• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

ROG 2 shuts down when charging

Search This thread

laidbacker

May 6, 2020
Me too!!!!!! SAME ISSUE

hope someone can find fix...

My phone shuts down when
*90hz or 120hz is turned on
*When playing a game
*When charged using 18w and above
*When X mode is turned on

And when it dies, it will take so many attempts before it will turn back on...

Now, im only using my Gaming phone for
Netflix, Youtube, and Facebook mainly..

Ron951

Jun 2, 2021
Bruh it's 2021 already and I'm still having this issue, there's still no solution for this? It's so annoying, at first my phone shuts down while I'm charging it and opening apps that was okay for me, but now it starts shutting down while I'm playing games and it's so annoying, someone please help!

l2aYz

Nov 30, 2019
my phone has this issue too. It's a hardware fault. properly will happen to everyone eventually. the cause properly from heat issue.

It's a common problem for ROG2 and will happen more often. usually, you can fix it by change IC or new motherboard which requires both skills and tools, or just buy a part and find some mobile service to fix them for you.

But the problem still exists even you replace the part it will happen again after years or two depending on how do you use your phone.

john_boham

Nov 3, 2015
Set 60hz both phone and in game, everything back to normal.
90hz and 120hz makes everything crash.

Edited:
It is fix for blackout while in game, but not for auto shutdown when heat or framedrop

Last edited:

b0b0ch1

Dec 25, 2017
oh ****.. It happened with mine too...
I used mine for about 2 years and suddenly last week it happened. I tried to search for solution on internet and found that it happens to many people too.
Last week it suddenly shut down if I used the phone while charging, but now even though I'm not using it while charging, it turns off. Probably it will get worse as the time goes by.

Anyone tried hard reset?

I got no hope in replacing some IC on its board, so I'm looking for some easier solution.

Last edited:

venkatesh321

Mar 4, 2019
The problem is within asus thermal engine.
oh ****.. It happened with mine too...
I used mine for about 2 years and suddenly last week it happened. I tried to search for solution on internet and found that it happens to many people too.
Last week it suddenly shut down if I used the phone while charging, but now even though I'm not using it while charging, it turns off. Probably it will get worse as the time goes by.

Anyone tried hard reset?

I got no hope in replacing some IC on its board, so I'm looking for some easier solution.

b0b0ch1

Dec 25, 2017
So.. there's no hope to solve this issue without repairing the hardware then...

Thanks mate.

Palash9033

Oct 5, 2021
try using ACCA magisk module along with acca app for now. & use pause charging. set it to cooldown the phone for few seconds like charge for 1 minute and pause 5-10 seconds. and place the device where there is flow of air
Charging only is not the problem while using GCam/Gaming it reboot..Will it help for those scenario as well

do0mas5t3r

Jan 13, 2017
Lol, this thread is still alive so issue with ROG 2 still persists.

Any luck with modded roms and kernels?