right magisk patched boot.img file?

Search This thread

breacherman

Jul 6, 2013
After grabbing the boot image matching my current version, patched with magisk, I am told by 2 different tutorials, one in this forum and one on youtube, quote: "Open a terminal in the directory your patched boot img file is and type 'fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img".
No Problem, both tutorials instruct to type fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img. My worry is that my file is labeled "magisk_patched-22100_xlAUj" as opposed to just "magisk_patched.img".
I assume I either did something wrong, or the file names have changed since the instructionals. Wanted to make sure before rooting with this patched file since I only have a very surface understanding of what I'm doing, and don't want to brick my phone.
FYI I did try the suggested 'fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img' command but obviously didn't worry I assume because the file names are different.

Attachments

• magisk patched.PNG
    magisk patched.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 9
the file name basically doesn't matter. as long as what you type into terminal matches what magisk gave you, you're fine. to be more specific to your case: since your file is called magisk_patched-22100_xlAUj.img, your terminal command has to be fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-22100_xlAUj.img. to explain further: what you're doing is that you're telling the program fastboot that it's supposed to flash (copy) a specific file to the boot partition on your phone. that specific file here is the one magisk created (magisk_patched-22100_xlAUj.img).

another solution would be to rename magisk_patched-22100_xlAUj.img to magisk_patched.img

breacherman

Jul 6, 2013
Hey thanks so much, just wanted to make sure before I went through went it. However, I am getting a "disc image file is corrupted" message after hitting enter. I transferred the file by just drag and drop onto my pc. Couldn't get the adb pull command to work.
I even re-patched the boot img via magisk and retried, still getting same message. Every thing I'm doing appears to line up with the youtube tutorial. Would this be a case where I would try canary magisk build instead to patch? Or maybe I should make a new thread....

Last edited:
i'm not sure is this is going to work, but here's a boot.img i patched. it's version sunfish-rq2a.210405.005-factory-ab0ba039. maybe try it, see if it works. just to cover my own ass: i'm not responsible if anything goes wrong. anyhow, it's probably a good idea to familiarise yourself with how to restore your phone to factory before flashing anything and keep a backup of the stock boot.img somewhere.

buffal0b1ll

Sep 5, 2012
Baltimore
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 2 XL
i'm not sure is this is going to work, but here's a boot.img i patched. it's version sunfish-rq2a.210405.005-factory-ab0ba039. maybe try it, see if it works. just to cover my own ass: i'm not responsible if anything goes wrong. anyhow, it's probably a good idea to familiarise yourself with how to restore your phone to factory before flashing anything and keep a backup of the stock boot.img somewhere.
Is the patched image a 0b file? This is happened to me before too. The work around I do is to rename the boot image to something like boot_april.img before patching it in Magisk. Then check to make sure that the patched image isn't a zero byte file before copying it to your PC and flashing in fastboot.

buffal0b1ll

Sep 5, 2012
Baltimore
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 2 XL
Hey thanks so much, just wanted to make sure before I went through went it. However, I am getting a "disc image file is corrupted" message after hitting enter. I transferred the file by just drag and drop onto my pc. Couldn't get the adb pull command to work.
I even re-patched the boot img via magisk and retried, still getting same message. Every thing I'm doing appears to line up with the youtube tutorial. Would this be a case where I would try canary magisk build instead to patch? Or maybe I should make a new thread....
See post above this one.

breacherman

Jul 6, 2013
Ok, thanks, I might try that, but I'm not sure atm how to backup this stock rom without twrp.

breacherman

Jul 6, 2013
Is the patched image a 0b file? This is happened to me before too. The work around I do is to rename the boot image to something like boot_april.img before patching it in Magisk. Then check to make sure that the patched image isn't a zero byte file before copying it to your PC and flashing in fastboot.
Thanks for your suggestion but no, it's about 65mb in size.

breacherman

Jul 6, 2013
Ok, thanks, I might try that, but I'm not sure atm how to backup this stock rom without twrp.
I actually tried magisk canary build to patch the boot.img, and it failed, like before at first, I tried a second time to get a screeshot, and it worked for some reason.

Last edited:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone