General Reviews Are in on the Xperia Pro-i

Search This thread

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
Nice to know you. I live just outside of Worcester and was born in Brockton
Love the central part of the 'Chusetts. Worcester has always been a nice city and underrated. Just think what a true fast train to Boston would do for that part of "Chusetts. I grew up in Littleton. Spent 18 years in Pepperell, Groton, and then went to Quincy in 2005. We sold and moved to Bali. My wife is from Indonesia.

I did briefly look through the update. I can't see any change to the photo applications themselves and have not taken pictures yet..... so.... I will keep you posted.

Reactions: augie7107

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
Love the central part of the 'Chusetts. Worcester has always been a nice city and underrated. Just think what a true fast train to Boston would do for that part of "Chusetts. I grew up in Littleton. Spent 18 years in Pepperell, Groton, and then went to Quincy in 2005. We sold and moved to Bali. My wife is from Indonesia.

I did briefly look through the update. I can't see any change to the photo applications themselves and have not taken pictures yet..... so.... I will keep you posted.
You know I don't like the Android 12 design language for the quick setting pull downs. Not as easy to read as the Android 11. Maybe I need to get used to it, but..... harder to read for my old eyes. Does Android have to copy everything iPhone?

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
The system update came in while I was having lunch out with my wife and a friend. Not installed yet.
OMG I hate the GUI on Android 12. Horrible. I want to go back to 11. The phone seems to open apps randomly more than ever. Was heating up in my pocket and I am careful to day of shutdown apps not in use. No redeeming graces to Android 12 that I can find or see. Goofle is just doubling down in the user experience.

augie7107

Mar 18, 2009
Boston
Sony Xperia Pro-I
I have 12 on my Xperia 1 II and it seems pretty good. Any change in battery life? I like to run my Pro-I on 120 refresh rate but it really drains the battery so I put it back on 60. Still getting a handle on the camera but I have been able to catch some nice shots. True novice when it comes to photography settings so it will take a little work on a weekend to truly dive into all the options.

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
Android 12 seems to work fine and a bit faster on my Xperia Pro-i than Android 11. It does do a few things I don't like or haven't figured out yet. 1. I don't see a change in battery life. 2. I am also concerned about over-heating. I have yet to challenge the phone in this equatorial sun light and heat of Bali Indonesia by playing with the video apps. Apps accidentally started in my pocket with Android 12 and the phone overheated in the pocket a little. 3. I just hate the GUI of the tiles in the QuickList dropdown. That's a personal graphics choice which is not a big deal. I did eventually find the "lost" button I was looking for and rearranged the tiles without installing or buying an app to help to access the function easily. My quirk is that I like to turn off the mobile data app when I am on wifi at home. Conversely I turn off the wifi when I go into a mall or a place where there is public or semi public wi-fi and use mobile data. I also turn off location for all it is worth when I can. I don't worry about data usage. My monthly mobile bill is $10-13 US dollars no matter how much I punch up the data use. My monthly optic internet cable service is less than $24 a month. Anyway, I solved my quirky problem. I am still not a fan of the GUI of Android 12.

We both have learning curves with the camera and video. I am a novice at video. If you haven't seen, I do like to download the Sony guides for the Xperia and go through the guides. Here is the link in Asia for the guides and manual. The web guide is what you can go through. I don't know the video apps for the 1 II, but Sony has video guides for their apps. https://www.sony-asia.com/electroni...nes-tablets-mobile-phones/xperia-1-ii/manuals

There is a lot I like about the phone and the Xperia's not offered by other phones. A lot. I'll be very interested in the Xperia 1 IV. I'll wait for Sony to release the hype on it rather than the idiot fan boy renders and speculation.

Reactions: augie7107

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
I need to go through it again so I can cement some items in my aging brain and see what I am missing. When I am interested in a phone I download these manuals and guides from the manufacturers if available. The manuals give a different and I think important perspective on the phones that interest you. In many ways the manuals are a better read than the YouTube reviewers.

augie7107

Mar 18, 2009
Boston
Sony Xperia Pro-I
Absolutely right, let's review in our spare time and reconvene. I have slightly less free time than you it seems but I am also getting up there. Still directing supply chain in healthcare and, with any luck at all, slowly emerging from the pandemic. It's been a ride.

elwuero

i wonder if the battery life issue is android and 5g. when i had a 1iii the update to android 12 fixed the poor battery life. but i wasn't using 5g. i also had a vivo x70 pro+ and it had android 12, no 5g and battery life was terrific. i bought a pixel 6 pro to be able to participate in a research study very personal and battery life is terrible, just as bad as the pro-i. and the pixel is up to date. on it i switched off 5g and when at home actually use airplane mode and wifi calling and battery life is really good. i haven't received the latest pro-i update so i don’t know. currently with android 11 and no 5g battery life is poor.

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
Hahaha.... You comments are apropos. Last Friday my staff decided I should "walk back" my recent Android 12 battery "genocide" comments. I do think battery life is OK. I was probably frustrated with electronics in general that day. The staff now want me to see a counsellor about my love hate relationship with electronics.

