RMM state: prenormal after OEM unlock on Android 9.0

Search This thread

Narkozzz

Apr 2, 2011
Hello!
Got a strange situation: set up new Note9, updated it to Pie, connected to Wi-Fi and did OEM unlock instantly rebooting to Odin mode to flash TWRP, but instead of this I got RMM state: prenormal message (should be RMM state: checking in Pie) and KG state : checking. Booted back in OS, set it up and see OEM unlock active in Development options. Unlocked lots of samsung devices - but they are all always got me RMM checking and let flash TWRP instantly in PIE. Is this some new security feature or its because I updated to PIE from Oreo and still have to wait 7 days for unlock?

bober10113

Mar 12, 2017
Hello!
Got a strange situation: set up new Note9, updated it to Pie, connected to Wi-Fi and did OEM unlock instantly rebooting to Odin mode to flash TWRP, but instead of this I got RMM state: prenormal message (should be RMM state: checking in Pie) and KG state : checking. Booted back in OS, set it up and see OEM unlock active in Development options. Unlocked lots of samsung devices - but they are all always got me RMM checking and let flash TWRP instantly in PIE. Is this some new security feature or its because I updated to PIE from Oreo and still have to wait 7 days for unlock?

the waiting periode is not the issue. if oem unlock is there then no wait was needed.

the real problem was not reading the guides section attentively. check for dr.ketans guide and follow it through.

you should be using method 1 in the guide.

and again follow it from a to z.

now flash back stock firmware and start the procedure again.

Narkozzz

Apr 2, 2011
the waiting periode is not the issue. if oem unlock is there then no wait was needed.

the real problem was not reading the guides section attentively. check for dr.ketans guide and follow it through.

The problem is RMM prenormal state even after clean flash of stock rom and oem unlock enabled. I cant flash anything non-signed. With all respect to dr.ketan I have mine experience that never failed before - RMM checking always appear after unlock on Pie. So I asking people who could have same issue - will it change from prenormal to checking in 7 days or I better flash Oreo and wait 168 hours?

Reactions: sig-239

bober10113

Mar 12, 2017
The problem is RMM prenormal state even after clean flash of stock rom and oem unlock enabled. I cant flash anything non-signed. With all respect to dr.ketan I have mine experience that never failed before - RMM checking always appear after unlock on Pie. So I asking people who could have same issue - will it change from prenormal to checking in 7 days or I better flash Oreo and wait 168 hours?

fine dont read and follow the guide to flash his root oem fix root v5

sheesh

here are some more details since you are new to note 9.

here an other zip that does partially what ketans does:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhXVLDDj8g3AgrxVEeICKZil9BIAUA?e=kpfiM9

it has no kernel nor magisk.

ketan has a kernel and magisk AND rmm state fix that should make device be able to boot while on custom recovery as the kernel needs to be patched in order to boot.

Last edited:

Narkozzz

Apr 2, 2011

fine dont read and follow the guide to flash his root oem fix root v5

sheesh

here are some more details since you are new to note 9.

here an other zip that does partially what ketans does:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhXVLDDj8g3AgrxVEeICKZil9BIAUA?e=kpfiM9

it has no kernel nor magisk.

ketan has a kernel and magisk AND rmm state fix that should make device be able to boot while on custom recovery as the kernel needs to be patched in order to boot.

Thank you for trying to help me, friend. But you misses the core thing - to flash anything mentioned in dr.ketan's guide I have to flash TWRP first. But I cant flash TWRP since I have RMM state prenormal mode alongside with unlocked bootloader. Even after reflash of stock rom. So the only question in my situation is: will RMM state change after 168 hours wait on Pie, or I need to flash Oreo rom first and wait. I am not new neither to Note9 unlocking, not to Samsung devices and have all needed tools to fix OEM and RMM issue AFTER I will get a chance to flash TWRP.

bober10113

Mar 12, 2017
Thank you for trying to help me, friend. But you misses the core thing - to flash anything mentioned in dr.ketan's guide I have to flash TWRP first. But I cant flash TWRP since I have RMM state prenormal mode alongside with unlocked bootloader. Even after reflash of stock rom. So the only question in my situation is: will RMM state change after 168 hours wait on Pie, or I need to flash Oreo rom first and wait. I am not new neither to Note9 unlocking, not to Samsung devices and have all needed tools to fix OEM and RMM issue AFTER I will get a chance to flash TWRP.
flash stock. boot to home screen make it check for updates in the software menu once. check dev tool if OEM unlock is there. if it is a unlocked flash twrp. and boot directly to recovery after odin finishes. in recovery format data in wipe menu and type yes. go to reboot menu and choose reboot to recovery. flash ketans oem root fix v5 in aroma setup choose to flash kernel and magisk.

ive had your issue before. its not complicated. just do what i said if your oem unlock is there and unlocked. if its vanished and want it to appear then there are guides to make it appear instead of waiting.

also do you want oreo or pie? ketan has both. just read..

Last edited:

Narkozzz

Apr 2, 2011
You are not listening: I flashed stock; I connected to WiFi; I do see OEM unlock enabled in Development Options; Still I have RMM state prenormal in Odin mode and cant flash TWRP.

Reactions: breversa

bober10113

Mar 12, 2017
You are not listening: I flashed stock; I connected to WiFi; I do see OEM unlock enabled in Development Options; Still I have RMM state prenormal in Odin mode and cant flash TWRP.
well if you dont try as i said of course youll never know.

again, i had your issue and alot of people as well. please use xda search feature and read. if not then dont post for help if you dont want help.

bininga59

Jun 13, 2014
Böblingen

I also have the problem, but with the S10.
OEM activation active, even reactivated in download mode, so OEM activation is gray. Even the trick with the 8 days did not help - it remains prenormal.

Axomx

Aug 9, 2019
I am in the same situation, the rmm state prenormal still continues
even when I have the OEM unlocked, in fact I tried to do it through the chimera
program, but for having the June android security patch (CSF2)
the chimera friends commented to me that for that reason I could not do the
unlocking of rmm through their program, they told me that they worked on a
solution for it, but they did not give me an estimate of time, I guess we will
have to wait for a solution from them, since searching and reading most of the post,
none worked for me, I'm stuck in not being able to flash TRWP, so I can't really do anything.
I hope someone finds a solution or that through the chimera program, we can correct that problem.

Felix249

Apr 6, 2016
I'm facing same problem on sm-a730f, the rmm state prenormal still active
even when I have the OEM unlocked

cstropz

Jan 29, 2017
RMM state prenormal fix for non-US phones

@bober10113 et al, specially non-US folks :)

I guess these guys are suffering the same as me, it is exactly like what @Narkozzz said. RMM state prenormal (even with OEM already unlocked!!!) won't allow for flashing one single thing other than official binaries e.g. TWRP without which we can do nothing (the fixes are only prevention, not remedying).

Skimming through Samsung international forums abroad and other websites I saw the solution consists in installing the SIM card, flashing stock with Odin again, and then keeping the cellphone, the simcard and the mobile data turned on constantly. Eventually after 7 days, on in some cases more than a month, that state will reset back and we will then be able to flash TWRP and the RMM bypass, plus noverity etc. etc. :)

Ketan also mentioned that in the comments in his topic, although he did not mention specifically about keeping the simcard together with mobile data enabled during all the time ;)

I'm about to flash mine now and wait with everything enabled, following that solution.

Will report back in here after a while ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:

BorepYano

Oct 4, 2019
For what it's worth, I'm going to share what I've done; since it seems like I've somehow just stumbled through the same issue on my note 9, without having to wait any substantial amount of time. Hopefully it's of some use to someone.

I originally had N960FXXU3CSF9 (rooted with TWRP installed) on my Exynos Note 9; flashed stock N960FXXS3CSG5 using Odin, got about half way through the new device setting up process then black screen with "Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed" message.

Me rambling about my fails
After the initial 30 minutes of panic and swearing, got the phone to download mode (Volume Down + Bixby, plug in USB from PC), then various combinations of trying to flash the same stock N960FXXS3CSG5 rom, TWRP, trying to install no-verity-opt-encrypt and Magisk-v18.0. The only change I noticed was RMM state sometimes seems to be stuck on "checking" instead of "Prenormal" while in download mode sometimes; either way, all ends with the same "Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed" brick.

Last ditch attempt that worked for me:
(from RMM msg brick)
- Volume Down + Bixby, plug in USB from PC to Download mode
- Flashed the old N960FXXU3CSF9 stock rom with Odin;
- Turned phone off after 1st reboot after ^;
- Flashed twrp-3.2.3-0-crownlte_UNOFFICIAL.tar.md5
- Held down Volume Up + Bixby + Power before reboot from ^, to boot straight to TWRP recovery
- Transferred N960F_DS_N_PIE_Root_for_OEM_issue_devices_V5.zip & Magisk-v18.0.zip from PC to external SD card
- From TWRP, Wipe - Format Data - "yes"; after format is done, press back to first TWRP page
- Install N960F_DS_N_PIE_Root_for_OEM_issue_devices_V5.zip
- Install Magisk-v18.0.zip
- Wipe Dalvik Cache
- Reboot to System

More rambling
it then took a few minutes with boot img before "optimizing apps" (I assume this is code for Samsung black magic and murdering imaginary orphans?) then eventually I got to enter my details through the new device set up process... for the 10th time today. So far it's been about 6hrs since I've put all my apps back, in developer options OEM unlocking is off, but
I have root access back, and everything seems to be fine.

Sorry that I kept jumping between tenses and waffled on a bit there; it's been a long 20 hrs of reading forums, articles, hand cramps death gripping phone buttons and bashing head against desks. Hope this is useful to someone, I'm off to find 2 tin cans and some string.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are your devices warranty void 1 (0 x 0000)? if so it's (completely speculating) knoxed-guarded. I figure we have to bring it back to "warranty good" before we even think about prenormal.

Note: There are steps you can take to skip a 7-day wait in 3 minutes

1. Activate Developer settings
    2. search and turn of automatic system update
    3. Go to time settings and deactivate automatic time*
    4. Turn back the day for more than 7 days. ( I have turned to the 10th Apri 2019)
    5. Search for Software update -> Don't install update
    6. Look if latest time searched for updates is the date which you have set. (for me 10th Apri 2019)
    7. Reboot your device
    8. go into the time settings and reactivate the automatic time
    9. Search again for software update - > Still don't install
    10. Go to Developer settings
    11. deactivate OEM Unlock and reactivate
    12. Go to download mode and you will don't see RMM state

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Hello!

Note: There are steps you can take to skip a 7-day wait in 3 minutes

1. Activate Developer settings
    2. search and turn of automatic system update
    3. Go to time settings and deactivate automatic time*
    4. Turn back the day for more than 7 days. ( I have turned to the 10th Apri 2019)
    5. Search for Software update -> Don't install update
    6. Look if latest time searched for updates is the date which you have set. (for me 10th Apri 2019)
    7. Reboot your device
    8. go into the time settings and reactivate the automatic time
    9. Search again for software update - > Still don't install
    10. Go to Developer settings
    11. deactivate OEM Unlock and reactivate
    12. Go to download mode and you will don't see RMM state
    Hello, do you have a link for the manual?
    Have been looking for a long time and geffen nothing.
    Maybe I will continue with the instructions to get the "prenormal" away
    https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-9/how-to/root-note-9-n960f-fd-experimental-t3832143
    For what it's worth, I'm going to share what I've done; since it seems like I've somehow just stumbled through the same issue on my note 9, without having to wait any substantial amount of time. Hopefully it's of some use to someone.

I originally had N960FXXU3CSF9 (rooted with TWRP installed) on my Exynos Note 9; flashed stock N960FXXS3CSG5 using Odin, got about half way through the new device setting up process then black screen with "Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed" message.

Me rambling about my fails
    After the initial 30 minutes of panic and swearing, got the phone to download mode (Volume Down + Bixby, plug in USB from PC), then various combinations of trying to flash the same stock N960FXXS3CSG5 rom, TWRP, trying to install no-verity-opt-encrypt and Magisk-v18.0. The only change I noticed was RMM state sometimes seems to be stuck on "checking" instead of "Prenormal" while in download mode sometimes; either way, all ends with the same "Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed" brick.

Last ditch attempt that worked for me:
    (from RMM msg brick)
    - Flashed the old N960FXXU3CSF9 stock rom with Odin;
    - Turned phone off after 1st reboot after ^;
    - Flashed twrp-3.2.3-0-crownlte_UNOFFICIAL.tar.md5
    - Held down Volume Up + Bixby + Power before reboot from ^, to boot straight to TWRP recovery
    - Transferred N960F_DS_N_PIE_Root_for_OEM_issue_devices_V5.zip & Magisk-v18.0.zip from PC to external SD card
    - From TWRP, Wipe - Format Data - "yes"; after format is done, press back to first TWRP page
    - Install N960F_DS_N_PIE_Root_for_OEM_issue_devices_V5.zip
    - Install Magisk-v18.0.zip
    - Wipe Dalvik Cache
    - Reboot to System

More rambling
    it then took a few minutes with boot img before "optimizing apps" (I assume this is code for Samsung black magic and murdering imaginary orphans?) then eventually I got to enter my details through the new device set up process... for the 10th time today. So far it's been about 6hrs since I've put all my apps back, in developer options OEM unlocking is off, but
    I have root access back, and everything seems to be fine.

Sorry that I kept jumping between tenses and waffled on a bit there; it's been a long 20 hrs of reading forums, articles, hand cramps death gripping phone buttons and bashing head against desks. Hope this is useful to someone, I'm off to find 2 tin cans and some string.
    Mr bober
    with due respect sorry to say that you are not understanding problem... :)

as Narkozzz and other members said its problem about new KnoxGuard with RMM state issue

now listen and understand:
    you always refer to that mr katan guide which needs RMM STATE : CHECKING / COMPLETED
    but the problem is this
    RMM STATE : PRENORMAL
    even after OEM option TurnON in setting
    (Understand now???)

the issue is with Gatekeeper KnoxGuard not turn off in anyway to allow flash twrp (got it???)

also little intro about my self:
    i m in mobile sodtware field since from 16Years
    and know little bit better than normal people

Samsung New Security KnoxGuard GateKeeper RMM and Signed Signature Boots hard to penetrate into :(
    but good news is still many loop holes available to crack security.

now come to this thread and phone actual issue:
    in new phone security... samsung put 5different security checks
    1st sboot
    2nd param
    3rd md5 crc
    4th vendor
    5th odm omc

short example:
    if flash combination then sboot and param unlocked temporary with factory default signed files allow...
    in this state you can flash patched system and boot but it will not boot phobe properly bcoz md5 hash mismatch error and system crash.
    the possible solution is merge combination and official files with new security patches replaced by combinations factory security.

Hope this will light-up some new solutions
    Regards
    Mr. MahiL

Just wanted to say thank you for posting the link. I tried searching a lot of different words for dr.ketan and could not pull up the thread you posted. Thank you.