RKeyScroll v0.4b - my gift to you - scroll any window with the keys

Search This thread

RPG0

May 6, 2006
Hi !

Here's an utility to scroll the current window. And i do mean SCROLL, not jump page by page.

Since i got my first PPC, i didn't like the way you're supposed to read stuff, i wanted to scroll down, but pressing the down key jumped one page down. I wanted a smooth scroll, so i made one myself.

How it works:
1. Run the app
2. Minimize it (either with your favourite task manager or tap Start/Today) - DON'T CLOSE IT

3. From now on, the UP/DOWN keys scroll the content of the current window - smooth scroll
Volume Up / Volume Down also scroll (a bit faster) - this won't work on some devices that have custom use for the volume keys.
4. You can disable/enable when needed by mapping a button to RKeyScroll Switch (each tap switches between scroll mode / normal mode.

5. When you're finished with it, run it again, or activate it in your task manager and press ok in it (left softkey)

Limitations:
2. It doesn't work in Start/Programs and in Word/Excel (maybe Powerpoint) - I don't know why

If you find other programs (MAJOR PROGRAMS - WHICH MANY PEOPLE USE) that don't work, post here - please don't spam and don't post a program that doesn't need the scroll anyway.

I tested this on my Toshiba G900 (if scrolling with Volume keys, don't hold them pressed) and my wife's HTC Touch.

PS: thanks to Nagakubo Tomohiro (creator of PQz and PQzII) for trying to help.

Change Log:
Code:
0.04b - 26 June 2008
 - command line options (by default the app has scroll enabled):
      ss   - switch scroll mode - only used if app is already running
      son  - turn scroll mode on - can also be used on startup
      soff - turn scroll mode off - can also be used on startup

only use one command line option at a time
   this is useful like this:
        - In Windows/StartUp copy RKeyScroll Off.lnk to start the app every time the system starts with scrolling disabled
        - In Windows/Start Menu/Programs there's RKeyScroll Switch.lnk -map this to a hardware button of your choice (thanks to fisch3009 for the idea)

- made the install easier - packed as a CAB - creates all shortcuts, for automatic startup you must copy manually
 - G900 version has scroll switch mapped to camera tap (it cannot be remapped with windows anyway)

0.03b - 25 June 2008
 - separate version for Toshiba G900 - this i can test on ;)
 - fixed OK button on Toshiba G900
 - when no scroll is possible, buttons do what they normally do
 - added smoother scrolling on volume up/volume down
 - changed the code to avoid future bugs ;)
 - still a bug: when start menu/quick menu is opened, it still scrolls the window beneath

0.02b - 24 June 2008
 - first release
Hope you like it !
RPG

Last edited:

brunoisa10

Oct 17, 2007
Westende
hi rpg

is it possible to use fingers ? instead of up/down buttons

is it a problem using TouchFlo ?

salut monpsy , toujours à fouiner LOL

Last edited:

RPG0

May 6, 2006
hi rpg

is it possible to use fingers ? instead of up/down buttons

is it a problem using TouchFlo ?

salut monpsy , toujours à fouiner LOL
If you want to get your finger in the way while reading something AND get your screen dirty, use TouchFLO or SPB Plus for finger scrolling

galaxys

Recognized Contributor
May 9, 2007
Cosmos
Samsung Galaxy Watch
OnePlus 10 Pro
Great Idea! I'm looking for a automated "timer" type scroller? Where you put like 10 seconds in the setup, and it would automatically scroll a page every 10 (or whatever seconds). No need to touch screen or dpad...

evojulz

Mar 10, 2007
London
This is very cool. I sometimes have trouble reading through my thumb ;)

I notice it still tries to scroll in the application that it can control even when it is not the current focus application.

Could you make it deactivate when the focus program is something it doesn't work in?

Also make it run in the background so I don't have to run it everytime I want to use it.