Really, I decided that battery life is better with the Android 12 update despite my frustration driven negativity. (I should look at my battery charging data to confirm, but that might take rampant speculation out of the discussion which is not as much fun.) I think the OK battery life is corroborated in 2 recent YouTube videos I viewed. 1. Jason Vong who uses and likes the Xperia Pro-i:
and 2. Damien Wilde on the Xperia 1 III

The early Pixel phones I had taught me to kill apps not in active use. Early Pixels were well known for having no battery life at all. Some owners even questioned if there was a battery in the phone at all. Like those Pixels I owned, users have to manage their phone usage. I strongly endorse turning off 5G as a battery saver unless you are camping under a 5G tower. AND, kill apps you are not using.

My eyes are drifting to the Oppo N and it's variants. I made the mistake of picking up a Sammy X fold (I think) at the mall and wow.... OK, I'll call the therapist.

Reactions: elwuero

augie7107

Mar 18, 2009
Boston
Sony Xperia Pro-I
My oldest son got married yesterday and I took several pictures and videos, most on automatic. I used Capture One to take a look at them and start to post process and I am very happy with the results. I'm no photography pro but will say I have some of the nicest pics I have taken with a mobile phone. Good investment.

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
Yes. I have been playing with Capture 1 and DXO PL. DXO is quite amazing. DXO is a bit more complex than Capture 1, but the DXO program does not load the Sony .dng. Not loading the Sony .dng helpful. I thought I would try playing with this a bit more on DXO before settling on Capture1. I will jpeg the Sony raw files and then play with the pictures on DXO on the pictures.

marcus01432

Nov 11, 2021
Sony Xperia 10
Sony Xperia 1
Using Capture 1 Express after playing with Capture 1 pro. The Capture Express allows me to load the Sony dng and Nikon files which I can't do on DXO or Nikon. I may try Capture 1 Pro again against the DXO software which I thought was amazing, but no it did not load Sony DNG. Tomorrow sometime I will share some pictures from the Capture Express.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now that the phone is shipping, review s are coming in.
    1. Android Authority is using a pre-production model here I think: https://www.androidauthority.com/sony-xperia-pro-i-review-3061123/
    2. Digital Camera World is spending more time with the phone and will update the review: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/sony-xperia-pro-i-review
    3. Never heard of magazine. But then everyone has an opinion. https://www.jioforme.com/sony-xperia-pro-i-review-hands-on/968762/

There is also the GSM Arena Review, a site I follow daily. https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_pro_i-review-2353.php

I'll be interested to see what Notebookcheck.com and DXO have to say. Juan Carlos Bagnell, The Gadget Guy has interesting points of view. I do like his perspective. About the Pro-i he said many reviewers underestimate the skill level of a significant segment of the buying public in their reviews. Not all of us will be overwhelmed by the camera apps on the phone. And all the reviews say the battery life is OK. Then there is the price.... well that's a different story and soooooo Sony.

Let's take these reviews with a grain of salt.
    Just got sony pro i two days ago. Def a learning curve gut very happy so far. Battery life not bad. Coming from p40 Pro plus.
    Damn. Now you have me reconsidering again. I will want to hear what you think on 1 iii, please. The battery life on the 1 III scares me a bit. Agree that the bigger sensor (well maybe not bigger, but better quality sensor) will take better pictures.

Photos and high quality audio are important to me. The mid range Xiaomi I have takes very nice photos. The phone was recommended by 4 different sites at the time of purchase. The Xiaomi Note 10 Pro also has great battery life. (DXO still has it rated at 121 under their old ranking system. Better than many new phones and I think the Xperia 1 iii.) It did teach me I don't need a flagship level phone to be happy. (I am not a gamer.)

GSM Arena and the other techie websites do pump up the big brands and tilt the discussion to the big phone manufacturers. I mean they have even justified no memory cards or 3.5 inch jack just because Apple decided to monetize those parts of the phone. I don't mind GSM because GSM has phone specs in a handy compare utility. I do like Notebookcheck. Although Notebookcheck is dumbing down lately too.

Somebody please start a mobile phone review satire web site.
    unfortunately i can’t comment on battery life. the 1iii is not my main smartphone. i carry it with me everyday as my camera, but i do almost everything else on my other phone. as a camera phone, having the dedicated shutter button is so nice. for me that makes it a must have device. i had a samsung s21 ultra and a vivo x60 pro plus. and an iPhone 13 pm. i love gadgets. all of them shoot good photos especially if you know how to use a camera. the sony is the only phone with a camera like interface. i got great photos and bad photos from all of them.

honestly, when i look through my photos i can immediately notice a huge difference in image quality when i come across a photo shot on my full frame camera. these camera phones can’t even come close. with the pro-i i am hoping the image quality is above and beyond the other smartphones i have used. i realize its probably not going to be much better, but as my pocket camera no other smartphone has a dedicated shutter button, a lanyard attachment point, a headphone jack with a good hi res dac, a slot for a memory card and a variable aperture. i also like the slim leather case that doesn't block the sides of the phone. whatever comes out from the other manufacturers, i know they won’t be tempting.
    Thank you again for continuing the chat and sharing the pictures. It is like I am looking at a roll of pictures I take. I take lots of the same subject to get one or two photos that really work. I must say you took a lot of pictures in very difficult lighting at night and gray days outside. I am quite impressed with the phone and photos. I quote in one that says "offline is the new luxury". Hahaha....

Questions: These are handheld? Are the purple or red lighting colors of the displays of gifts or Christmas decorations accurate to the displays? Did you edit the pictures? What shooting mode did you use, auto or manual? What do YOU think of the Sony shutter button? How have you found battery life? Have you had over-heating issues?
    The Teardown Xperia Pro-i video.