ROG Battery life

Search This thread

sainantha

Dec 26, 2017
Hi guys just bought the ROG phone 2 a week ago, just would like to know about the Battery life? I've done all the settings recommended by the battery optimization module suchs screen brightness and screen timeout etc. I also turned off my GPS but I noticed after sleeping for 9hours or so after leaving my phone idle the battery which was initially 90% dropped to 83%. Is that normal? Cause I've seen youtube claim u can game for 3 hours and the battery will only drop by 5%. Or is that only when u turn on xmode? Also I do leave my mobile data turned on but is that enough to drain the battery to this extend?

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Xiaomi Poco F3
Thanks for the exposition but not really what I'm looking for
Good word! :exposition

Can't shed any light on your query, but can add, if have data/reception switched on, it will consume more or less depending on your signal strength as it searches for the strongest source. So it'll vary user to user.

If not informative... Oh well, at least, I had some input lol

sainantha

Dec 26, 2017
Good word! :exposition

Can't shed any light on your query, but can add, if have data/reception switched on, it will consume more or less depending on your signal strength as it searches for the strongest source. So it'll vary user to user.

If not informative... Oh well, at least, I had some input lol

Thanks any input is better than none at all. So it's relatively normal that my battery drains 8 - 10 percent when idle? It's because of the signal strength? It doesn't really bother me much but I would just like to make sure that's it's within the norm and not faulty battery or something

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Xiaomi Poco F3
Thanks any input is better than none at all. So it's relatively normal that my battery drains 8 - 10 percent when idle? It's because of the signal strength? It doesn't really bother me much but I would just like to make sure that's it's within the norm and not faulty battery or something
Doubt its a faulty battery. And no doubt there are more factors involved than only signal strength, but yeah,signal strength does play a part in it. It might not make too much difference while your at home ie in one place, but you're on the move as the phone goes in and out of stronger or weaker signal areas, the phone has to keep scanning for the best possible connection, which consumes more battery.
I haven't noticed a great deal of difference running latest A10 update (2004.60) compared to A9, but others favour A9 for better battery. Which version are you on? Some say latest A10 is on par with A9, others disagree. Each to their own!

Personally I don't monitor it religiously, so not sure what my percentage drop per hour or over a given time frame is, so I can't advise you on that.

Battery for me lasts about 2 days with some to spare and a fair amount of usage. I only play Bike Race, I'm not a hardcore gamer. That's good enough for me and similar to what it was on A9. Not too sure of screen on time

Edit: actually, just noticed my battery is at 11 percent, the screenshot should give you a fair idea of what to expect... Obviously, I varies on apps installed /in use too. There's probably more factors, not too sure

Last edited:

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Xiaomi Poco F3
Here you go

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200526-061635208.jpg
    Screenshot_20200526-061635208.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 122

sainantha

Dec 26, 2017
Doubt its a faulty battery. And no doubt there are more factors involved than only signal strength, but yeah,signal strength does play a part in it. It might not make too much difference while your at home ie in one place, but you're on the move as the phone goes in and out of stronger or weaker signal areas, the phone has to keep scanning for the best possible connection, which consumes more battery.
I haven't noticed a great deal of difference running latest A10 update (2004.60) compared to A9, but others favour A9 for better battery. Which version are you on? Some say latest A10 is on par with A9, others disagree. Each to their own!

Personally I don't monitor it religiously, so not sure what my percentage drop per hour or over a given time frame is, so I can't advise you on that.

Battery for me lasts about 2 days with some to spare and a fair amount of usage. I only play Bike Race, I'm not a hardcore gamer. That's good enough for me and similar to what it was on A9. Not too sure of screen on time

Edit: actually, just noticed my battery is at 11 percent, the screenshot should give you a fair idea of what to expect... Obviously, I varies on apps installed /in use too. There's probably more factors, not too sure

Thanks it does clear up some things and also I'm on A9 but u've mentioned battery lasts for 2days? Is your mobile data turned on? Frankly I've noticed my battery does tend to drop faster when mobile data is turned on so it might be as u've mentioned about mobile data and the signal strength. Although I don't really get out much since the entirety of the outside world looks straight outta fallout 4. But find it hard to believe the phone just drop 5 percent of battery after 3 hours of intensive gaming( according to youtube anyway ) considering it drops way below that point even when idle.

Last edited:

oberio28

Jul 1, 2019
Yes, the signal strength from your mobile network operator does affect the battery consumption.. I've noticed this when I am at remote areas.. It's plausible for the 5% drop in battery during gaming if you have turned on the airplane mode..

HermesHidayat

Feb 6, 2017
I have been using the ROGPHONE 2 since January 2020. Only way the battery is draining faster than it should are 2 reasons.

1st is there is a defect.
2nd is weak cellular signal.

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Xiaomi Poco F3
Thanks it does clear up some things and also I'm on A9 but u've mentioned battery lasts for 2days? Is your mobile data turned on? Frankly I've noticed my battery does tend to drop faster when mobile data is turned on so it might be as u've mentioned about mobile data and the signal strength. Although I don't really get out much since the entirety of the outside world looks straight outta fallout 4. But find it hard to believe the phone just drop 5 percent of battery after 3 hours of intensive gaming( according to youtube anyway ) considering it drops way below that point even when idle.

Yep, data, wifi and bluetooth all switched on with 120Hz screen and X-mode always on

Reactions: sainantha

sainantha

Dec 26, 2017
Yes, the signal strength from your mobile network operator does affect the battery consumption.. I've noticed this when I am at remote areas.. It's plausible for the 5% drop in battery during gaming if you have turned on the airplane mode..

Owhh right, they nvrn mention it in the videos though. But makes sense

sainantha

Dec 26, 2017
I have been using the ROGPHONE 2 since January 2020. Only way the battery is draining faster than it should are 2 reasons.

1st is there is a defect.
2nd is weak cellular signal.

Hopefully not the first point but the second makes sense since I am living in quite the rural area currently. May need to check back the signal strength once I'm back in the city.

TikiThePug

Feb 10, 2013
Another useful, repeated,offtopic thread
Enviado desde mi ASUS_I001DC mediante Tapatalk
Another useless, repeated, off-topic XDA member :rolleyes:

Hi guys just bought the ROG phone 2 a week ago, just would like to know about the Battery life? I've done all the settings recommended by the battery optimization module suchs screen brightness and screen timeout etc. I also turned off my GPS but I noticed after sleeping for 9hours or so after leaving my phone idle the battery which was initially 90% dropped to 83%. Is that normal? Cause I've seen youtube claim u can game for 3 hours and the battery will only drop by 5%. Or is that only when u turn on xmode? Also I do leave my mobile data turned on but is that enough to drain the battery to this extend?
Your issue is most likely one (or more) of a few things:
  1. If you're on Android 10, which in my experience has battery drain and heating issues (that's why I downgraded to Android 9)
  2. You have some frequent wakelocks that are keeping the phone awake and draining your battery (if you have root, or don't mind rooting, flash Kirisakura kernel and install EX Kernel Manager to see the top wakelocks)
  3. You have apps in the background that are auto-starting and taking up network bandwidth, even when your phone is idle (check under Settings > Battery > PowerMaster > Auto-start manager and disable the apps which you don't rely on for constant notifications)
Hope that helps you.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermesHidayat

sainantha

Dec 26, 2017

1. You're on Android 10, which in my experience has battery drain and heating issues (that's why I downgraded to Android 9)
  2. You have some frequent wakelocks that are keeping the phone awake and draining your battery (if you have root, or don't mind rooting, flash Kirisakura kernel and install EX Kernel Manager to see the top wakelocks)
  3. You have apps in the background that are auto-starting and taking up network bandwidth, even when your phone is idle (check under Settings > Battery > PowerMaster > Auto-start manager and disable the apps which you don't rely on for constant notifications)
Hope that helps you.

Thanks for the input but I'm on Android 9 and I've also heard bout the links with Android 10. I am curious bout rooting it though

HermesHidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Hopefully not the first point but the second makes sense since I am living in quite the rural area currently. May need to check back the signal strength once I'm back in the city.

Rural area... City outskirts? Sounds fun. Stop playing with the phone. Enjoy life.

Only phone i have used before and doesn't seem to drain because of weak cellular signal is the Huawei P30 Pro. Then my current ROGPHONE 2... Owh wait you want to see weak cellular signal kill a phone really fast? Get a Note 10+.... Gets killed in 3 hours. Lmao.

---------- Post added at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 AM ----------

Just had to like your reply. Hahahaha.

Reactions: TikiThePug

sainantha

Dec 26, 2017
Rural area... City outskirts? Sounds fun. Stop playing with the phone. Enjoy life.

Only phone i have used before and doesn't seem to drain because of weak cellular signal is the Huawei P30 Pro. Then my current ROGPHONE 2... Owh wait you want to see weak cellular signal kill a phone really fast? Get a Note 10+.... Gets killed in 3 hours. Lmao.

---------- Post added at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 AM ----------

Lol ain't much to do with the current pandemic ?

That's why the ROG came in

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yep, data, wifi and bluetooth all switched on with 120Hz screen and X-mode always on
    Another useful, repeated,offtopic thread
    Enviado desde mi ASUS_I001DC mediante Tapatalk

1. If you're on Android 10, which in my experience has battery drain and heating issues (that's why I downgraded to Android 9)
    Hope that helps you.