E.g. when I am in IE and I activate QuickMenu it still scrolls IE and ignores QuickMenu. Also you mention it doesn't work in File Explorer, likewise in Total Commander you can see the scroll bar move but the screen doesn't scroll.

Possibly have an exemptions list similar to FTouchFlo (I can see you don't like this) so we can add programs that we prefer the D pad to work natively in. Also any chance of kinetic scrolling?

Keep it up!

RPG0

May 6, 2006
I notice it still tries to scroll in the application that it can control even when it is not the current focus application.
Fixed in 0.3b, i will post it later today.

Could you make it deactivate when the focus program is something it doesn't work in?
In 0.3b, if it can't scroll, the buttons resume their normal functions, so yes.

Also make it run in the background so I don't have to run it everytime I want to use it.
It's already like this - you just run it once, minimize it, and change windows, it will scroll the active one (unless there are bugs :p)

E.g. when I am in IE and I activate QuickMenu it still scrolls IE and ignores QuickMenu.
Fixed in 0.3b

Also you mention it doesn't work in File Explorer, likewise in Total Commander you can see the scroll bar move but the screen doesn't scroll.
For me it works in Total Commander. When i have more time, i will try to see why it doesn't work (how to make it work) in the others.

Possibly have an exemptions list similar to FTouchFlo (I can see you don't like this) so we can add programs that we prefer the D pad to work natively in. Also any chance of kinetic scrolling?
I don't like the idea of an exception list - i want to keep this as simple as possible. On my Toshiba G900 i can disable the scrolling with the camera button - so this would solve the problem of using the DPad as a DPad when needed. I will see how I could add this functionality to other phones (i just need the camera button code)

Thanks, I will. And thanks for the very good feedback.

fisch3009

Jul 13, 2007
This program is a great idea, i missed this feature long time.

I don't like the idea of an exception list - i want to keep this as simple as possible. On my Toshiba G900 i can disable the scrolling with the camera button - so this would solve the problem of using the DPad as a DPad when needed. I will see how I could add this functionality to other phones (i just need the camera button code)

Perhpas you can add an command line option to switch on and off the dpad scroll function, so everybody can map the software to his or her preferred hardwarebutton.

RPG0

May 6, 2006
This program is a great idea, i missed this feature long time.

Perhpas you can add an command line option to switch on and off the dpad scroll function, so everybody can map the software to his or her preferred hardwarebutton.
That's a great idea !
I thought i would make the button configurable in the registry, but the user should know the code of the button. Your way is a lot simpler. I will add it in 0.3b tonight before posting it.
You saved me a lot of time.

Thanks !

RPG0

May 6, 2006
0.03b released
still to do - enable/disable scroll with a button
still to fix - when start menu is opened, the up/down keys scroll the window beneath instead of selecting items in start menu

evojulz

Mar 10, 2007
London
0.04b released - now has enable disable mappable to HW button

Wow, fast development ;)

Installs from CAB and maps to my camera button great.

The switch command doesn't turn it on and off, just opens the RKeyScroll dialogue the same as the RKeyScroll On command. Is this supposed to happen?

I would like it to start and run silently and not even show up in the running programs list and then stop when the switch command is run again.

BTW, still doesn't work in Total Commander for me.

RPG0

May 6, 2006
Wow, fast development ;)

Installs from CAB and maps to my camera button great.

The switch command doesn't turn it on and off, just opens the RKeyScroll dialogue the same as the RKeyScroll On command. Is this supposed to happen?

I would like it to start and run silently and not even show up in the running programs list and then stop when the switch command is run again.

BTW, still doesn't work in Total Commander for me.
Weird, for me the RKeyScroll Switch disables/enables the scroll and the window doesn't get activated(just like i programmed it to do).

Oh, I know. You're closing the app and then running RKeyScroll Switch. Don't click "OK" - this closes the app. Just minimize it, and then press the button mapped to "Switch" - it will work. It will not activate the window again.

About the silent start: That's how I want it to behave, but i got sleepy, so... 0.5b will probably do that.