General Reviews Are in on the Xperia Pro-i

Search This thread

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
Yah. Maybe. I haven't gotten into the video stuff. The phone overheated on a cloudy day a few days after I got it using the video in Cinema Pro with 2 other apps running. I have only used the video from Basic and Auto except the one time when it overheated. It did not overheat in Basic mode on one of the hottest days of the year, but I was careful to shut off all background applications. I still have a few learning phone learning challenges. One is definitely video. the other is to use the camera with auto focus on fast moving objects. My video skills are at a beginning level. I want to read about the two apps and decide which to use. Sony doesn't need 2 video apps. Elwuero (a senior member in this chat) tells me us that battery life improved on his Xperia I iii after the Android 12 update yet to arrive for the Pro-i. I do believe him.

Reactions: cambofuk

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
So. I used the cinema pro app on Saturday and the basic mode today. Saturday, the phone recorded a couple of videos at a local monument on a bright and sunny day. No overheating messages or noticeable over heating with no apps running. This morning I used basic mode with no overheating. I had the VLC music/ sounds app running as usual. I did not try to use the pro app for more than a slightly over 2 minute recording. So..... I thought the camera did OK. I'll put up the videos and photos sometime. Right now it is lunch time here. The videos are nuttin' special. I read the Notebookcheck.net review again. Quite fair.

Reactions: cambofuk

augie7107

Mar 18, 2009
Boston
Sony Xperia Pro-I
I am an original Xperia user from back in the day, Xperia X1 and used Xperia devices exclusively until recently when I purchased the Leica Leitz Phone 1. I'm back on Xperia, basically thanks to the contributions in this thread. Just received today and anxious to get a few pics in tomorrow during lunch break and after work to give the camera settings a whirl. Thanks very much for posting the reviews, pictures and videos in this thread. Nice to be home.

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
I hope you like the phone as much as I do. It's nice to share comments. I got my Pro-i last month. All new phones are an adjustment. The Pro-i is a very pleasant adjustment. It just works and has a definite attention to detail YouTube reviewers don't get because they are jumping from phone to phone. The sound on my FiiO earphones is phenomenal for classical music to which I listen, as are phone calls. For instance, the speakers are better quality than reported in the reviews which only seem geared to how loud the speakers are. (I am not a gamer.) I enjoy the learning challenge with the camera and camera-video apps. I need to go out at night with a tripod and take night shots next. And, I am a videographer wannabe. I have a lot to learn there. My previous phones were usually Goofle and then Pixel phones, so I like the nearly stock android. Anyway.... I am pleased. The battery and screen brightness could be better. I look forward to the next Sony phones. You can see my later photos and first video attempts in the link above. I did make some additions and deletions yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: augie7107

augie7107

Mar 18, 2009
Boston
Sony Xperia Pro-I
I hope you like the phone as much as I do. It's nice to share comments. I got my Pro-i last month. All new phones are an adjustment. The Pro-i is a very pleasant adjustment. It just works and has a definite attention to detail YouTube reviewers don't get because they are jumping from phone to phone. The sound on my FiiO earphones is phenomenal for classical music to which I listen, as are phone calls. For instance, the speakers are better quality than reported in the reviews which only seem geared to how loud the speakers are. (I am not a gamer.) I enjoy the learning challenge with the camera and camera-video apps. I need to go out at night with a tripod and take night shots next. And, I am a videographer wannabe. I have a lot to learn there. My previous phones were usually Goofle and then Pixel phones, so I like the nearly stock android. Anyway.... I am pleased. The battery and screen brightness could be better. I look forward to the next Sony phones. You can see my later photos and first video attempts in the link above. I did make some additions and deletions yesterday.
So far so good. One thing I can't believe is still true. No wifi calling ability on ATT or Verizon in the US. Hard to believe this is still an issue in 2022

Reactions: marcus01432

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
So far so good. One thing I can't believe is still true. No wifi calling ability on ATT or Verizon in the US. Hard to believe this is still an issue in 2022
Ah. No problem with that in Indonesia. My phone plan here is $10-13 a month US. Emerging countries don't have the legacy problems US carriers have. Everybody has a cell phone. My phone is the European model.

mahesh911

Feb 20, 2011
Trivandrum
Hi all I finally bought new Xperia Pro I.. moving from XZ premium.

I have a doubt regarding the camera hardware button. It appears it's kind of loose.. I mean is it same for all pro I phones that soft click of the button is like very loose and not sturdy button ??

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
Hi all I finally bought new Xperia Pro I.. moving from XZ premium.

I have a doubt regarding the camera hardware button. It appears it's kind of loose.. I mean is it same for all pro I phones that soft click of the button is like very loose and not sturdy button ??
My buttons are firm and well engineered. Did you receive a defective unit? The display gives visual green feedback when shutter button is half-pressed pressed and in focus. Download the manual and the more extensive guides on the Sony website for the phone if you haven't already. I found them very helpful (but not perfect).The Sony website also has good video guides to their video applications. The transparent case shipoed with the phone does not allow finger touch feedback for me. The transparent case is too stiff at the buttons. Some people have been slicing the transparent cover off around the buttons. I also thought the case Sony ships with the phone fails to protect the camera humps. I did buy a Rugged Shield case in my market (Indonesia). The Rugged Shield case has very good touch feedback on the buttons and much better protection of the camera humps. The Rugged Shield case is not expensive here. Hahaha... About $2 US dollars. I'm loving the phone mostly. Still a lot to learn about the phone, cameras and camera apps.Thanks for posting. Let us know how it goes.
20220404_065327-03.jpeg

mahesh911

Feb 20, 2011
Trivandrum
My buttons are firm and well engineered. Did you receive a defective unit? The display gives visual green feedback when shutter button is half-pressed pressed and in focus. Download the manual and the more extensive guides on the Sony website for the phone if you haven't already. I found them very helpful (but not perfect).The Sony website also has good video guides to their video applications. The transparent case shipoed with the phone does not allow finger touch feedback for me. The transparent case is too stiff at the buttons. Some people have been slicing the transparent cover off around the buttons. I also thought the case Sony ships with the phone fails to protect the camera humps. I did buy a Rugged Shield case in my market (Indonesia). The Rugged Shield case has very good touch feedback on the buttons and much better protection of the camera humps. The Rugged Shield case is not expensive here. Hahaha... About $2 US dollars. I'm loving the phone mostly. Still a lot to learn about the phone, cameras and camera apps.Thanks for posting. Let us know how it goes.View attachment 5579257
Hi thank you for reply. About the camera button, I am not sure whether it's defective or not. But half press works , I can see green focus mark and everything works fine.. just the button feels like it's about to go off within weeks of use. How to explain...ya.it feels like very spongy and soft. In my old phone it's solid button and same soft click for focus is there in XZ premium.
I bought from international site which I got from Hong Kong. No Sony phones in my market which is New Zealand. Now I gotta buy that rugged phone case and see if it can protect the camera hump and this camera button also as it's kind of feels like it will go off within months of use... It's so soft. That's why asked whether it's normal or just mine.. I can't test another device from a showroom as no Sony phones in this country.

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
Hi thank you for reply. About the camera button, I am not sure whether it's defective or not. But half press works , I can see green focus mark and everything works fine.. just the button feels like it's about to go off within weeks of use. How to explain...ya.it feels like very spongy and soft. In my old phone it's solid button and same soft click for focus is there in XZ premium.
I bought from international site which I got from Hong Kong. No Sony phones in my market which is New Zealand. Now I gotta buy that rugged phone case and see if it can protect the camera hump and this camera button also as it's kind of feels like it will go off within months of use... It's so soft. That's why asked whether it's normal or just mine.. I can't test another device from a showroom as no Sony phones in this country.
I think you have squishy fishy buttons, yes?. The buttons are firm on mine. I bought here at a discounted price ($1250 US) for the Euro version with fear in my bones. But no problems with the phone since received. And DEFINITELY no squishy buttons. I would have preferred a Sony dealer in Singapore or Japan, but then I got tired of waiting for the pandemic travel restrictions to clear out. So I don't have any 1 year guarantees it anything. Very risky.

mahesh911

Feb 20, 2011
Trivandrum
I think you have squishy fishy buttons, yes?. The buttons are firm on mine. I bought here at a discounted price ($1250 US) for the Euro version with fear in my bones. But no problems with the phone since received. And DEFINITELY no squishy buttons. I would have preferred a Sony dealer in Singapore or Japan, but then I got tired of waiting for the pandemic travel restrictions to clear out. So I don't have any 1 year guarantees it anything. Very risky.
Ok... Guess then I have to live with this.. the button is working fine. I paid 1850 in NZD and the website offers 1 year international warranty. I will see after buying rugged case may b it can protect the button inside the case so I don't have to worry about... I will add reviews on d course of my usage . I just got the phone today only and I love it . Still on Android 11, didn't update.

