.JPG
    20220107_171413.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220108_163323.JPG
    20220108_163323.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220108_171205.JPG
    20220108_171205.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220108_171307.JPG
    20220108_171307.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220108_171617.JPG
    20220108_171617.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220115_193315.JPG
    20220115_193315.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0000_BURST20220107171507398.JPG
    DSC_0000_BURST20220107171507398.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • DSC_0000_BURST20220107171517962.JPG
    DSC_0000_BURST20220107171517962.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0000_BURST20220111143250717.JPG
    DSC_0000_BURST20220111143250717.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0000_BURST20220111144133976.JPG
    DSC_0000_BURST20220111144133976.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0029_BURST20220111143807345.JPG
    DSC_0029_BURST20220111143807345.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0012_BURST20220111164745662.JPG
    DSC_0012_BURST20220111164745662.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 10

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
Notebook Check, who I follow, has a review of the Xperia Pro-i. The reviewer is underwhelmed by the Pro-i. They review a pre-production model. I just bought one, so you know what side of the fence I fall on.

mahesh911

Feb 20, 2011
Trivandrum
Hi, iam looking to buy a new Sony phone. Currently still using Xperia XZ premium. Regarding the camera I have seen zoom capability of s21. Can anyone share compared to s21 100x zoom , how much maximum digital zoom possible with Xperia pro I? Just in case if I need to do a picture of moon, will it be enough for Xperia pro I to take a clear picture zoomed in? Also what is the general file size of a high quality picture taken in this phone?

cambofuk

Oct 25, 2016
Had this phone now since Dec. The Camera is truly amazing for real photos, although there is a learning curve, getting used to it to get the best out of it.

The video however is a bit frustrating . The quality is fine but have had two occasions ruined due to phone over heating and shutting down. I hope there might be a software fix for this.. Will try videoing in diff scenarios to see if the issue is across the board.

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
Yes. Agree. Had scary overheating video issues. As I explore video more, I will let you know more. The time it overheated was when there were other programs running in the background. Anyway let's stay in touch on the overheating.

Reactions: cambofuk

cambofuk

Oct 25, 2016
you could be right with the other apps.. also i have two sims in my phone at the moment, so maybe too much going on in backround

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now that the phone is shipping, review s are coming in.
    1. Android Authority is using a pre-production model here I think: https://www.androidauthority.com/sony-xperia-pro-i-review-3061123/
    2. Digital Camera World is spending more time with the phone and will update the review: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/sony-xperia-pro-i-review
    3. Never heard of magazine. But then everyone has an opinion. https://www.jioforme.com/sony-xperia-pro-i-review-hands-on/968762/

There is also the GSM Arena Review, a site I follow daily. https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_pro_i-review-2353.php

I'll be interested to see what Notebookcheck.com and DXO have to say. Juan Carlos Bagnell, The Gadget Guy has interesting points of view. I do like his perspective. About the Pro-i he said many reviewers underestimate the skill level of a significant segment of the buying public in their reviews. Not all of us will be overwhelmed by the camera apps on the phone. And all the reviews say the battery life is OK. Then there is the price.... well that's a different story and soooooo Sony.

Let's take these reviews with a grain of salt.
    Just got sony pro i two days ago. Def a learning curve gut very happy so far. Battery life not bad. Coming from p40 Pro plus.
    Damn. Now you have me reconsidering again. I will want to hear what you think on 1 iii, please. The battery life on the 1 III scares me a bit. Agree that the bigger sensor (well maybe not bigger, but better quality sensor) will take better pictures.

Photos and high quality audio are important to me. The mid range Xiaomi I have takes very nice photos. The phone was recommended by 4 different sites at the time of purchase. The Xiaomi Note 10 Pro also has great battery life. (DXO still has it rated at 121 under their old ranking system. Better than many new phones and I think the Xperia 1 iii.) It did teach me I don't need a flagship level phone to be happy. (I am not a gamer.)

GSM Arena and the other techie websites do pump up the big brands and tilt the discussion to the big phone manufacturers. I mean they have even justified no memory cards or 3.5 inch jack just because Apple decided to monetize those parts of the phone. I don't mind GSM because GSM has phone specs in a handy compare utility. I do like Notebookcheck. Although Notebookcheck is dumbing down lately too.

Somebody please start a mobile phone review satire web site.
    unfortunately i can’t comment on battery life. the 1iii is not my main smartphone. i carry it with me everyday as my camera, but i do almost everything else on my other phone. as a camera phone, having the dedicated shutter button is so nice. for me that makes it a must have device. i had a samsung s21 ultra and a vivo x60 pro plus. and an iPhone 13 pm. i love gadgets. all of them shoot good photos especially if you know how to use a camera. the sony is the only phone with a camera like interface. i got great photos and bad photos from all of them.

honestly, when i look through my photos i can immediately notice a huge difference in image quality when i come across a photo shot on my full frame camera. these camera phones can’t even come close. with the pro-i i am hoping the image quality is above and beyond the other smartphones i have used. i realize its probably not going to be much better, but as my pocket camera no other smartphone has a dedicated shutter button, a lanyard attachment point, a headphone jack with a good hi res dac, a slot for a memory card and a variable aperture. i also like the slim leather case that doesn't block the sides of the phone. whatever comes out from the other manufacturers, i know they won’t be tempting.
    Thank you again for continuing the chat and sharing the pictures. It is like I am looking at a roll of pictures I take. I take lots of the same subject to get one or two photos that really work. I must say you took a lot of pictures in very difficult lighting at night and gray days outside. I am quite impressed with the phone and photos. I quote in one that says "offline is the new luxury". Hahaha....

Questions: These are handheld? Are the purple or red lighting colors of the displays of gifts or Christmas decorations accurate to the displays? Did you edit the pictures? What shooting mode did you use, auto or manual? What do YOU think of the Sony shutter button? How have you found battery life? Have you had over-heating issues?
    The Teardown Xperia Pro-i video.