Rick's Rom DUB5 SM-N986U1 Snapdragon Safe Update To One UI 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Misterxtc

• Jul 11, 2019
    Syracuse
    Regarding the change log:

Disabled File Encryption - Is that for the entire device file encryption or the built in folder encryption that was disabled? What are the benefits from disabling this? Does it just make it smoother even if you don't use the encryption feature on the device?

Removed Knox - Does using a smart watch to use Samsung Pay etc... still a work around even with the device knox removed?

Are there any settings to be able to tweak camera settings to improve the camera? iirc back in the Note 3 and 4 days, a Dev said that there was a value in the image quality or something that was set to I think 8 instead of the max 10? He had maxed that out and included that in the ROM... I'm curious if such adjustments exist in the 11?

Does the CUA1 have the baked in Microsoft Swiftkey (VIRUS) or is that only on carrier firmware's?

I have the Unlocked varaint of the Note 20 Ultra straight from Samsung. Oddly, it came with firmware ATGO, which is ATT lol.. but I'm on TM. What has been annoying is that I can't uninstall the darn microsoft swiftkey.

I love Swiftkey as a keyboard (best touch accuracy IMO), but despise the intrusivemness, so I like to use my own tweaked swiftkey with the internet premissions removed w/ using AFWall+ to block everything else. ie...

The thing is that I haven't been able to install the tweaked swiftkey due to it not letting me since the stock MS one is baked in...
    File encryption is for the entire device and I believe TWRP needs this.
    As for anything knox related I wouldn't count on it working since knox was broke the moment you flashed a custom binary. I did apply a smartwatch fix so that should work along with shealth. Not sure about samsung pay but I think you have to fix safety net for that to work. I don't mess with that. The camera is stock. No swiftkey on the note that I have seen but it's on the s20+.

Reactions: iunlock

iunlock

May 22, 2010
    Galaxy
    File encryption is for the entire device and I believe TWRP needs this.
    As for anything knox related I wouldn't count on it working since knox was broke the moment you flashed a custom binary. I did apply a smartwatch fix so that should work along with shealth. Not sure about samsung pay but I think you have to fix safety net for that to work. I don't mess with that. The camera is stock. No swiftkey on the note that I have seen but it's on the s20+.

Sounds good. Thanks for clarifying. You're right about knox..makes no sense to have it as it is dead weight once rooted anyway... Glad to know that there's no MS Swiftkey. (y)

When flashing the firmware, I usually take out the SIM and microSD. Particularly in regard to the SIM card, should I flash the firmware first, complete the initial set up, turn off, install SIM and then let the phone configure itself to the carrier?

Or, should I just keep the SIM card in from the beginning when flashing the firmware? (I'm wanting to avoid any carrier downloading bloat onto the phone at the initial set up.)

Also, are the files both the same in post #2 and post #3 (feb patch)?

The file sizes are the same and I've checked the MD5 and they look the same. Is the download link in post #2 there just to offer two different sources to download from?

Thanks.

Attachments

• ROM MD5 Same.JPG
      ROM MD5 Same.JPG
      21 KB · Views: 22
    Last edited:

Misterxtc

• Jul 11, 2019
    Syracuse
    Sounds good. Thanks for clarifying. You're right about knox..makes no sense to have it as it is dead weight once rooted anyway... Glad to know that there's no MS Swiftkey. (y)

When flashing the firmware, I usually take out the SIM and microSD. Particularly in regard to the SIM card, should I flash the firmware first, complete the initial set up, turn off, install SIM and then let the phone configure itself to the carrier?

Or, should I just keep the SIM card in from the beginning when flashing the firmware? (I'm wanting to avoid any carrier downloading bloat onto the phone at the initial set up.)

Also, are the files both the same in post #2 and post #3 (feb patch)?

The file sizes are the same and I've checked the MD5 and they look the same. Is the download link in post #2 there just to offer two different sources to download from?

Thanks.
    It's best to keep your sim in and let setup complete, especially if you happen to flash stock firmware so the bootloader kg status changes to checking. I tried removing the setup wizards but they came back. At least all the google and Samsung crap can be uninstalled now after it completes. I just wish I could stop it from running twice, it does it on stock too. Yes, both files are the same just different servers.

Reactions: iunlock

iunlock

May 22, 2010
    Galaxy
    It's best to keep your sim in and let setup complete, especially if you happen to flash stock firmware so the bootloader kg status changes to checking. I tried removing the setup wizards but they came back. At least all the google and Samsung crap can be uninstalled now after it completes. I just wish I could stop it from running twice, it does it on stock too. Yes, both files are the same just different servers.

Would you be able to look over my steps for flashing and make sure that it's in the proper order? Please let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks.

Note 20 Ultra (Unlocked Variant straight from Samsung)
    Carrier: T-Mobile
    Still on the original BL that came out of the box, I never updated it.

Here is the order starting from scratch: A-Z

1. Back up the device.
    2. Do a factory reset in Settings or from the stock recovery.
    3. Root the device.
    4. Flash the latest TWRP.
    3. Boot into Download mode.
    4. Flash your firmware with Odin in the respective slots (bl, ap, cp and csc).
    5. Wipe and format data in recovery since I'm coming from a different firmware version.
    6. Reboot and profit?

In other guides it mentions the need to flash/install the following:

vbmeta_disabled.tar, TWRP, magisk and multidisabler-samsung-3.0 or newer.

This is where I get confused. Is there a need with your firmware to install the vbmeta_disabled.tar and multidisabler-samsung-3.0?

Misterxtc

• Jul 11, 2019
    Syracuse
    Would you be able to look over my steps for flashing and make sure that it's in the proper order? Please let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks.

Note 20 Ultra (Unlocked Variant straight from Samsung)
    Carrier: T-Mobile
    Still on the original BL that came out of the box, I never updated it.

Here is the order starting from scratch: A-Z

1. Back up the device.
    2. Do a factory reset in Settings or from the stock recovery.
    3. Root the device.
    4. Flash the latest TWRP.
    3. Boot into Download mode.
    4. Flash your firmware with Odin in the respective slots (bl, ap, cp and csc).
    5. Wipe and format data in recovery since I'm coming from a different firmware version.
    6. Reboot and profit?

In other guides it mentions the need to flash/install the following:

vbmeta_disabled.tar, TWRP, magisk and multidisabler-samsung-3.0 or newer.

This is where I get confused. Is there a need with your firmware to install the vbmeta_disabled.tar and multidisabler-samsung-3.0?
    Just follow the instructions in the op or zip file and you should be fine. You do not need to flash multidisabler or vbmeta, they are already in the rom. Backup, install the rom, wipe data and reboot. Complete set up and then reboot to install recovery and root.

Authority595

Feb 12, 2021
    Are you able to kill the bootloader warnings on bootup? Those are pretty annoying but worth it for unlocked bootloader. I wonder if Samsung will close for future unlocking the current bootloader unlocks for the N986U, or maybe they can't?

Misterxtc

• Jul 11, 2019
    Syracuse
    I've updated the ROM to 3.1. If there are any problems let me know. I'm not using the Note as my daily driver anymore so between that and the 3.1 update it was a bit more challenging this round. I added TWRP again to make things easier for everyone.

Reactions: lyall29

IFireflyl

Feb 23, 2009
    Springfield
    I made a new rom and uploaded it. I had to fix the build prop edits I have been doing wrong. I just noticed it and had to fix it.

Does this require TWRP to be installed, or just an unlocked bootloader? I have an unlocked bootloader but not TWRP, and this keeps failing.

<ID:0/003> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
    <ID:0/003> File analysis..
    <ID:0/003> Total Binary size: 9149 M
    <ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/003> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/003> Set PIT file..
    <ID:0/003> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
    <ID:0/003> Can't open the specified file. (Line: 1892)
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Misterxtc

• Jul 11, 2019
    Syracuse
    Does this require TWRP to be installed, or just an unlocked bootloader? I have an unlocked bootloader but not TWRP, and this keeps failing.

<ID:0/003> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
    <ID:0/003> File analysis..
    <ID:0/003> Total Binary size: 9149 M
    <ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/003> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/003> Set PIT file..
    <ID:0/003> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
    <ID:0/003> Can't open the specified file. (Line: 1892)
    Did you just download this one within the last hour? Also what phone are you flashing this on? Yes, it's odin only.