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
You owned many other Xperias, so you would know if it is correct. Best of luck. I have always bought from the manufacturer before. So, I had more confidence, support, and repair. Best of luck. Do stay in touch, if you are ever in Bali ...

Reactions: mahesh911

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
The update is on the way. I don't have an update to Android 12 either yet. Other commentators in XDA have said the battery life is significantly better with the Android 12 update on the Xperia 1 mark iii. Best. I'll sign off for the evening.

elwuero

the pro i has a new shutter button, different from all older xperia models. i had a 1ii and a 1iii and the shutter button on those were firm and solid feeling. coming from that, the pro i can be described as loose or squishy as compared to the others. but i think that's only cause we're comparing it to previous models. i think if this was your first xperia you wouldn't think twice about it. i don’t think you have a faulty phone. truth be told i prefer the old style.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now that the phone is shipping, review s are coming in.
    1. Android Authority is using a pre-production model here I think: https://www.androidauthority.com/sony-xperia-pro-i-review-3061123/
    2. Digital Camera World is spending more time with the phone and will update the review: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/sony-xperia-pro-i-review
    3. Never heard of magazine. But then everyone has an opinion. https://www.jioforme.com/sony-xperia-pro-i-review-hands-on/968762/

There is also the GSM Arena Review, a site I follow daily. https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_pro_i-review-2353.php

I'll be interested to see what Notebookcheck.com and DXO have to say. Juan Carlos Bagnell, The Gadget Guy has interesting points of view. I do like his perspective. About the Pro-i he said many reviewers underestimate the skill level of a significant segment of the buying public in their reviews. Not all of us will be overwhelmed by the camera apps on the phone. And all the reviews say the battery life is OK. Then there is the price.... well that's a different story and soooooo Sony.

Let's take these reviews with a grain of salt.
    Just got sony pro i two days ago. Def a learning curve gut very happy so far. Battery life not bad. Coming from p40 Pro plus.
    Damn. Now you have me reconsidering again. I will want to hear what you think on 1 iii, please. The battery life on the 1 III scares me a bit. Agree that the bigger sensor (well maybe not bigger, but better quality sensor) will take better pictures.

Photos and high quality audio are important to me. The mid range Xiaomi I have takes very nice photos. The phone was recommended by 4 different sites at the time of purchase. The Xiaomi Note 10 Pro also has great battery life. (DXO still has it rated at 121 under their old ranking system. Better than many new phones and I think the Xperia 1 iii.) It did teach me I don't need a flagship level phone to be happy. (I am not a gamer.)

GSM Arena and the other techie websites do pump up the big brands and tilt the discussion to the big phone manufacturers. I mean they have even justified no memory cards or 3.5 inch jack just because Apple decided to monetize those parts of the phone. I don't mind GSM because GSM has phone specs in a handy compare utility. I do like Notebookcheck. Although Notebookcheck is dumbing down lately too.

Somebody please start a mobile phone review satire web site.
    unfortunately i can’t comment on battery life. the 1iii is not my main smartphone. i carry it with me everyday as my camera, but i do almost everything else on my other phone. as a camera phone, having the dedicated shutter button is so nice. for me that makes it a must have device. i had a samsung s21 ultra and a vivo x60 pro plus. and an iPhone 13 pm. i love gadgets. all of them shoot good photos especially if you know how to use a camera. the sony is the only phone with a camera like interface. i got great photos and bad photos from all of them.

honestly, when i look through my photos i can immediately notice a huge difference in image quality when i come across a photo shot on my full frame camera. these camera phones can’t even come close. with the pro-i i am hoping the image quality is above and beyond the other smartphones i have used. i realize its probably not going to be much better, but as my pocket camera no other smartphone has a dedicated shutter button, a lanyard attachment point, a headphone jack with a good hi res dac, a slot for a memory card and a variable aperture. i also like the slim leather case that doesn't block the sides of the phone. whatever comes out from the other manufacturers, i know they won’t be tempting.
    Thank you again for continuing the chat and sharing the pictures. It is like I am looking at a roll of pictures I take. I take lots of the same subject to get one or two photos that really work. I must say you took a lot of pictures in very difficult lighting at night and gray days outside. I am quite impressed with the phone and photos. I quote in one that says "offline is the new luxury". Hahaha....

Questions: These are handheld? Are the purple or red lighting colors of the displays of gifts or Christmas decorations accurate to the displays? Did you edit the pictures? What shooting mode did you use, auto or manual? What do YOU think of the Sony shutter button? How have you found battery life? Have you had over-heating issues?
    The Teardown Xperia Pro-i video.