RMA phone from Google is not unlocking the bootloader

Search This thread

nvrpunk

Jul 13, 2016
It says it's unlockable, but fails.

Code:
platform-tools_r29.0.0-windows\platform-tools>fastboot flashing get_unlock_ability
(bootloader) get_unlock_ability: 1
OKAY [  0.003s]
Finished. Total time: 0.009s

So then:

Code:
platform-tools_r29.0.0-windows\platform-tools>fastboot flashing unlock
FAILED (remote: 'Flashing Unlock is not allowed
')
fastboot: error: Command failed

platform-tools_r29.0.0-windows\platform-tools>fastboot flashing unlock_critical
FAILED (remote: 'unknown command')
fastboot: error: Command failed

If I factory reset, then oem unlock is allowed, but when I simply reboot to the bootloader, and start the phone after, it is greyed out. I feel like I am getting a false positive, except for the command above literally says it should be unlockable. fastboot oem unlock also does not work. I am skipping all options during setup and using Wifi as well only.

Any ideas?

ice711

Jul 16, 2014
East Providence
There's already a thread about it. More than likely your rma is a Verizon phone and they can't be unlocked. Search and you shall find

AgentSoul

Sep 19, 2013
I highly suspect Verizon model. A quick way to solve this is contact Google Pixel Support and give them the IMEI of the phone and ask for them to confirm if it is the VZW or Google Edition. I've done this a couple times to find a used Google Edition phones cause I've had a few duds. Phone support is the quickest, chat support has protocol that might make it hard for them to disclose that information.

ice711

Jul 16, 2014
East Providence
I highly suspect Verizon model. A quick way to solve this is contact Google Pixel Support and give them the IMEI of the phone and ask for them to confirm if it is the VZW or Google Edition. I've done this a couple times to find a used Google Edition phones cause I've had a few duds. Phone support is the quickest, chat support has protocol that might make it hard for them to disclose that information.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2/help/oem-unlocking-grayed-vzw-pixel-2-t3776763