Misterxtc

• Jul 11, 2019
    Syracuse
    Yes, I downloaded it 34 minutes ago. It is the Note 20 Ultra 5G (N986U1).
    Hmm ok. I'll have to take a look when my wife gets back home with the note. I may have made a mistake somewhere. As far as I can see the files look ok.
    EDIT: The ROM flashes fine and the fixes are applied.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Feb 23, 2009
    Springfield
    Hmm ok. I'll have to take a look when my wife gets back home with the note. I may have made a mistake somewhere. As far as I can see the files look ok.

Actually, this may be an issue on my end. I had my bootloader unlocked, but this morning the February 1st update was available to install via OTA update, and I installed it. When I did that it factory reset my data (everything lost :( ), and now when my phone reboots it isn't warning me that I have an unlocked bootloader anymore. What... the... heck...

Misterxtc

• Jul 11, 2019
    Syracuse
    Actually, this may be an issue on my end. I had my bootloader unlocked, but this morning the February 1st update was available to install via OTA update, and I installed it. When I did that it factory reset my data (everything lost :( ), and now when my phone reboots it isn't warning me that I have an unlocked bootloader anymore. What... the... heck...
    Just revert back to CUA1 and you will be unlocked again. If you flash the full firmware flash this with it and you will be all set but either way you need to go back to stock CUA1 first and start over.

IFireflyl

Feb 23, 2009
    Springfield
    Just revert back to CUA1 and you will be unlocked again. If you flash the full firmware flash this with it and you will be all set but either way you need to go back to stock CUA1 first and start over.

I was excited to try this, but I'm still seeing ODIN fail:

<snip>

That was with this firmware:

Whoa. Apparently the issue was with my USB port. I moved my USB cable to a different port and it worked (installing the CUA1 firmware). I'm still not seeing the unlocked bootloader warning though. Hmm...

Last edited:

Misterxtc

• Jul 11, 2019
    Syracuse

<ID:0/004> Added!!
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <ID:0/004> Odin engine v(ID:3.1401)..
    <ID:0/004> File analysis..
    <ID:0/004> Total Binary size: 9458 M
    <ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/004> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/004> FAIL! (DeviceInfo)
    <ID:0/004> Removed!!

[

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <ID:0/004> Odin engine v(ID:3.1401)..
    <ID:0/004> File analysis..
    <ID:0/004> Total Binary size: 9458 M
    <ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/004> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/004> FAIL! (DeviceInfo)
    <ID:0/004> Removed!!

You might need to use a different Odin if you aren't using a modded one. I use this one.

Attachments

• Odin3 v3.14.1_3B_PatcheD.zip
      1.3 MB · Views: 4
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      First, I am not responsible to what happens after you flash this. If your phone dose not work afterwords it is your own doing. I didn't force you to flash it..

This is a stock rom for the most part for the Snapdragon Note 20 Ultra U1 that I use as my daily driver. I disabled file encryption, removed knox, fixed screen cast and shealth plus Bluetooth and smartwatch pairing. Most of the Google apps are uninstallable. I'll try to keep this up to date every month the best I can. Enjoy.

You Must Have A Unlocked Bootloader and a SM-N986 U1 or U Ultra to proceed.This Might Wipe Your Data!! Make a Back up!!.

Instructions:
      1: Flash with Odin in the respective slots (bl, ap, cp and csc).
      2: Wipe and format data in recovery if coming from a different rom or android version.
      3: Reboot and set it up.
      Enjoy.

See this thread or this thread if you need a unlock. The teams there are great!

Built With SuperR's Kitchen
      Thanks @afaneh92 for the unlock and TWRP
      Thanks @bklyn_syed for sharing the fixes for Bluetooth and shealth.
      Previous DUB5 ROM
      Rick's ROM SM-N986U1 DUB5 February Patch. This is a safe update to One Ui 3.1.
      ======================================
      Previous CUA1 ROM
      wow so fast, good work bro.
      @Misterxtc Very glad to see more custom roms being built.

Would you be able to build an AOSP rom for the Note 20 Ultra (SM-986U)?

Would love to see an AOSP rom like Lineage OS or Havoc OS :)
      Me too but I haven't gotten one to boot properly yet. I also own a S20+ and would like to build something for both. I am exploring the options.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone