Question Rog 3 Temperature

Search This thread

Thanos88

Apr 28, 2019
Hi, I want to buy the Rog 5 but I've heard that it has high temperatures even from light use (like when using YouTube it reaches 40degrees celcius). How are the overall thermals? I'm not talking about throttling I'm talking about general temperature when using the phone for light tasks. Any info would be highly appreciated. Also any info on battery life would be great too

Oxydrix

Oct 22, 2014
From what I have heard from Youtube and reddit, It is a hot phone because it keeps internals in a good temperature, plus they achieved better temperature after update.

Thanos88

Apr 28, 2019
From what I have heard from Youtube and reddit, It is a hot phone because it keeps internals in a good temperature, plus they achieved better temperature after update.
But having a warm phone isn't a good sign is it? I'm currently using a huawei p40 pro plus and it's super cool (probably because of the ceramic body). You mentioned an update, so is the rog 5 cooler after the update? On YouTube Technick ran a battery drain test and the Rog 5's peak temp was almost 60 degrees celcius :(

Oxydrix

Oct 22, 2014
But having a warm phone isn't a good sign is it? I'm currently using a huawei p40 pro plus and it's super cool (probably because of the ceramic body). You mentioned an update, so is the rog 5 cooler after the update? On YouTube Technick ran a battery drain test and the Rog 5's peak temp was almost 60 degrees celcius :(
I don't know about the reliability of this man, but look here

cotov

Dec 27, 2019
ASUS ROG Phone 5
I got it a few days back, I can share some impressions. Yes, it's a hot phone. Yes CPU temp gets up to about 40 degrees sometimes when browsing or multitasking. Gaming also gets it to about 45 - 50 on CODM and Dead Cells and between 55 and upwards of 60 with Genshin Impact. A Peltier effect cooler like the FunCooler from black shark brings this down about 10 degrees. This temperature is mostly felt at the center of the display, while the sides on the back, where the batteries are, remain noticeably cooler. Perhaps their goal was to dissipate het through the display, idk.

I haven't been able to notice any drop in performance yet, even with the thermal limit set to low. What I don't know is how this affects the chip long term, but I hope it doesn't degrade for at least about 5 years. Either way I'm sticking with a cooler for Genshin impact just to make sure the device lasts longer.

Thanos88

Apr 28, 2019
I got it a few days back, I can share some impressions. Yes, it's a hot phone. Yes CPU temp gets up to about 40 degrees sometimes when browsing or multitasking. Gaming also gets it to about 45 - 50 on CODM and Dead Cells and between 55 and upwards of 60 with Genshin Impact. A Peltier effect cooler like the FunCooler from black shark brings this down about 10 degrees. This temperature is mostly felt at the center of the display, while the sides on the back, where the batteries are, remain noticeably cooler. Perhaps their goal was to dissipate het through the display, idk.

I haven't been able to notice any drop in performance yet, even with the thermal limit set to low. What I don't know is how this affects the chip long term, but I hope it doesn't degrade for at least about 5 years. Either way I'm sticking with a cooler for Genshin impact just to make sure the device lasts longer.
Thanks for the reply. 40 degrees from just web browsing is ridiculous. Rather dangerously high and will definitely degrade batteries. Think I'll give the rog 5 a miss

cotov

Dec 27, 2019
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Thanks for the reply. 40 degrees from just web browsing is ridiculous. Rather dangerously high and will definitely degrade batteries. Think I'll give the rog 5 a miss
40 is the CPU reading I get. Batteries stay about 5 degrees below the CPU for normal use generally according to my observations, just to make that clear. Not sure which battery temp it's actually reading though, since there are 2 batteries.

Thanos88

Apr 28, 2019
40 is the CPU reading I get. Batteries stay about 5 degrees below the CPU for normal use generally according to my observations, just to make that clear. Not sure which battery temp it's actually reading though, since there are 2 batteries

40 is the CPU reading I get. Batteries stay about 5 degrees below the CPU for normal use generally according to my observations, just to make that clear. Not sure which battery temp it's actually reading though, since there are 2 batteries.
40 is still too high though for normal usage. I've never heard of a phone go that warm. My huawei sits at 22 maximum.

Oxydrix

Oct 22, 2014
Phone arrived 2 days ago, in my experience It Is not that hot, while browsing / YouTube / Instagram It Is cool (about 31/32 °c) and my ambient temperature Is around 20 °. I have played 1 hour call of duty and It reached 37 ° on the cpu, while the phone was hotter, especially in the middle. I think this Is how It works, getting hot outside to be colder inside. Also I updated to firmware 2102.81 which helped a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thanos88

Thanos88

Apr 28, 2019
Phone arrived 2 days ago, in my experience It Is not that hot, while browsing / YouTube / Instagram It Is cool (about 21/22 °c) and my ambient temperature Is around 20 °. I have played 1 hour call of duty and It reached 37 ° on the cpu, while the phone was hotter, especially in the middle. I think this Is how It works, getting hot outside to be colder inside. Also I updated to firmware 2102.81 which helped a lot.
Thanks for this!! I'll probably buy one now

Reactions: Oxydrix

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know about the reliability of this man, but look here
    Thanks man. This really helped.
    Phone arrived 2 days ago, in my experience It Is not that hot, while browsing / YouTube / Instagram It Is cool (about 31/32 °c) and my ambient temperature Is around 20 °. I have played 1 hour call of duty and It reached 37 ° on the cpu, while the phone was hotter, especially in the middle. I think this Is how It works, getting hot outside to be colder inside. Also I updated to firmware 2102.81 which helped a lot.
    Phone arrived 2 days ago, in my experience It Is not that hot, while browsing / YouTube / Instagram It Is cool (about 21/22 °c) and my ambient temperature Is around 20 °. I have played 1 hour call of duty and It reached 37 ° on the cpu, while the phone was hotter, especially in the middle. I think this Is how It works, getting hot outside to be colder inside. Also I updated to firmware 2102.81 which helped a lot.
    Thanks for this!! I'll probably buy one now
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone